Notices
Pacific Alaska, Hawaii

Brining my car to the Island.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brining my car to the Island.

I was thinking of shipping my car to the Island in a container. I wonder who you would talk to about that and what the cost would be to just containerize my car here in florida and have it shipped in that container all the way from here to there.

Oh, I won Best in Show today at Battle of the Imports, Orlando.

I really would love to have my car in the 4th of July show.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
350ZNISMO673

I would say contact Matson. But have you looked into this at all:

http://www.pods.com/Moving/Moving-Ca...-Vehicles.aspx

Says they offer enclosed shipping. Might be a place to start.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:58 PM
nosurf2day

Contacted matson, they are sending me a quote, port to port private container is around 5K, I asked for a port to door cost. I will post up the cost when it comes so people can learn what I have. I appreciate the idea.

Pods say they are incapable of handling autos inside their containers.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
GZire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horizon and Pasha.
http://www.horizonlines.com/Ocean-Services/Hawaii.aspx

https://www.pashahawaii.com/POVBooki...CarHawaii.aspx

They probably have freight forwarders/consolidators that they work with that can help you arrange for freight from Florida to the west coast, but I'm thinking it might be some big $$$ to containerize in Florida and truck/rail the container to the west coast.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
350Eazy

No shipping company would ship my car in a container since it was lower than 6 inches. You might want to ask them about that. I had to go with Pasha, and they damaged my car.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
nosurf2day

they wouldnt let you put boards up there to drive it in? I told the guy that my car was really low and that is why i couldnt drive it on their ship. He understood, got an attitude when I told him that every person that I have talked to said that their cars have been damaged.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you shouldn't waste your time and money. even if it is a permanent move.
just buy a car on the island imo... glgl
Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
nosurf2day

here is a link to my build, you will see why that isnt even a plausible idea.....

i am guessing glgl means giggle giggle?

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...y-install.html

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM
nosurf2day

got a quote for $7500 to have it shipped door to door orlando to ewa beach in a 20ft container. ouch!!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM
GZire

^^^Yeah. I'm going to guess it's going to be cheaper to throw it on a truck or rail to the west coast before it's containerized. Other option is to make it a road trip and drive your car to the coast.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
350ZNISMO673

I shipped my Nismo Z on my own dime via Matson. Z came out pretty much unscathed except for the scrape on the underside of the front lip. Didn't care too much since I know it will get scraped being daily driven.

I have a friend whose parents own a freight forwarding company and they told me in their personal opinion that Matson was the way to go. Larger company who's been around a long time. Just my two cents.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:46 AM
lgear080

ns2d... my point was that the pricing is way too high to justify. if you had a $250k +
car then the cost makes sense (in terms of % of value). if you leave your car here
(or sell) and buy another you create a better economy for yourself.

i know you've really tried to make your dreamcar, but dropping $7k or even $5k is
just plain imprudent. Secondarily you are risking the car too. I have never shared
my personal waterfreight shipping exploits, but none involving cars has gone smoothly.

you've done so much quality bodywork to the car I'd hate to see it slide in the container
(which it can do even e-braked with stoppers).

heed steve's warning especially - he just went through a real nightmare scenario.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 AM
lgear080

btw - glgl means good luck good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
_STEVEO_01

Originally Posted by lgear080
ns2d... my point was that the pricing is way too high to justify. if you had a $250k +
car then the cost makes sense (in terms of % of value). if you leave your car here
(or sell) and buy another you create a better economy for yourself.

i know you've really tried to make your dreamcar, but dropping $7k or even $5k is
just plain imprudent. Secondarily you are risking the car too. I have never shared
my personal waterfreight shipping exploits, but none involving cars has gone smoothly.

you've done so much quality bodywork to the car I'd hate to see it slide in the container
(which it can do even e-braked with stoppers).

heed steve's warning especially - he just went through a real nightmare scenario.
I sure did, and wouldn't wish it upon anybody... Lots of learning lessons to pass on to inquiring minds. Hit me up Joe, the beauty is leaving paradise and we need to come up with contingency plans.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM
GZire

$7,500 is in a container from FL to HI. It can be done for cheaper............safely is a different story.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by GZire
$7,500 is in a container from FL to HI. It can be done for cheaper............safely is a different story.
Yeah, it can but in a container I know for sure that NO ONE other than me can touch the car, after I lock the container up, the next time its opened will be by me. As long as they don't overturn the container or put it at some crazy angle the car will be safe. I am going to drill eye bolts into the floor to fasten the car down if there isn't a way for me to fasten it down otherwise.

$7500 however is too pricey for me to send it to hawaii for only being there 3 years. That will have to be on a permanent move.

