Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Reporting in from Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:49 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rstark
Frank, where do you guys hang out? Any web site that has the latest for meets? And, more importantly, how do you feel about G35C coming to hang with you?
Rick!

Check your PM. Nice white G35C you got there in the garage. I guess you traded in your S2000?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:13 PM
rstark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Frank, I'm guessing you traded in your CL? That is you right? That didn't dawn on me! No PM's from you. I don't know if it's because of the site that I didn't get the PM, might want to try me on s2ki since I'm still on there.

Yes I traded it in. Couldn't stand the bogging in traffic but do miss that car.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:14 PM
rstark

Nevermind, I just got your PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:19 AM
fdao

Originally posted by rstark
Hey Frank, I'm guessing you traded in your CL? That is you right? That didn't dawn on me! Yes I traded it in. Couldn't stand the bogging in traffic but do miss that car.
Yup, that's me! Couldn't stand the automatic and boat like handling of the CL-S. However, I do miss the amenities that car provided . I know you'll like the G35C with that TQ from 2500 rpm on, unlike the Honda i4
Old 07-31-2003, 01:37 AM
rstark

Originally posted by fdao
Yup, that's me! Couldn't stand the automatic and boat like handling of the CL-S. However, I do miss the amenities that car provided . I know you'll like the G35C with that TQ from 2500 rpm on, unlike the Honda i4
Frank, I thought it was you, but wasn't sure since I haven't seen your car roll past my house. Small world. It seems you and I are the odd couple (pun) as we went from luxury to sports coupe/roadsters and vice versa.

I would've went for the 350Z, but then my space issues that I had over the S2000 weren't going to go away by much. We decided on the G Coupe to have a little more interior space (because you never really know when you'll need the space). You must take me for a ride one day, never got to ride in a Z. Stop by the house one night, say after 9PM so we can catch up and talk about future mods.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:00 PM
fdao

Rick,

Sounds good man! I will try to stop by your house after 9 PM sometime soon. Gotta get the wife's permission to go out since we now have a new addition to the family .

Looking back I would have gotten the G35C as well, but when I got the Z, the wife was not expecting! We only found out 1 month later!!! But, I wouldn't change it for the world .

Anyways, will definitely stop by soon. Yup, funny how we both went the opposite ways.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:55 PM
rstark

Wow! Congratulations Frank. You sure are lucky to be able to keep a two seater after that addition. I like the G in case we have an addition down the road or not.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:04 PM
fdao

Thanks Rick. I had to do a lot of *** Kissing and had to get a Mini-Ute (CRV) for her .

You're a wise man to have gotten the Coupe
Old 08-01-2003, 07:32 PM
rouxeny

Hey Frank, I might need some advice on places to live in Honolulu.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 PM
fdao

Originally posted by rouxeny
Hey Frank, I might need some advice on places to live in Honolulu.
Andrew,

Cool! Anytime you're ready, let me know. You're coming here for the fellowship?
Old 08-06-2003, 01:12 PM
rouxeny

Yup, I'm coming! I'm pretty excited.

Any advice on where to live (rent an apartment) would be greatly appreciated. My only desires would be that it's close to the beach and has some form of secure parking.

How does one go about transporting a Z from CT to HI? I plan on driving it home one vacation week, so that at least it'll be in Los Angeles. How much does it cost to ship a car from LA to Honolulu? I shipped a car from LA to NY once and when I got it, it was pretty scratched up. Hmm....
Old 08-06-2003, 01:59 PM
jetjammer

Congratulations!

Try Matson (808) 848-1215 or
Horizon Lines (808) 842-1515

Time usually 3-5 weeks. Cost is $908.00. Horizon offers sealed container. I don't know if Matson does, but they are the main shipping line in Hawaii.

As far as where to live, whats your budget? How long of a comute can you handle? What hours will you work? Do you prefer city life, laid back or more country?
Old 08-06-2003, 02:51 PM
fdao

Originally posted by jetjammer
Congratulations!

Try Matson (808) 848-1215 or
Horizon Lines (808) 842-1515

Time usually 3-5 weeks. Cost is $908.00. Horizon offers sealed container. I don't know if Matson does, but they are the main shipping line in Hawaii.

As far as where to live, whats your budget? How long of a comute can you handle? What hours will you work? Do you prefer city life, laid back or more country?
What jetjammer (Thom) just said . Thanks man.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:27 PM
jetjammer

Sorry Frank & Andrew. I didn't follow the whole conversation and only read the previous post to mine. I didn't mean to butt in the middle of a conversation.

Good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:53 PM
fdao

Originally posted by jetjammer
Sorry Frank & Andrew. I didn't follow the whole conversation and only read the previous post to mine. I didn't mean to butt in the middle of a conversation.

Good luck! Let me know if there is anything I can help with.
Thom,

No need to apoligize. We're all fellow Z enthusiasts. Gotta help each other out when and if we can .
Old 08-11-2003, 01:44 PM
rouxeny

Hey, thanks for the help. I'll look up those shipping companies. $900 is much less than I would have thought.

Frank, I'm living off a resident's budget, I'm not sure how much they pay, but I'd figure around 40K. I figure my hours will be about 6AM to maybe 4-6PM with call q3. I'd be willing to do a 20 minute or so commute, though I'd love for it to be less. I know the current fellow lives in Waikiki and loves it. I'm probably more of a city life kind of person, at least for the first year.

Thanks! You guys rock!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:45 PM
rouxeny

Actually, I just checked, I'll be making about $49K. That's not too bad!
Old 08-11-2003, 09:06 PM
fdao

Originally posted by rouxeny
Actually, I just checked, I'll be making about $49K. That's not too bad!
LOL! Not bad until you see how much you have to pay for food, housing, and gas! But liveable.

Ok, Waikiki is not a bad place to live if you like the night life and it's very near to the beach . In terms of secured parking, I would take a look at the Waikiki Landmark. If there are any rentals, you should check it out. It may be out of your price range, but you never know . There's also the Iolani Court condominium on Kapiolani BLVD. Parking is also secured.

Also, since you're a faculty member upon starting at UH, there is faculty housing in Manoa. A very nice suburbs, approximately 10 minutes from Queen's Medical Center. Pricing is reasonable too. You're about 10-15 minutes away from the beach as well .

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:15 AM
jetjammer

Howzit

I live on the Windward side, definately more laid back. Two places a little more price friendly might be the Marco Polo condos, just east & behind Waikiki. Or, help me out here Frank if you know the name, the towers behind restraunt row. Both these places have nice parking spaces and are 5-10 minutes from Waikiki, Queens or downtown. Manoa is pretty nice, especially in the valley(again probably more laid back in the valley). When are you coming?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:09 PM
rouxeny

Uh, I'm currently in Connecticut, but I grew up in LA. You could say that I'm looking for laid back. I think I'd rather be in the city primarily because I think it'd be easier to meet people and have things to do. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Reporting in from Honolulu