Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Los Angeles to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 08:37 PM
definitionxmk

Default Los Angeles to Hawaii

Well the time has finally came and I will finally be moving to Hawaii. I'll be stationed in Pearl Harbor Starting 18 December and I PCS from Korea in about 3 weeks... My situation is: I have my Z in Los Angeles. I want to enjoy some time with it before I ship it to Hawaii (Maintenance+New parts install)... So I'll be taking 30 days of leave starting on the 17th of November. Who should I use to ship my car with? And how long will it take to get there (approx.)? I want to purchase a few more parts and install everything before I ship her but I also want to be able to drive the Z when I get to Hawaii... any suggestions?

My original plan:

1. Find shipping company
2. Buy all parts and install
3. Enjoy one week with the car
4. Ship car on 23-24 Nov
5. Fly out of LA to Hawaii 17 December
6. Hopefully car is there??

Does that sound feasible?

Thanks for any help and I can't wait to see Hawaii!
Old 10-20-2009 | 11:19 PM
808_350z

Use Horizon Lines to ship your car. They are the only carrier that will place your car in a container when being shipped. If you use Matson, it will go on a rack out in the open leaving possibilities for damage. The price is the same for both Matson and Horizon ($1074). When shipping from LA, it will only take about a little over a weeks time to get here. Your drop off time is usually 2 days prior to the ship sailing, the ocean time is 4 days and the unloading time is between 3-5 days depending on how full the vessel is. There are two weekly ships sailing out of LA to Hawaii, the first leaves on Wed and the second leaves on Sat.
Old 10-21-2009 | 12:14 AM
definitionxmk

^Holy moley that was the perfect answer! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2009 | 12:29 AM
_STEVEO_01

^^^ Brandon, your right on brother. Great advice and details, I was going to mention Horizon Lines, another one you might want to consider is Pasha. These are the only two that ship in a closed container. You live in Los Angeles, so if you ship via Horizon, your Z will ship out of Long Beach. I recently flew out to California a few months ago to buy me a 530i and shipped it out here with Horizon for about $1300. It ran me a few hundred more cause they personally picked it up from the dealership and trucked it to the pier. I have absolutely no complaints with them, and the communication was great. I am actually paying out of pocket here on Friday to ship my Z back out to Cali as I am PCS'ing as well. Shipping it out with Matson in an open vessel exposed to the elements for 2 weeks is out of the question.

Your next big obstacle now is how to obtain recon/safety depending on how highly modified your Z is. They don't bother with emissions testing here like they do in Cali. Good luck on the move out here, and be sure to visit the other islands when you get a chance.
Old 10-21-2009 | 11:44 PM
nismoflip6

I work JPPSO Pearl Harbor and might bump into you one day when you arrange for your inbound shipment of your household goods and unaccompanied baggage to Hawaii...
Old 10-24-2009 | 09:38 AM
definitionxmk

Awesome stuff guys! I'll def check out the shipping companies mentioned above... i've done some research into recon/safety but i'm not too worried as i only have simple mods, i.e. popcharger, nismo exhaust, kinitex hfc, simple aeros. The only thing I have to change back to stock would be my seats (bride on bride rails) and maybe raise up my coilovers (stance gr+)... will they trip on coilovers?

but yeah, thanks guys... i'll see you all in Dec! Oh and i have no plans for xmas... kinda sucks that i'll spend it alone. anyone got plans or food i can dig in on? cheers!
Old 10-24-2009 | 09:48 AM
GZire

If he retains his plates does he even need to go recon?
Old 10-24-2009 | 03:25 PM
_STEVEO_01

Originally Posted by GZire
If he retains his plates does he even need to go recon?
He still would need to get a recon even though he retained his Cali plates Bro... I had Texas plates on the original car I brought over and had to play ***** foot with the recon guys cause of a ticket I got down in Waikiki... I say cut the recon if you can get away with it, or just run up to date tags if you register the car in Hawaii, after I got everything changed over and put Hawaii plates on with all tags minus the recon, I had no problems from that point on.

EDIT: Reason probobly being... I stayed away from Waikiki...

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 10-24-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2009 | 03:14 AM
wzlc

thanks for the informations bro..
Old 11-02-2009 | 06:25 PM
GZire

Interesting info Steve_01.
Old 12-15-2009 | 05:27 PM
definitionxmk

Thanks for the info again everyone!

Now I'm actually finally moving there tomorrow! Scared out of my mind. My Z will not be there until the 4th of Jan so I'm either going to rent-a-car or a get a cheap one somewhere (<$1000, if possible)... i'm thinking about buying a house but the loan will take approx 2-3 months to clear through VA. My question now is, anyone know of a place/apt/room I can rent with a month-to-month lease that I can pick up before the end of next week? I don't want to be stuck in a 6-12 month lease when the loan clears. I'll also be working in Hickam so anything close will be awesome... I know this might be out of place but it was worth a shot. I won't know anyone there nor will I be too familiar with the area... hoping the forums will be my savior =)

p.s. - anyone wanna invite me for christmas =)
Old 12-15-2009 | 07:39 PM
Candy_G

i am from seoul too... but its been amost 15 years lol... my mom/dad are in LA...