Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Another try at HDR.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Infinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by illjim69
that isn't true. what kind of camera are you using? i never had an issue with color that "pops" so long as i use the right angle, light, lens, etc. problem i found is that in this digital age, most people want to be able to point, shoot and let the software sort it all out for them. nobody wants to take the time to read a little bit and perfect their craft/hobby. heck, with digital cameras, you would think more people would be out practicing like never before since you can just delete what you don't like and you don't have to keep buying film and other supplies.

i think HDR is cool when done properly, but it seems that people often do it using some crappy software and the pictures turn out looking like a video game. the good HDR pics i have seen look real as can be, nothing looks fake. most of the ones people post seem like they are trying to make the pictures look abnormal or surreal.

*shrugs*

i don't know, i guess i am a bit of a purist in a sense. and the first person to bring up "well it's no different than what Ansel Adams did" will be directed to the nearest cliff, lol.

jim
No digital camera has the dynamic range of a film camera because digital cameras dont have the highlight reproduction ability that a film camera does, it doesn't matter if you using a 40K hasselblad digital and a $4 dollar walmart film camera, in the end digital cant match what film can in terms of dynamic range, digital just clips to suddenly. Shadows aren't as much of a problem. But compare any film and digital shot side by side and the film clearly has the advantage. Yes color can be bumped up and saturation can be added, but in the end I still prefer the colors produced by film.

Now granted I use digital, it is much easier to use, and taking care and doing things right is one thing I do agree with you on. I see your point and I'm not a big fan of the surreal HDR either, but then again each person is entitled to produce their own art based on their liking and theres not much we can do about it.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why doesn't somone take Taurrans pic and show him a few other options on how it can look? It's easy to point out problems with photos, but I would be interesting in seeing some different versions. I am 95% clueless with post prosessing...so I'd like to learn some of this.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Infinus

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Why doesn't somone take Taurrans pic and show him a few other options on how it can look? It's easy to point out problems with photos, but I would be interesting in seeing some different versions. I am 95% clueless with post prosessing...so I'd like to learn some of this.
Thats not a bad idea at all.

Taurran, would you mind posting the originals? (you can resize them if you wish) People can all give it a try and see how they do. Should be interesting.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinus
No digital camera has the dynamic range of a film camera because digital cameras dont have the highlight reproduction ability that a film camera does, it doesn't matter if you using a 40K hasselblad digital and a $4 dollar walmart film camera, in the end digital cant match what film can in terms of dynamic range, digital just clips to suddenly. Shadows aren't as much of a problem. But compare any film and digital shot side by side and the film clearly has the advantage. Yes color can be bumped up and saturation can be added, but in the end I still prefer the colors produced by film.

Now granted I use digital, it is much easier to use, and taking care and doing things right is one thing I do agree with you on. I see your point and I'm not a big fan of the surreal HDR either, but then again each person is entitled to produce their own art based on their liking and theres not much we can do about it.
i understand what you're saying. i am a film fan myself, i grew up with it and learned to shoot with my dad's Canon F1.

but......

if you practice enough with digital, there really is no need for as much Photoshop and other post processing. to me, when someone takes a picture and runs it through software to do anything other than resize, it shows me one (or two) of two things.......they suck at actually taking pictures OR they are just messing around for fun.

sadly a lot of people today think HDR and other forms of PP make them some sort of pseudo artist. i am no pro with pics, but i think my pictures turn out good and i don't need "unsharp mask", "HDR" or whatever to make up for my lack of eyesight.

jim
Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 PM
_NIZMO_

Originally Posted by Infinus
Thats not a bad idea at all.

Taurran, would you mind posting the originals? (you can resize them if you wish) People can all give it a try and see how they do. Should be interesting.
I'd like to try it out if he sends me the raw file.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Infinus

Originally Posted by _NIZMO_
If he can email me the RAW file I can host it for everyone who wants to try.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I know what you are capable of. You worked some magic on one of mine.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
KYEXTAZ

To back Taurran up, HDR is whatever you want to make it! It is in the eye of what the person wants. Extreme to subtle.

original file posted:

and here is my attempt at a more subtle picture of his ride used with only the smaller image he posted :

and more extreme:

and more extreme:

Last edited by KYEXTAZ; 02-09-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 PM
KYEXTAZ

the picture i created before uploading to photobucket had more color and more detail than this image that i posted ^ ...that sucks..however, even with only a subtle touch up, you can see more detail(car, concrete, clouds) and a little more color with an HDR image
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
KYEXTAZ

Last edited by KYEXTAZ; 02-10-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM
masterj26

That second picture is nice Craig.

To others in here, take a look at some of Craig's pictures he has taken in the past. Craig is not a noob by any means IMO. Some of my favorite pictures of my car were taken by him
Old 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM
taurran

I find the ignorant "crticism" in this thread mildly insulting to say the least. I've used Photoshop for 14+ years and know it like the back of my hand, and am quite capable of post-processing a photo in any manner I so choose. I''m not going to post up my original raw files to let you butcher them. If I wanted to create a "subtle" HDR image, I am more than capable of doing so myself.

