Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Hotspots in Honolulu (Nightclubs/Restaurants)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 PM
fe2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotspots in Honolulu (Nightclubs/Restaurants)?

Hey, I'm visiting Honolulu next week. What nightclubs are happening these days? And any good recommendations on good restaurants (all kinds of food is fine). Thank in advance.

Can't wait for the sunny weather, been raining in Seattle all week.

I haven't been to Honolulu in about ten years, should be a nice little vacation!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
punish_her

Its rained every day I've been back. So dont get your hopes too high. At least you will have warm weather .

As for the clubs I cant help you too much, I travel too much to get into any club scene here. Hell I've been here 3 years and have only gone to one club, and that was as a DD. So no dice here. Sorry.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 AM
whitecel

Depending on what crowd you want will determine where is good. Haven't been clubbing in a long while, but here's my opinion. Too bad ocean's isn't around anymore

Asians: Fashion 45 (biased since i know 1 of the investors), O Lounge

Mainland People/Military: Zanzabar, Senor Frongs(sp?)

Stay Away From: Pipeline, Red Lion
Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

^ Sounds pretty accurate. What kind of "food" are you looking for... just good restaurants or local food?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
fe2

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check a few of those clubs out.

I'm open to all kinds of food, good Hawaiian fare, Asian, Italian, anything good basically.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
rr_z33

if your looking for like good food...john dominis(sp?), cattle company

for like a quick lunch something cheap. i would have to suggest peppas korean bbq in makiki. good stuff. ;-)

also deffinetly visit matsumoto shave ice in haleiwa.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
dj.kickz

Originally Posted by rr_z33
if your looking for like good food...john dominis(sp?), cattle company

for like a quick lunch something cheap. i would have to suggest peppas korean bbq in makiki. good stuff. ;-)

also deffinetly visit matsumoto shave ice in haleiwa.
wailana's > matsumotos.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
r26

try china town this friday. it goes off on every first friday of the month.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
808_enthusiastZ

well as for the club: check out fashion45, tsukiji's fish market, monkey bar, dnb's(every wednesday), xyloh (every friday), club pearl (high class i think), lotus, senior frogs, and the mai tai bar.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:46 PM
bboypuertoroc

Make sure you go to Grace's and get a chicken katsu plate lunch. Try and find some Spam katsu as well. The mac salad in this state is different than any mac salad you've ever had (other than the last time you were here).
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
whitecel

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Make sure you go to Grace's and get a chicken katsu plate lunch. Try and find some Spam katsu as well. The mac salad in this state is different than any mac salad you've ever had (other than the last time you were here).
Gracie's breakfast is good too. I usually get the breakfast delux. 2 ***** of rice, 4-5 pieces of bacon, 3 pieces of spam, whole bottom filled with scrambled eggs. Not bad for $6.78 after tax.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
bboypuertoroc

^ Word.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM
bboypuertoroc

Oh, DEFINITELY go to either Islands or Cheeseburger in Paradise. If you go to Islands, get the Kilauea and a basket of fries... HIGHLY rec'd by yours truely.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 PM
BostonZ

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
All you do to duplicate the mac salad is to mix up a large bowl of just mayonaise, then add a small amount of macaroni, then a touch of mustard!

As for clubs, I heard clob pearl was good, mai tai bar in ala moana just for drinks, and, I don't know the rest.

Have fun
Old 12-04-2007, 05:46 AM
KPlus300ZX

Club scene: As stated above, you'll want to avoid the following: Pipeline Cafe and Xyloh. Pipeline is in an alleyway-like back road that's just full of people who will probably pick fights with anyone. Xyloh is also located in an alleyway-like back road, but is more Asian-based...that is, they ONLY want Asians there. I've only seen one white person in there and that was one of my best friends. So in a sense, yes, they're racist.

