Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

Vrt.... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:12 AM
dozzer1b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vrt.... :-(

LONG THREAD ALERT!!!!!!

alright fellas, well u guys know that my car has been worked on by VRT since last october when i dropped the Z off. well since then a lot of s.h.i.t. has come out on them about them rippin some people off, and i have just givin an honest oppenion, and personal experiences i have had w that company, well, it seems that my oppenion now will change.....

About 3 months ago, my car started 2 give a little puff of smoke out of the exhaust under wot, and in full boost. It was not a lot, but enough 4 me 2 think it mite develope into a serious problem, so i called Mike at VRT and informed him of the issue, we arranged 4 my car 2 come down 2 vrt and get it checked it out, so i drove it down there, and dropped it off. well a month later, he determined that it was the pssanger side turbo seal going bad, and needed 2 b replaced, well at the time i did not have the money 2 replace the turbo, so knowing the car was not smoking bad at all, nor was i driving it much at the time, i thought i could bring it home, and give it about 3 months 4 me 2 save up, and get it replaced. so i arranged 2 pick it up.

I went down 2 VRT and picked up the car, and find out that the car is SMOKING uncontrolliably, at idle, steady speed, under boost, no boost, cruising. It was like i was James Bond tryin 2 lay a smoke screen down behind me, it was a cloud of smoke behind me. So when i finally got the car home, i figured out that i could not drive it AT ALL....and i had 2 replace the turbo. So i called Mike and let him know that i was going 2 have it shipped down there, and i did.

well my car was down there for a week before i heard anything, and when i got a call, it was 2 tell me that i had 2 come up w the item number for the turbo, so rather than them finding it, like should of happened, i had , which i did, and i was told that i was going 2 get the turbo at cost, which I was told was about 8-900 bucks, which i was happy about that, well a week later, i recieve an e-mail saying that VRT's cost for the turbo was $1120.00, which i was not 2 happy about, but i wanted the car done, so i agreed 2 it, and informed them 2 order the turbo, i was told that greddy had this turbo in stock, and they should recieve it w/in 2 days, the job would take about 2 days, so i should have it back w/in 5 days, (me giving them an extra day), well i didn not recieve an e-mail w/ an invoice attatched 2 it untill a week later, and this invoice showed the price of the turbo at $1600.00, which i flipped at, i was told that i was getting the turbo for $1500.00+tax, i was not happy at all, because i was told now, a week later, that the job has not started, and the price has doubled from original thinking. So i agreed just bc i needed this car done, well i payed this invoice on a thursday, and i was told that Tuesday, my car would be ready.

So Tuesday comes, and i make a call 2 c when i can come pick my car up, and im told that they still have 2 pull the original turo, and put the new one on!!!!! pretty much, nothing has been done, so now im told that it Should b ready thursday. So i call down thursday, and i am informed(and u VRT haters will love this) that Mike the owner, has sold the company, to one of his mechanics, who is also named Mike, so, the new Mike tells me that he has just come across my car, and it has not been started on yet, and he informs me that it should be ready Tuesday. So now im a full week behind schedule. well monday comes up, and i make a call down there 2 c if my car will be ready the next dat, and im told it will not be ready untill thursday!!!! so, at this point im wondering if i even have a car anymore. So thursday comes up, and IM FINALLY told me car is ready. So i schedule for myself 2 go pick it up...this is where i learn another twist in the story, it appears that the original Mike, sold his house 2 the new Mikes Sister, and now he is opperating out of the house, so i pick my car up from the house, at around 9:00PM, i am told that the car is smoking a little bit because of the oil that is left over from the old one passing it on the block.

well i get the car on the road, and its smoking worse than before, for the entire trip home(2 hours).....also on the drive home, here are some issues w the car.....the center console where the flip up rea is, is missing the piece that runs along the bottom, so i cannot close it, also, the boost guage is not functioning properly, well i get the car home, and the next morning i go out 2 inspect it 2 c if anything else is missing or wrong w it.

