Notices

SP: Turbo kit update

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said, our turbo kit is not for everyone.

Here is a list of what comes with the kit

2 Custom Sized SP61mm Ball bearing turbo’s (heat coated hi-temp silver exhaust housing)
2 Tubular Turbo manifolds with T3 flanges (heat coated hi-temp silver)
SP Oil Scavenge Pump
SP Baffled Oil scavenge tank (all necessary fittings and bracket)
All High Gloss polished aluminum piping (with clamps and gloss black silicon 4ply couplers)
2 3” K&N Filters
2 Tial 38mm wastegates with atmospheric dump (Recirculated gates is optional at an extra cost)
1 Tial 50mm Blowoff valve
1 SP Front mount intercooler (5Dx12.75Hx27.8L) (Polished endtanks) (Removal of bumper support is neccesary
-6an water lines for the turbos
-4an Stainless braided Teflon oil lines for ball bearing turbos
High Temp flame retardant sleeving for oil and water lines
2 2.5” Downpipes from turbo’s to factory y-pip (optional 3” piping available)
SP Oil pan spacer and fitting
All necessary fittings, clamps, couplers everything you need for a complete turbo kit!

There is so much work that goes into building this kit from the piping, to the manifolds, to the scavenge tank, brackets, oil/water lines, etc.. it's insane.

Seems like the only other kit out there comparable in price is the APS Extreme. However that kit has cast manifolds, smaller intercooler, and smaller turbo's. Granted you get fuel with theirs.

Chris
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 AM
turismo

Originally Posted by Chris@SP
Like I said, our turbo kit is not for everyone.

Here is a list of what comes with the kit

2 Custom Sized SP61mm Ball bearing turbo’s (heat coated hi-temp silver exhaust housing)
2 Tubular Turbo manifolds with T3 flanges (heat coated hi-temp silver)
SP Oil Scavenge Pump
SP Baffled Oil scavenge tank (all necessary fittings and bracket)
All High Gloss polished aluminum piping (with clamps and gloss black silicon 4ply couplers)
2 3” K&N Filters
2 Tial 38mm wastegates with atmospheric dump (Recirculated gates is optional at an extra cost)
1 Tial 50mm Blowoff valve
1 SP Front mount intercooler (5Dx12.75Hx27.8L) (Polished endtanks) (Removal of bumper support is neccesary
-6an water lines for the turbos
-4an Stainless braided Teflon oil lines for ball bearing turbos
High Temp flame retardant sleeving for oil and water lines
2 2.5” Downpipes from turbo’s to factory y-pip (optional 3” piping available)
SP Oil pan spacer and fitting
All necessary fittings, clamps, couplers everything you need for a complete turbo kit!

There is so much work that goes into building this kit from the piping, to the manifolds, to the scavenge tank, brackets, oil/water lines, etc.. it's insane.

Seems like the only other kit out there comparable in price is the APS Extreme. However that kit has cast manifolds, smaller intercooler, and smaller turbo's. Granted you get fuel with theirs.

Chris

What is the turn around time, on one of your kits?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Chris@SP
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by turismo
What is the turn around time, on one of your kits?
If they are not in stock then about 3-4 weeks. If in stock, then about 1-2 ( I don't stock the turbo's since I can get them in a day, then just polish the covers and get the turbine housings coated.)

Chris
Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We certainly know that his kit is not for everyone!! There are plenty of alternatives out there for those that will be happy with 5-600 RWHP. What we have done is taken our 18 years of turbocharging knowledge and designed a kit that will easily support 1000+ RWHP on the 350Z platform. To stay on top in this business for as long as we have been around, you have to constantly try new things and redesign parts to make them better.

For example look at the pic of our new sequential kit for the supra targeted at 1000 RWHP:

Old 09-29-2007, 09:50 AM
tig488

isnt the wastegate supposed to be before the turbo, why is that one after?

looks good, and confusing, all at the same time!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Zilvia

no im pretty sure wastegate go after the turbo..........
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 AM
SpoilsofWar

Although this is not something I'd be personally interested in, more turbo kits are always better. More options for everyone. And with a little luck, maybe it will drive down the price of the milder kits. Nice work.

