Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Best Digtal Cam under $400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canon S60 will beat it. And it costs $250.

Check it http://trusevich.com/portfolio/03_07.jpg

Usually SLR-styled cameras has little better zoom and optics, but you won't see the difference in pictures... And than they come with huge dimensions and misterious shape and increased powerconsumption... you can't put it in the pocket anymore. IMO, they are for the people who are somewhat want to look like real photographers but too cheap to buy real SLR. IMO, get yourself either small but good p&s or go all the way to SLR. There are no real reason to burden yourself with this toy looking things.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Si_2_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any canon sd
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
C5TT

konica minolta dimage 8.1 megapixel, steel body, lcd screen protector, very nice camera, 1gb memory needed, and i paid 378 for it!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's not worthwhile to get 8 megapixels unless you plan on printing blown-up pics like bigger than 8x10.

More megapixels means you just waste more money on memory as well (if you choose to snap pix with max resolution).

If you just want nice 4x6 prints then 2 or 3 megapixels is still fine -- but get a good lens, it will make a bigger difference than getting 8MP with a crap camera.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Sanderman

Originally Posted by cyberz350
You know, what's weird, the lady at Circuit City suggested that I get the Panasonic as well. But I dunno, the Cannon seems to be put together a little bit better. What is it about it the Panasonic that you think is better?

It focuses more quickly and relaibly. It's quite a bit better at the macro end of the range. The Canon suffers from a lot more noise in the image in low light conditions and at higher shutter speeds.

The Panny has a better lens and it's CCD is less noisy so its pictures are simply a bit cleaner. Don't get sucked in by the brand hype. The traditional SLR makers are all learning how to build digital cameras and they aren't any better. The Panny is pretty much its class leader when it comes to what counts - the quality of the images the camera will capture under a wide variety of conditions. It may not look as cool - instead the money went into the Leica lens and what's inside instead of exterior styling.

joe
Old 11-04-2005, 06:06 AM
Juno

Anybody know anything about the Nikon Coolpix S4? I've been leaning towards the Nikon Coolpix 7900 for a small, everyday camera, but I then I saw the S4 online. Haven't been able to find one in stores to look at though.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Sanderman

Originally Posted by Juno
Anybody know anything about the Nikon Coolpix S4? I've been leaning towards the Nikon Coolpix 7900 for a small, everyday camera, but I then I saw the S4 online. Haven't been able to find one in stores to look at though.

Initial reports are quite mixed - some love and some hate it: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...key=nikon_cps4

I've played with it twice now in stores and I have to say I lean towards the latter camp. I like the concept of the swiveling form factor as it gives you so much more flexibility in framing a shot from any position (one of my old cameras was a Sony DSC505 which did the same sort of thing) but this little camera suffers from it's shape in my hands. There's just no comfortable way for me to hold and use it and the little thumb stick is a mess. My hands aren't that big either, but I felt like I was going to break it or activate something I shouldn't. The lack of image stabilization for still mode is ridiculous with a 10X zoom and makes the long end of the range basically useless (who is really going to use a tripod with a camera like this? It basically kills the whole point and shoot concept).

I wanted to like this camera due to it's small size, form factor, Nikon brand and price. I thought it might make a great pocket camera, but I just couldn't come to grips with it.

joe
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Juno

Originally Posted by Sanderman
Initial reports are quite mixed - some love and some hate it: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...key=nikon_cps4

I've played with it twice now in stores and I have to say I lean towards the latter camp. I like the concept of the swiveling form factor as it gives you so much more flexibility in framing a shot from any position (one of my old cameras was a Sony DSC505 which did the same sort of thing) but this little camera suffers from it's shape in my hands. There's just no comfortable way for me to hold and use it and the little thumb stick is a mess. My hands aren't that big either, but I felt like I was going to break it or activate something I shouldn't. The lack of image stabilization for still mode is ridiculous with a 10X zoom and makes the long end of the range basically useless (who is really going to use a tripod with a camera like this? It basically kills the whole point and shoot concept).

I wanted to like this camera due to it's small size, form factor, Nikon brand and price. I thought it might make a great pocket camera, but I just couldn't come to grips with it.

joe
Thanks for the input! Like I said, I can't find one in a store here to play with yet. I was kinda worried about the shape too, but I was tempted by the 10x optical zoom. Sounds like I should stick with getting the 7900. I'm looking for something small that will take good pictures for times when I can't lug the Rebel around.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 PM
sal501

SD550 is the best by Canon. Goto www.techbargains.com and look under Dell coupons for this camera. You should be able to get it for under 400. This has much sharper picture than any 7xxx Nikon Series. Also you can check out pics at www.dcresource.com and compare the pics taken by SD 55o to ones by Nikon Coolpiz 7xxx. At night time 7xxx shows blurry resolution.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Juno

Just realized it's not the Coolpix 7900 I'm interested in, it's the Coolpix L1. Any input?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
reyes5912

I have a New Sony Cyber-Shot T7 (5.1 MEGAPIXELS) Digital Camera FS. Look in the Private Classifieds under Sony Sale!