My intent wasn't to create something "subtle" by any means. I wanted to create an image that had a "hand drawn" or "CG" effect to it. "Subtle" HDR is only so impressive to me, and, interestingly enough, people have criticized my previous HDR attempts because they weren't "HDR enough". People will criticize whichever way you go with it. Go figure.

Now, to those elitist or purist "photography snobs" who insist that digital post processing is some sort of blasphemy or photgraphic abomination... your criticism is laughable at best. Your argument is like a classical guitarist saying that electronic or synthesized rock music isn't a valid form of music. It's not about skill, or compensating for it. It's about using technology to more effectively produce what the photographer or graphic artist sees in their minds eye.

In fact, being able to take a great photo and then having the knowledge and know-how to perfect it by digital means requires a large amount of skill in itself. Just because you may not posses that knowledge does not mean you have the right to discount its validity.

Anyway, for those who can look at my original pic and take it for what it's worth, a surrealistic image of my car, thanks.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by illjim69
that isn't true. what kind of camera are you using? i never had an issue with color that "pops" so long as i use the right angle, light, lens, etc. problem i found is that in this digital age, most people want to be able to point, shoot and let the software sort it all out for them. nobody wants to take the time to read a little bit and perfect their craft/hobby. heck, with digital cameras, you would think more people would be out practicing like never before since you can just delete what you don't like and you don't have to keep buying film and other supplies.

i think HDR is cool when done properly, but it seems that people often do it using some crappy software and the pictures turn out looking like a video game. the good HDR pics i have seen look real as can be, nothing looks fake. most of the ones people post seem like they are trying to make the pictures look abnormal or surreal.

*shrugs*

i don't know, i guess i am a bit of a purist in a sense. and the first person to bring up "well it's no different than what Ansel Adams did" will be directed to the nearest cliff, lol.

jim
As stated previously - There is no "right" and "wrong" in art. People like you are like some sort of photography ****... If its not your style, then leave it at that.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 PM
_NIZMO_

" I'm associated with dance music, with electronica, which makes me feel ill. I only learnt all the boring computer crap as a means to an end. Virtually all musicians these days use computers, but if you write a book on a computer, nobody calls it electronic writing; the format you use doesn't necessarily affect the outcome." -Rob Dougan
Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
350zDex

Very Nice!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
FORZWIN

Taurran, I like your picture for what it is, a surreal look at a given point in time...the post processing almost makes it look hand drawn, like anime or something of the like. The skyline came out amazing!!!

On the other side of the spectrum, the photos of the jeep are equally as impresive in a "not-so-surreal" fashion. The jeep just looks like it fully captures the scene and offers a great visual reference to that point in time, almost as if I was there.

Both photosets look great, but in their own way. One could argue that you failed at making your pictures look like the jeep, but that wasn't your intent, likewise the jeep failed to be what you depicted. Great pics from the both of you.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:53 AM
taurran

" I'm associated with dance music, with electronica, which makes me feel ill. I only learnt all the boring computer crap as a means to an end. Virtually all musicians these days use computers, but if you write a book on a computer, nobody calls it electronic writing; the format you use doesn't necessarily affect the outcome." -Rob Dougan

Don't you have a Jeep to photograph somewhere?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:59 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by FORZWIN
Taurran, I like your picture for what it is, a surreal look at a given point in time...the post processing almost makes it look hand drawn, like anime or something of the like. The skyline came out amazing!!!

On the other side of the spectrum, the photos of the jeep are equally as impresive in a "not-so-surreal" fashion. The jeep just looks like it fully captures the scene and offers a great visual reference to that point in time, almost as if I was there.

Both photosets look great, but in their own way. One could argue that you failed at making your pictures look like the jeep, but that wasn't your intent, likewise the jeep failed to be what you depicted. Great pics from the both of you.
Thanks for the compliments.

And you're right except that I'd disagree that the Jeep and other "extreme" HDR's composititions are quality. massive Halos and grayed out areas of underexposed muddiness does not mean good HDR.

See attachment
vvv
Attached Thumbnails Another try at HDR.-crappyhdrjeep.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by SlideFox
So if I wanted to learn how to do this, what would be a good camera, and software to use??
Any digital SLR camera. There are multiple programs used to accomplish this, but you should focus on the use of Photoshop, Photomatix, and Lightroom.

The basic tutorial is found here:
http://stuckincustoms.com/2006/06/06/548/

But keep in mind that people here are too cynical to appreciate anything outside of their own liking or what they deem acceptable. The writer of the tutorial is obviously "wrong" by their standards.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Taurran! To each is there own!! I think your pictures came out good. They actually kind of inspired me to look into this further. Keep up the good work!!

Quick Reply: Another try at HDR.