Also, that supra kit is f'ing crazy. Looks like a pair of mutated octopuses humping.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 PM
turismo

will this kit have an external oil pump, like the SFR kit?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:19 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by tig488
isnt the wastegate supposed to be before the turbo, why is that one after?

looks good, and confusing, all at the same time!

It is a sequential kit..... there is a WG before the turbo. It is a huge 60 mm gate but you really cant see it in the pic. The tial gate that you see is a prespool valve for the sequential operation that bypasses a small amount of air around the exhaust control valve to start the second turbo spooling after the first turbo is fully online.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Zilvia

my mistake i was remembering the peak boost mani for the SR and for some reason thought the wg mount was behind the turbo...its def infront of it... my b
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
It is a sequential kit..... there is a WG before the turbo. It is a huge 60 mm gate but you really cant see it in the pic. The tial gate that you see is a prespool valve for the sequential operation that bypasses a small amount of air around the exhaust control valve to start the second turbo spooling after the first turbo is fully online.

Do you think, it would be possible, to make a sub 10k dollar kit. I dont see many people purchasing a kit this expensive. Wouldnt it be wise, to offer something thats comparable in pricing, to the SFR, Greddy or APS? Im pretty sure, people would hop all on it, if it were a 6-7k kit.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Zilvia

he said the kit isnt for every only those looking to make big power. and 2nd if u read the price is high b/c its made in house an not a true manufactured kit like Greedy and all those.

and how much more sub 10k can u get 9k is below 10k
Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM
SergEK

I think its nice to see one more option for Z owners looking to go past the 6-700whp level and into huge power 1000+whp levels

For 9K its really a great kit considering the fab thats put into it and with 1000+whp potential I think its something that huge power guys will consider for sure --- good job guys
Old 09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Zilvia

next project build a kit for the HR motor or the G37.....lol i kied i kied
Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Shabib67

Is it possible to top mount your kit like audible mayhem is doing? Also are you guys working on an kit to fit the HR motors?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 PM
abyss

Originally Posted by Shabib67
Is it possible to top mount your kit like audible mayhem is doing? Also are you guys working on an kit to fit the HR motors?
The problem with top mount kits isn't the design, it's the lack of room under the hood. The work needed to be done on your end moving things around almost isn't worth it unless it is a track car and your removing everything or a show car and you really want to show them.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:27 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by Shabib67

The main problem with that design is the loss of a/c and or power steering. Great for a show car or drag car but not going to appeal to the mass consumer!!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by turismo
Do you think, it would be possible, to make a sub 10k dollar kit. I dont see many people purchasing a kit this expensive. Wouldnt it be wise, to offer something thats comparable in pricing, to the SFR, Greddy or APS? Im pretty sure, people would hop all on it, if it were a 6-7k kit.

We certainly could make a less expensive kit but we have been down this road with so many other types of cars. There are 4 or 5 less expensive kits out there already.

What we have learned in the last 18 years is that people are never satisfied with their current HP level. We used to think that 700 RWHP was plenty...... now we are weekly building 1000RWHP cars.

The purpose of this kit is to provide you with the highest quality parts from the get-go. We can start you off with a pair of 58mm turbos.... or even smaller. But if you ever wanted to run the 1500 HP pair of 67s that we offer..... the header, FMIC rest of the kit would be adequate. You can always trade in your smaller turbos on a larger pair when the time comes!!

We certainly could make the kit less expensive by packaging the SFR headers with some non ball bearing turbos.... perhaps not polishing/chroming all of the pipes.... etc. If there is a demand for such??
Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Zilvia

the cool thing about the kit for upgrading the turbo's is the location. from looks of it there are right there in the open. so just pop out some bolts and bam swap in the bigger turbos.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:06 PM
abyss

I agree with what your saying on the cheaper kits, it's been said in previous topics that when going big #'s your kit and the APS Xtreme are gonna be the best route to go, and neither kit is for everyone. As far as the lower HP #'s go I honestly don't see a new kit selling well against T-netics and Greddy. Even though this kit is almost $10k I bet there will be some serious buyers popping up soon with as much progress has been made with the Z and G this year and more people putting faith into tuners. Hopefully we start seeing more people put out some good #'s and times other than JT, Bert and Eagle.

Quick Reply: SP: Turbo kit update