I'd include Venus on there, but it's not so biased as Xyloh. Same crowd from Xyloh, they just walk there after Xyloh closes down on friday nights. 18+, too. But that doesn't mean the youngest person in there is 18. Trust me, I've seen 15 year olds in there AND Noblesse (before they closed down), which is why I don't hit on girls there. But Venus is a slight step-up. Avoid it at all costs on saturday nights though...unless you're into THAT sort of "thing". (i.e.: male review...)

OLounge is good. I liked it whenever I went there...when it wasn't such a sausage fest. It's right above Venus. Parking's a *****, so you may want to consider a taxi.

Places to hit up are Monkey Bar, the W, and Pearl. All are pretty much premiere hot spots for the slightly older crowd (21+). I wish Oceans was still open. I really liked that place. Monkey Bar is my favorite saturday night spot, and I'm extra happy that they re-opened this past weekend. W - I've never been to yet, but my coworkers have nothing but good things to say about that place. They say "If you love Monkey Bar, you're gonna enjoy the W." And Pearl...well, it's so "high class" that I couldn't get in...even with the "hook-ups".

Mai Tais is a good, local-feel bar. They have live bands and sports on TV (although you can't hear anything due to the music).

As for food...if you want what us locals eat almost everyday, you'd have to hit up "plate lunch" places. Cheap prices for lots of food. Someone roll back footage of Countdown Hawaii that covered the top 10 places to eat! Grace's Inn, L&L Drive-In, Curry House, Mililani Restaurant (if you wanna venture that far out), Matsumoto's and/or Waiola's (shave ice parlors), Mickey's (if you're in Pearl City in the middle of the night LOL!), or the always-satisfying Zippy's. The good thing about Zippy's is that they're ALL OVER the place. Their food is great, too. Biggest downside: TOO EXPENSIVE!!! At least it is for people like me. I remember when a chili chicken mixed place was only $5 something

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited by KPlus300ZX; 12-04-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:25 AM
dj.kickz

pretty much stick to 21 and over clubs. the way clubbing works in hawaii is if you stick to 21 and over clubs all the girls will be atleast 18, where as if you go to a 18+ club you'll see a bunch of 15 year olds. As far as clubbing goes i'd stay away from pearl if ur in the 21-30 year old range. it tends to have a lot of dirty old men. RE: food try to check out alan wongs. It's a little expensive but it's been voted one of hawaiis best restaurants for as long as I can remember. It's one of those places even as a local I try to go atleast once a year.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 AM
fe2

Sweet, definitely appreciate the "local" tips. A whole lotta places to try out! Are the clubs usually "happening" on weekdays? Or is it primarily alive on Fridays and Saturdays?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about italian food, or perhaps steak. I have been to The Chart House and it was not up to standards of the other Chart Houses in the lower 48.

And for italian I have tried the fancy place between Outrigger Reef and Wakiki but is was not very good.

I end up eating at Denny's a lot
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 AM
KPlus300ZX

The only place that's really happening on the weekdays is Dave & Busters on wednesday nights. Now that Christmas vacation is coming up, I'm sure it'll be busy.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
dj.kickz

my favorite itallian resturant is Paesano is manoa market place. Ruth's Chris and Mortons are pretty much the same as in the mainland for steak but a lot of people like Hy's in Waikiki. For fancy restaurants I'm of the opinion that Waikiki really isn't the place to go. Take a cab or rent a car and go to 3660 on the Rise or Alan Wongs or Chef Mavro if you want something really special (and don't mind spending the money) Michelle's is good if you can't get out of Waikiki but it's incredible overpriced in my opinion. Other options are Aarons and Longhi's both near Ala Moana, which shouldn't be hard to get to even if you don't have transportation out of Waikiki.
Another Local spot I don't think I saw mentioned is Rainbow Drive-Inn. It's close to Waikiki and great for breakfast or lunch.
RE: Clubbing durring the week the most happening place is probably Dave and Busters on Wednesday's.

Quick Reply: Hotspots in Honolulu (Nightclubs/Restaurants)?