Off question, if you have a car in HI that is merely a trailer car, do you have to have it registered in the state. I don't plan on driving the car because, it will never pass inspection due to putting on my HKS F-CON. My dash looks like a Christmas tree,I am guessing, the standalone isnt passing info to the dash for the sensors to not trip the lights.

When I had my other car other car inspected 2 weeks ago he said that if any panel lights are displayed they cannot inspect the car. Almost every light is displayed on the Z. This poses a HUGE problem.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 AM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by nosurf2day
Yeah, it can but in a container I know for sure that NO ONE other than me can touch the car, after I lock the container up, the next time its opened will be by me. As long as they don't overturn the container or put it at some crazy angle the car will be safe. I am going to drill eye bolts into the floor to fasten the car down if there isn't a way for me to fasten it down otherwise.

$7500 however is too pricey for me to send it to hawaii for only being there 3 years. That will have to be on a permanent move.

Off question, if you have a car in HI that is merely a trailer car, do you have to have it registered in the state. I don't plan on driving the car because, it will never pass inspection due to putting on my HKS F-CON. My dash looks like a Christmas tree,I am guessing, the standalone isnt passing info to the dash for the sensors to not trip the lights.

When I had my other car other car inspected 2 weeks ago he said that if any panel lights are displayed they cannot inspect the car. Almost every light is displayed on the Z. This poses a HUGE problem.
Haven't been on the forums for while, just got back from the mainland. Congratz on the baby! and your Z is sick bro! okay, alot of us got Xmas tree lights and 4th of July fireworks on the dash, I've still gotten my inspection every year even with Z slammed (on coils, not bags). My Z will be gone prior to the next inspection. You just have to know where to go, I'm sure once you get in the mix with the local guys and shops, you'll know some people who will hook you up. Everything steve told you is correct about shipping....I still have to ship mine next month, I'm scared as hell! I'm thinking of taking my front and rear diffuser off and shipping it in Household goods. Once the car gets to Cali driving it from the port to Texas....but then I dont want to put the miles on it. But if I truck/transport it on a flat bed...that means someone would have to put/drive it on the truck (more damage). I feel your dilema and pain! I need another conference with Steve! let you know what i come up with. On second thought, maybe, I'll rent truck and flatbed, drive it myself to Texas..case solved (thanks steve).

As for you, I'd say raise the car as much as possible keep it that way. Put it on a truck or drive it to LA...strike that! put it on a truck with a flat bed and have it driven or you rent/drive the truck with flat bed to LA port, then containerized from there. Hit Tech one (ryan), once it gets here to do your body work/bags and uhhh....maybe, just maybe an Inspection may appear on your Z....but I aint saying nothing.

Steve holla at me, I'm back!

Last edited by SILKZ03; 04-26-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

If you're not going to drive it while its over there, why not just leave it in storage over here for 3 years. It'd be far cheaper and you could use it whenever you come home.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 PM
GZire

...............Off question, if you have a car in HI that is merely a trailer car, do you have to have it registered in the state. I don't plan on driving the car because, it will never pass inspection due to putting on my HKS F-CON. My dash looks like a Christmas tree,I am guessing, the standalone isnt passing info to the dash for the sensors to not trip the lights.

To the best of my knowledge, no you will not have to register the car if it's a track only or show only car. Issues might pop up if you park it outside your house on the public street though.

With regards to the $7,500........say it costs you $2,000 or so to ship in a container from west coast. Even if your car gets beat on you can (A) file a claim against the shipper and (B) have approximately $5,500 as an allowance to make repairs should the shipper not pay your claim...........or (C) use the $5,500 to store the car.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
nosurf2day

Actually it would cost me $1800 to ship it enclosed flat bet car carrier to san diego, then $1100 to put it on a boat from cali to hawaii. Then you are correct any damage would be covered by the company, but since I have the Do_Luck its not as if I can just order a new replacement piece, you know what I mean.

Steve_O, that is a great idea and what you suggested is actually what I have really been leaning more towards.

I look at it this way, 3 years of life added onto the car but that's 3 years of miles not driven and 3 years that the current miles are stretched over. That will put me well under 10K miles a year average.

I did my research, but I really didn't find anything on long term storage for what I was thinking. I was thinking throw the car on jack stands and to protect the motor, fill the entire engine block with oil to the brim. When I get back, drain the oil this way none of the internal components are exposed to oxygen and rust. After I do that, Throw a car cover on it to keep the dust off and put a box of damp rid inside. I would have my wifes family every so often swap out the damp rid to keep the moisture minimal inside of the car.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Brining my car to the Island.