Notices

First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
350Zimo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jining
sounds hawt Really curious on the 1/4 mile time improvement
i really doubt that you will have any 1/4 mile improvements, due to simple fact that you have never been there. But hey it's ok, there is always a first time in everything
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM
jining

look you buglarian, going around in circles is better than a straight line
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been working on developing this module for the SRT4 over the past couple days - got it pretty much completely working.

The side effect of this is that the Z module will actually be made better because of this. We are going to take this module to the next level by integrating a few more features then we orginally intended so that this module will work great for everyone!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Weqster

kp; little bit of advice for the two-step set. Instead of revving the car to intended RPM, make the set point double the RPM. So if u want two step at 6000rpm, u only need to rev the car to 3000rpm. Its how honda-data lets you program it.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Weqster

oh, and do u have any vidz of full throttle shifting? Does the module set hte rev-limit lower, or does it just close the throttle for u?
Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
KPierson
Banned

I thought about doing the 1/2 thing and decided against it (that is how our shift light works). Having the RPM automatically doubled would raise the lowest point possible to program the unit. Some people may want it programmed below 2K.

I figure if people don't mind two stepping their car at the programmed RPM then they really shouldn't mind revving it to that point for programming!

At full throttle the module just kills the ignition for the programmed amount of time, the throttle never changes as long as you keep the pedal down.

I spent a few hours today working on this module! I now have a single module that can be programmed for 4,6, or 8 cylinders. I am also going to add the ability to program the WOT voltage to the module and to program the clutch pedal position. Once this is all done we should have one module for virtually every car that has a throttle position sensor, a clutch switch, and a fuel injection system!

The downside is that I had to make some significant hardware changes to accomidate the bigger processor we have chosen to go with. This is going to ultimately delay the availablity of these modules as we will have to have some new circuit boards made. I will hopefully order the boards this week.

The plan this week is to get the firmware finished and tested on my two G35s and on the local SRT4 I've been using for testing and then offer them to the public. I learned a few things on the SRT4 and I want to try to apply them to the VQ35 and see if our motor responds the same way. The SRT4 taught me that overengineering can be just as bad (if not worse) then underengineering! I also hope to post a few new videos this week - of the SRT4 two stepping and maybe some speed shift videos, although those are really hard to make since our local track doesn't allow passengers and I don't have a camera mount (yet).
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kevin,

just rent out the track.....you can usually do what you need to do if you out the track. most drapstrips don't charge too much for track rental.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
mikez97

if it works with the HR i will send payment right now!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Z_Nick_Z

i will be your guinea pig. im local!! haha
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Weqster

Originally Posted by KPierson
At full throttle the module just kills the ignition for the programmed amount of time, the throttle never changes as long as you keep the pedal down.
Sorry i keep on commenting, but the hondata version of the FTS:

* You set the FTS shift point - say 6500rpm
* rev to 7k redline, clutch in and the revlimit changes to 6500rpm. so the motor pops like its on the limiter and the turbo keeps on boost and you get improved response.

i understand why these modules arnt picking up 1/4 times now, its exactly the same as shifting.. disapointing.

On my old honda the FTS would be the difference between boost holding between gears, and not.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Hoooper

the turbo should stay on boost with this. a lot of air is still flowing through the engine because the throttle plate is still open, so you would lose boost like the reverse of gaining it at full throttle, AKA at peak you wont hardly lose any if any at all. its pretty interesting to hear when you engage it, dont hear the engine at 7100 with the throttle open all the way but no combustion very often, i just wish i shifted slower so i could hear it longer. it def makes a difference though, shifting into first with this absolutely explodes the traction on the street, where as it never did more than chirp before, its kinda like a clutch drop into every gear. cant wait to test it this coming wednesday at the track
Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
KPierson
Banned

Yes, as you can see by my posted graph I hold boost during shifting as the motor is still pumping air to keep the turbo spooled. The point of the module is to lower the RPM of the motor to allow an easier shift, while still maintaining boost.

Since your throttle body never closes your blow off valve never releases pressue while shifting!

It would be possible to make it so that it maintains a certain RPM, but you would lose the advantage of the transmission being easier to shift.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

KP I want one of these. Do you still need any testers? I can get Forged to install it for me.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
KPierson
Banned

we will be looking for a few more testers once we finish up the new software and get the new boards made - it will be ~2 weeks or so.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

I went to the track last night and pulled a new "best" 60' of 2.15. Still not very good, but not that bad considering I'm running stock tires.

I'm leaving the line at about 0.5-0.8 psi and I think this is hurting my 60 as it is causing excessive wheel spin on the OEM tires. For the first time ever I could feel the rear end come out a bit in 2nd gear so I can definately say my launches, even though not great, have improved with the 2 step.

I am now looking for some new wheels!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Zippy_z
i will be your guinea pig. im local!! haha
If you are interested in testing shoot me a PM and we'll figure something out.

On a side note, the "new" module is completely done and is working great.

You can now program WOT voltage, clutch status (12v when up or 12v when down), number of cylinders, and whether or not the 2 step slowly climbs to the preset RPM (great for the track) or climbs at full speed (better for the street).

The last two things I have to do is tweak the lead in on the activation of the two step at low RPM (right now it occasionally overshoots because the two step doesn't kick in soon enough when the two step is set to rise at full power) and to test the fuel cut option on my FI G35. I had planned to cut the fuel injectors over the weekend but didn't have time to wire it up.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Hoooper

did you check on the locked software/eeprom issue that you said was a possibility?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

I am excited to try this device out. Keep me in the loop on the testing. I would like to test one when they are ready in a couple weeks.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
KPierson
Banned

Hooper, I checked and was able to fully program a module that was identical to yours. I'm still not sure why you can't reprogram the two step RPM.

The new boards are supposed to ship tomorrow so I should have them on Monday. I will have a replacement board out to you, with the new hardware and firmware by the end of the week and we'll try that out. I'm also hoping to install the new hardware / firmware on my test SRT4 for the final testing this week. This is definately keeping me busy!

Jumpin800 we can set up testing for you as soon as the boards get here and have been tested and verified.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Hoooper

hmmm, weird. well hopefully the new board does it. if not ill just have to figure out what im doing wrong/whats up with my wiring

Quick Reply: First Look - KPtechnologies Speed Shift Module