i notice that the VRT emblem off of the trunk lid of the car has ben removed, and this emblem is not something that could of fallen off, it was removed, well i thought that was strange, i pop the hood, and come 2 realize that the covor that has the chrome Nissan emblem on it is missing, as well as my stock strut bar, so my car is missing 3 parts, and an emblem. well, im PISSED at this point, and i contacted Sam at GT motorsports, and arranged the next day 2 drop the car off at his shop, So, as of right now, my car is at GT Motorsports, getting inspected, they r going 2 check the turbo that was supposed 2 b replaced, to c if it even was, and fix the smoking issue, as well as a couple other things....I shall figure out what the problem is about tuesday, and i will keep everyone informed, but it seems as if VRT is no more, and that Mike has takin what he could, and left everyone high and dry.....so....i shall keep everyone updated....i trust Sam and his crew will figure out whats up, i was very impressed w/ his facility, and its closer than san diego!!!!!!haha
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are in good hands now at GTM...
Old 09-09-2007, 05:01 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

+1
Your in good hands now!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Gman2004

Sorry to hear that. Did you pay with a credit card? If so call them up and dispute the charge.

Sam will fix it for sure.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Sorry to hear that. Did you pay with a credit card? If so call them up and dispute the charge.

Sam will fix it for sure.

+100 i woudl do this immediatly... and i would call the cops on MR A ASAP too, hopefully they can do something.....though i doubt it.....
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sounds like you got raped Cant you just look at the turbo serial # and see if its a different turbo??

Last edited by Jay'Z; 09-09-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:19 AM
usingthejohn

wow...just wow. Complete BS you just went through.

Sam will fix it, though....you're in good hands over there.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 AM
blaukal

sorry to hear it -- good luck with the corrections
Old 09-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Cube

I'm still shocked every time I hear something new like this... it's just mind boggling. What I really want to know is what's going on through their heads when they're doing this... are they THAT desperate that they're stealing a few stock pieces off a 350Z ontop of their usual charge for work and not do it????
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad news Dan and once I read that other thread about VRT the first thing I thought was about your ZR.......
Old 09-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Zridder19

Wow sad to hear that man, you've been thru alot of b.s. Your in good hands now, hope everything goes well.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
fklentz

From my experience with them I'd never take my car back there, everything that they did was SLOPPY. I spent a month going over the car fixing boost leaks, GAS leaks, oil leaks. I had to re-poute hoses for just about everything, including gages. If my car developed a problem related to their install I'd still take it somewhere else and not have to deal with them. When I got my car back the first thing I did was peel the VRT sticker off.

In another thread I made a post in I got slammed by someone who by what he said told me he was working there, he knew too much about my experience there and my car. The dudes telling me how bad I got hosed by VRT BUT he's one of the guys doing the work, freaking idiot.

Last edited by fklentz; 09-09-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 AM
twenzel

wow, that sounds like a nightmare. Reputable shops like Forged and GTM really are worth the money.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 AM
redline350ZZ

Dear god are you sure it's still your car?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
Do you have DNA evidence to back this up? Otherwise Navygolf won't believe you and will say you made it up. He needs to hear VRT's side before he makes up his mind.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

OMG!!!! It's "for" and "to", "too" or "two".

Seriously, I can't even read that.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

maybe the strut bar was an honest mistake (that it wasnt put back on)... the emblem, don;t know about that one...

did you ever ahve any engine diagnostics done to see if the smoking was definitively a turbo? not a piston ring issue, valve stem seal, etc? If the turbo was replaced, and the new seal is good, and it is still smoking about a good 50 miles of driving (all the old oil should be burned out for the most part if just in the downpipe- if in the distal exhaust, it could be smoking for a while), it may not be a turbo issue.
Do you have a true dual exhaust? seperating each bank individually, is there a crossover pipr? did you say it wasONLY smoking out of one side?
worse with WOT, idle, does it lessen as the car is warmer, or get worse?
good luck
TODD

Quick Reply: Vrt.... :-(