Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Spring Classic - Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway May 18-20 (This weekend!)

Old 05-16-2018, 03:33 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts
Default Spring Classic - Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway May 18-20 (This weekend!)

This weekend's 2nd Annual Spring Classic at Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway is a smaller, more locally focused historic race but with no less action than the famed Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion held in August. (Posted here in this section as well.)

If you're not up for the crowds, hoopla, and let's face it, prices of hotels surrounding the RMMR, but want to see the "old iron" duke it out (no garage queens here), this is the event for you!

Old stock cars, IMSA and SCCA racers, F1, Indycars from the 60s to the 90s and much more run at this event.

And this year, a new twist has been added: NITRO REVIVAL!! Yep, nitromethane burning AA fuel dragsters will be firing up (but not running, no drag strip) and showing off those polished 6-71 blowers and flames from zoomie headers for the first time at Laguna Seca (and also downtown Monterey on Friday!) Don't forget to bring your ear plugs!!! These aren't just L-O-U-D, they're deafening!!

General Info: http://www.weathertechraceway.com/sp...-nitro-revival

Here's some snaps from last year's 1st Annual Spring Classic just to give you some flavor... heavily biased towards Datsuns.... for some reason.

Glenn Chiou's S30 (He ran at this year's Mitty but do not know if he'll be here this year. Hope so. Entry list doesn't list him but late entries filled out the paddock last year.)

Obligatory "Corkscrew" pic.

The Skyline of Alex McDowell, fresh from The Mitty at Road Atlanta last month, wlll be at the Classic with backstop from Z Car Garage. (That's Rob Fuller, owner of ZCG on the left.)

Runoffs winning 280ZX of Morris Clement (back in the '80s as I recall.)

Trans Am car originally driven by Sam Posey!

If you don't recognize the name on this car, you need to be here to complete your schooling! Sir Jackie wants you to know about him.

Hope to see you there!!

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-17-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just wanted to share a few pics from this past weekend's 2nd Annual Spring Classic at newly re-named Weathertech Laguna Seca Raceway. (With pre-apologies for not knowing all the owner/drivers!! If your car is here, own up, please!!

Fresh from the win at the Mitty, the Rock Vest SRL:

Owned and driven by Michael Anderson. Mike will also be at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, August 26-28, Weathertech Laguna Seca.

Top of T8 - Corkscrew shots (have to include these since WLSR loves to feature the trademark turn, which IS amazing despite being overhyped. )

But yeah, brings back awesome memories of my days in my similarly prepared roadster 35 years ago!

More Roadster!

Racing doesn't get much better with a roadster chasing down a Porsche! Yes!

Here I am rubbing elbows with a TV celebrity! Laff!

Had to give Rob Fuller (of Z Car Garage) a rashing about his "Guest Starring Role" on last week's "JDM Legends" thusly: "Oh it's you, Rob, surprised to see you're still hangin' out with us regular folk, Mr. TV Star!" Hahahaha. Was sitting there on my couch watching them restore a Hakosuka GTR when suddenly, there's Rob on my big screen at JCCS last year with Eric and Josh from JDM Legends showing Gary Stephenson's OS Giken S30. ( http://www.zcarblog.com/2015/11/13/e...sema-show.html ) Made my wife jump.... "HEY, THERE'S ROB!!"

Here's Rob on track with a pretty storied local Dime.

Not sure if it's the same car or not; but I may or may not have supported this 510 back when I was with Datsun Competition (a part of the "Bay Area Datsun Dealers" as shown on side of car) - roughly the same timeframe I spent behind the wheel. Whew... long time ago!

EDIT: This is NOT the original FAR Performance car I thought it might be. It is a very exacting tribute car built and run by Larry Oka, of Larry Oka Racing Services. ( http://larryoka.com/ ) What an amazingly cool car!

Speaking of Hakosuka GTRs...

Alex McDowell's GTR from last year's Classic: http://www.zcarblog.com/2017/06/12/e...g-classic.html

In addition to all of the vintage sports cars, the hot rod and drag racing crowds (new for this year) were there with some really cool iron. And there were cars and people there that were my idols and cars of my dreams from when I wasn't even yet a teenager!

The famous twin engine gas rail, John Peters' Freight Train (had this one plastered all over my wall, much to my parents' chagrin over all the pin holes!)

One of the famed Hemi-Under-Glass wheelstanders of the 60's-70's

Got a signed copy of Big Daddy Don Garlits' book!

Last month with Peter Brock and this month Don Garlits?? Life is good!

You might say the sponsor of this car's got things covered...

Fun weekend!! Will we see you there next year!? I just made the "executive decision" to bring my roadster to the Historics in August! And trying to coordinate with Rob to get the car into ZCG for a full go-through and dyno. Not running it but will definitely do the parade lap with Z Owners Nor Cal (which is also open to 510s, Roadsters).

Parting shots:

"So, if you buy the Golden Gate Bridge from me, I'll throw in this bonus gift!! Operators are standing by for your bid!" (Ehhhh, sales people.... Hahaha!)

Can you spot the appropriate-if-not-exactly-period-correct artifact in this L20 (or 16 or 18 or...) 510? Clue: catch can.

Cheers!

Mic

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-31-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:10 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Great photos, Mic- the rest of us wish we'd been there!
Old 05-21-2018, 03:13 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Great photos, Mic- the rest of us wish we'd been there!
Well, I'm confident I'll see at least you at Sonoma in October!!

Mark your calendars!! October 16-21! West Coast based Runoffs this year, people! Be there to cheer on David!!!

And watch and laff at me fumble with some lugnuts. "Ummmm, lessee, howzit go.... righty tighty, lefty lucy.... wait, is that right? "