Notices
Photoshop Make request or post your chops here.

Highschool 350z Turbo Build!(Long Story/Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 PM
Nic Boitnott

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Highschool 350z Turbo Build!(Long Story/Pics)

Disclaimers* - This is my first time posting on here after resorting to this page countless times for answers throughout the build. For someone coming here to "budget" turbo build IT CAN NOT be done if you cant build things yourself(trust me I tried to budget). My dad helped me with the purchase of the car, EVERYTHING else was bought by myself. No comments if you have something negative to say, lots of things were my first ever so it was a learning experience for me throughout. Lets start the story now

So for my 17th birthday(in September) and saving for the whole summer on my summer job as a lifeguard and selling my dirtbike my dad went in half of 10k for a 2003 350z with 58k miles on it. I was so excited to get the car, it had a seibon hood, borla exhaust, hks intake, and tons of stickers on it(quickly removed the stickers.

Through that next year I sold my borla and went to a single exhaust that I welded myself(pretty ugly) I got a set of ambit wheels. They were very ugly and I thing I only got them to get them. After the first year of ownership I had put the ambit wheels on, got a ings front lip, BC coils, and single exhaust. I then ordered a set of Avant Garde wheels shortly after my 18th birthday, I actually saw them on Quinton_c's post and fell in love with them. after the wheels I slowly started piecing together a kit of my own starting with 440 bosch injectors and 255 fuel pump.

Shortly after Christmas I found a killer deal on craigslist with a used boosted performance kit for 2k. The guy had just blew his 4th trans out and was ready to move to a different kit. Well the turbo was actually shot so for 1500 I got the intercooler, bov, wastegate, piping, oil pan spacer, and scavange pump. Towards summer when my job picked back uip and I got some graduation money I pick up an innovate SCG-1 that I put in my door vent, Uprev gt maf, spark plugs. And last but not least the turbo! I went with a precision 6262 with t51r machining by OCDworks. The machining was only 300 more and it makes the turbo sound amazing! It was finally time to throw the kit on!

So in parked the car at the family's lake house garage and started throwing it on. The install went pretty smoothly besides a few AN fittings were missing from the drain and feed lines, I spent almost 200 dollars trying to fine the right ones because I was in such a rush and the hanger was different than what I needed so I changed it later on for my needs.

After all that the spark plugs were last the go in and I was so excited to crank her. Well my rear two cylinders had a good bit of oil in them, with cylinder 6 being the worst. All should know this isn't a cheap fix because Nissan thought it was a good idea to put the spark plug tube seals built into a whole valve cover! So I bit the bullet and got both sides, after they came in I finally cranked the car over and just idling it sounded awesome even though the exhaust wasn't on yet, so then I towed the car to my buddy's shop and had him weld me up a full stainless exhaust with a car muffler and bung for my wideband.

After talking with the tuner to make my dyno appointment he suggested a upgraded clutch and at least 660cc injectors. So not wanting to cheap out in the end I got a z1 lightweight flywheel and 6 puck with 660 bosch injectors. I still have the 440s if someone would want.

Dyno time! I took the roughly 3 hour drive with my dad as he towed the car and my brother who followed in his 300z (yes we love Z's) The dyno session went pretty well with a small wastegate problem, and they suggested a plenum spacer so I ordered it there and threw it on the car about a week later. The car made 368whp and 370wtq at 7psi with no plenum spacer( I have it on now, just didn't redyno it)

So I was super excited and refused to throw it on the trailer, I was going to drive it home. Well thirty minutes into the trip home a huge bang and stuff flying out behind me on the interstate.... nurse the car to the shoulder and I cant move further into the grass. But oil pressure and temp is solid still. After inspecting more the driveshaft split completely in half. I think it was from a small rub from the V-band in my exhaust so two day shipping and I received a aluminum driveshaft from Z1 motorsports, sorted the v-band out.

And the car rips! I love every sound, well besides a small exhaust leak between the header and the exhaust. For all wondering it cost about 7,500 dollars said and done for the turbo build, including clutch and everything. I'm going to attach videos and pictures but still figuring out. If you guys have any feedback let me know! I check the site about every day or every other.

new z1 clutch

this was from Soho motorsports instagram, also follow memon there if youd guys would like! nic_boitnott

This was some damage from a broken driveshaft

Last edited by Nic Boitnott; 08-19-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Nic Boitnott

I'm posting a few youtube links to rolling anti lag, dyno video, drive by and two step at night. And ill add a few more pictures of the valve covers and turbo!

- Rolling Anti lag

- Dyno Video

- Two Step

- drive by

Tube with the biggest trouble

Drivers side

Passenger side
Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I stopped reading after the first one.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Nic Boitnott

Originally Posted by BakaN20

I stopped reading after the first one.
My bad man. Post has been updated with paragraphs if anyone would like to give it a read now.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:43 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Dont dugan it
Old 08-19-2017, 12:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Good story now that it's been "paragraphized". Laff....

Good "hands-on experience" versus just talking about builds for hours like so many others I see here and everywhere else.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Nic Boitnott

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good story now that it's been "paragraphized". Laff....

Good "hands-on experience" versus just talking about builds for hours like so many others I see here and everywhere else.
Thanks man! I was tired of reading " what if" threads of kids wanting to things, so I just put everything I had and I learned so much along the way!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

did you determine why you snapped your driveshaft?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Nic Boitnott

Originally Posted by bealljk
did you determine why you snapped your driveshaft?
Um I'm still not exactly sure. I still think it was the v-band on my exhaust but with my new aluminum one it's a half inch thicker and it barely touched at all before I fixed the routing issue.

So my best guess I might have hit a big pot hole in the early test drive from horrible roads causing a imperfection from banging into the v-band, that exploded at highway speeds I think.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nic Boitnott
causing a imperfection
yeah...surprising how susceptible they become once they develop a weak spot. I popped one back in the day and the only thing I could gather is that it was hit with a rock or road debris.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:10 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nic Boitnott
causing a imperfection
yeah...surprising how susceptible they become once they develop a weak spot. I popped one back in the day and the only thing I could gather is that it was hit with a rock or road debris.

great build - keep up the lords work...
Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Good on you Nic! A smart risk taker at a YOUNG age, learning as you go.This world needs more of that...full steam ahead
Old 08-20-2017, 05:53 AM
Nic Boitnott

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Good on you Nic! A smart risk taker at a YOUNG age, learning as you go.This world needs more of that...full steam ahead
Thank you for the kind words! I learned a ton and definitely took some risk lol. But I should be getting a better paying internship semester so I'll have more room for growth!