Notices
Shop Builds Temp moving posts for some clean up of this section.

phunk's engine bay thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Charles, what ems are you using?
my car has a FCON in it, been in there 6 years.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

didnt you say somewhere you redid the power steering lines. Do you remember the thread pitch? I need to use banjo bolts and get rid of the the hardline for more clearance on top of the rack.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

yes i did but the hardlines on top of the rack are still stock as they are part of the rack assembly.

the hardlines i removed are the ones that went from the rack to the fluid tank and back from the cooler. i still have the stock little hardpipes that are like brake lines on top of the rack.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 AM
jumbosrule

Somehow missed this thread till today. It's rare I read every single post in a multi-page build thread like this, but today this thread was the exception.

First of all, congrats on the build. It's nice to see not only professional work, but also creativity and elegant design solutions. That's hard to find out in the world and IMO the only thing that separates the men from the boys is the ability to do it day in and day out - no compromise, ever. Not when you get tired or are sick of looking at the same crap for hours on end. I mean, I sit in an office all day and pride myself on my work - but I definitely want to throw in the towel and just walk out sometimes. I aspire to your work ethic. Seriously, nice job. Very much looking forward to your thoughts and opinions on the overall performance and feel, as well as what you would tweak if you had it to do again.

I'm currently doing a custom turbo VQ on an Infiniti FX35 and LOVE some of your ideas when it comes to simplifying things and symmetry in the bay. Will try to adapt the concepts to my own build, using the huge amount of space in the FX35's engine bay.

Keep it up!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

We appreciate the kinds words! I enjoyed the car a little bit and now it will enjoy a little bit of sitting in the garage. I figure I will take it out once a week but now its time to focus away from it for a little bit and sort out a short block to changeover... eventually i will need to finish this thread and also show what im changing with the new engine.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

charles, i'm interested. I already have most of my piping welded off. I would like to eliminate the oil cooler/warmer along with the bypass line in the front. I have the rear pathfinder mod so all those extras aren't an important.

It would look much prettier than the welds i have on mine right now. I would need the drivers side pipe to make it complete though. I have some ugly welds over there too for the TB coolant delete.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

So I am preparing to get a new shortblock ready for the car.

I need to buy some good rods, pistons, and another set of HKS headgaskets.

If anyone has any they need to get rid of I would also work out trades for our products and I also have a set of brand new in box BC Stage 2 cams I would trade out for parts I need.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
SH Luciano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the good word charles, you get parts and a block all put together yet to drop in?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 AM
DeatschWerks
Vendor - Former Vendor

Definitely liking the fab work. I like the way you have the IC installed and routed, and the plenum just looks beautiful.

Can't wait to hear about the block, either. Sounds like it is already a lot of fun, wonder what it will be like at full potential?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

I have put about 900 miles on this setup.

I may not be rebuilding the engine now. I have spoken to some machine shops and they all agree that my cold leakdown numbers couldnt possibly be the cause of the bizarre situation where my car is burning oil. I dont remember if i explained in this thread, but it only does it during certain hot-starts. It doesnt do it on cold starts. It doesnt do it if I start it within 30 min of driving. It doesnt do it if I wait an hour after driving. It only burns oil if I start it up 30-60min after driving it... otherwise its clean as a whistle. I am going to be exploring my turbo oil line setup and my PCV configuation.

I am also going to do a hot leakdown test to get the real leakdown numbers and see how much lower they are... you are supposed to test it hot, and if i get all below 10% hot then i am not going to worry about it until something really breaks.

I have to get some updated pics on here, I have done a few small things, and also have lots of old pics and mods that i never got arond to putting up here.

honestly i was just taking some time to drive the car when i felt like it and not think about it too much. i will post as soon as i have some useful updates with what i am doing with the car. believe it or not i am highly considering parting it out because i really want to twin turbo my 370z right now. but i am not sure that i have a cold enough heart to tear apart this 350z that i have been screwing with for so many years now.

i will report back after i figure out a couple things and make a couple decisions for the car. for the last couple months i have just been happy to have it back in one piece and driveable whenever i want to drive it.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phunk
honestly i was just taking some time to drive the car when i felt like it and not think about it too much. i will post as soon as i have some useful updates with what i am doing with the car. believe it or not i am highly considering parting it out because i really want to twin turbo my 370z right now. but i am not sure that i have a cold enough heart to tear apart this 350z that i have been screwing with for so many years now.
Here's my suggestion: keep the Burns headers, put some big turbos on it, strip it totally down, and make a drag car out of it
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did i miss this thread?? charles your car is just kick ***. i demand a ride when all is said and done
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Change of plans. Building my 370z, the 350z is going back stock. Everything is for sale and need stock parts in the deals.

Intake manifold, intercooler, and all pipes compatible with Greddy TT kits I will be trying to sell complete. I want to work engine harness and core support trade in the deal too. Even the modified hood possibly.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

If someone wants to buy the intake etc and doesn't have a TT kit yet for their DE... They can buy the HR tuner kit and I'll trade DE downpipes for the HR ones and trade me the HR intercooler and pipes etc for mine in the deal.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
GreenGoblin

Damn it man, but totally understandable. Good luck with the sale and future build
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is F'in amazing!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

This car is for sale. Someone should buy it and put in a LS1.

https://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sa...t-for-ls1.html
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
SexyRob

god, build is so sick... is there any more information on this plenum? how does it perform over stock in NA and FI applications, It looks so frickin beautiful, it has to flow like a beast for sure.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyRob
god, build is so sick... is there any more information on this plenum? how does it perform over stock in NA and FI applications, It looks so frickin beautiful, it has to flow like a beast for sure.
As soon as I get my front bumper in I will be finishing my build and will post before and after information.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

this thread has ruined my excitement for my own build.. holy ***** what a cool @ss plenum etc.. fantastic.

Quick Reply: phunk's engine bay thread