Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

wheels tires and suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Daflamez

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default wheels tires and suspension help

Hey guys, im pretty new to the z scene as i just recently bought a 2006 base model 350z. right now my first plans to the car is to lower the suspension on coilovers, change the stock rims to something a bit better and get some tires for them. i plan to use this car as a daily driver and not really for tracking or drifting of any sort as of right now since im a college student. so far ive been really researching hard and what i am looking at right now is 18x9.5/10.5 Aodhan DS01 5x114.3 +22 and raceland ultimos coilover. and yes before you bash the brands of the replica rims and budget coilovers i want to state again that i wont be running the car into anything serious and prolly will drive around 20 miles a day on average if any at all. the real question is that i want to find out will this work with the items i want to purchase. the pictures that i am posting with this thread is basically how low i want the car(black and blue z) and the aodhan rims on the z itself. i also wanted tire recommendations so i can reduce risk of damaging the rim on potholes. . thanks btw i would really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails wheels tires and suspension help-aodhan-ds01.jpg   wheels tires and suspension help-lower-project.jpg   wheels tires and suspension help-car-photo-2005-nissan-350z-19x9-5-19x10-5-volk-racing-ce28n-wheels-limited-formula-silver.jpg  
Old 11-17-2016, 03:11 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

You couldn't possibly find worse junk to buy, but hey, it's your car.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:44 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Why coilovers?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:52 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,108 Likes on 6,563 Posts

so he can drop to the frame.... duh
Old 11-17-2016, 06:21 AM
Daflamez

like i said lol its just for the meantime so my car isnt so high up.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:23 AM
Daflamez

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Why coilovers?
i chose coilovers because i stll want the freedom to adjust my ride?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:52 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

For street wheels I'd love 19s
Old 11-17-2016, 07:01 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Daflamez
i chose coilovers because i stll want the freedom to adjust my ride?
OK, fair enough. Question is, are you realistically going to do so?

Here's the thing... you're buying budget parts, absolutely no problem with that. However, buying cheap coilovers rather than buying a known, well built static setup for just a little bit more means more in the long run.

Sure, buying a set of Tokico Blues and a spring set of your choice costs more NOW (say $750 or thereabouts and this is about the minimum you should be expected to spend) but it WORKS and I'll bet that there are a lot more people who will back that up than on cheap coilovers. Honestly, price doesn't always tell the whole story but seriously, coilovers worth anything cost plenty more than $500 a set.

OK, admittedly, I know nothing about those coilovers and they could be the best value in the world for all I know. (But I doubt it.)

Lastly, consider this into the budget: if you lower beyond about -25mm, have you budgeted in the necessary hardware (and alignment services) to adjust alignment to realistic specs or will you plan on running with the resultant negative camber, toe out, negative caster issues?

Anyhow, if you go that route, report on them or add to these threads (which I think you ought to read):

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-for-sale.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coilovers.html

Oh, welcome aboard.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Daflamez

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, fair enough. Question is, are you realistically going to do so?

Here's the thing... you're buying budget parts, absolutely no problem with that. However, buying cheap coilovers rather than buying a known, well built static setup for just a little bit more means more in the long run.

Sure, buying a set of Tokico Blues and a spring set of your choice costs more NOW (say $750 or thereabouts and this is about the minimum you should be expected to spend) but it WORKS and I'll bet that there are a lot more people who will back that up than on cheap coilovers. Honestly, price doesn't always tell the whole story but seriously, coilovers worth anything cost plenty more than $500 a set.

OK, admittedly, I know nothing about those coilovers and they could be the best value in the world for all I know. (But I doubt it.)

Lastly, consider this into the budget: if you lower beyond about -25mm, have you budgeted in the necessary hardware (and alignment services) to adjust alignment to realistic specs or will you plan on running with the resultant negative camber, toe out, negative caster issues?

Anyhow, if you go that route, report on them or add to these threads (which I think you ought to read):

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-for-sale.html

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coilovers.html

Oh, welcome aboard.
I completely understand what u are saying and actually have already went through the forums and found that my specs for alignment could go off if i drop it too low. I have also done research on both my rims and coilovers to see reviews. For the rims i have heard that no one has had technical issues with them such as bends cracks and breaks as long as u aren't seriously tracking the car ( which im not). The raceland coilovers ultimos (not regular) have actually gotten good reviews and are a decent in what i call a starter pair of coilovers if ur trying to drive lower and get a slight difference in handling for your daily driver. My question is now will these parts listed get my car in the same fitment as the cars posted above? I will post the specs below:

Spring rates:

2003-2008 Nissan 350z (Z33) Front - 830 lbs/in

Rear-
435 lbs/in
Drop rate:

1-4 inches.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
JpGalaxy123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Hey man, I'm going through the same things, I just bought a 04 enthusiast and I don't even know where to start. Im really looking into a pair of rotiform ccv but i don't even know what size I should get! Went to a local shop and they weren't any help. I'm also looking at getting coils but I'm looking at the stance ss. If anyone could help me with the sizes of my wheels that would probably help me and him. Ps. Yes I'm going for the whole ricer set up, stretched tires and I'm probably Gona max out the camber plates on the coil overs.

Anything helps
Old 11-17-2016, 01:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by JpGalaxy123
Hey man, I'm going through the same things, I just bought a 04 enthusiast and I don't even know where to start. Im really looking into a pair of rotiform ccv but i don't even know what size I should get! Went to a local shop and they weren't any help. I'm also looking at getting coils but I'm looking at the stance ss. If anyone could help me with the sizes of my wheels that would probably help me and him. Ps. Yes I'm going for the whole ricer set up, stretched tires and I'm probably Gona max out the camber plates on the coil overs.

Anything helps
Sorry, can't help you. I'm not the guy to advise on any of that. My only clue about stretch are the pants I wish I had after Thanksgiving dinner.

S'far as Stance coilovers.... I have a set of those on my Shiro that came with the car. I also have an almost complete factory Shiro suspension which I cannot wait to install once I have all the pieces. Those Stance c/os, while they seem to be OK products, make the car feel like this....

Actually probably worse.... at least the cart's got leaf springs on it.

And that's at -6 clicks behind 0 (full soft) and zero pre-load.

Wheels.... go-to setup for real performance applications is 18x9.5 +15 to +25 front and 18x10.5 same offsets rear. (Or thereabouts...) But honestly, it doesn't really matter if you're going to mess up a fine set of wheels by putting a tire on that's 80% of the width.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Daflamez
I completely understand what u are saying and actually have already went through the forums and found that my specs for alignment could go off if i drop it too low. I have also done research on both my rims and coilovers to see reviews. For the rims i have heard that no one has had technical issues with them such as bends cracks and breaks as long as u aren't seriously tracking the car ( which im not). The raceland coilovers ultimos (not regular) have actually gotten good reviews and are a decent in what i call a starter pair of coilovers if ur trying to drive lower and get a slight difference in handling for your daily driver. My question is now will these parts listed get my car in the same fitment as the cars posted above? I will post the specs below:

Spring rates:

2003-2008 Nissan 350z (Z33) Front - 830 lbs/in

Rear-
435 lbs/in
Drop rate:

1-4 inches.
Well, sure you can. Most coilovers will reduce height 25-30mm right out of the box (but with no option to stay at stock or close to stock height). Heck, lowering is the easiest thing anyone can do to a suspension. Throw on springs, cut the OEM ones or just put short bar stock in the spring perches (please don't anyone take that seriously, it's just there to punctuate the idiocy.)

Lowering it right is another thing. I said this in another thread just yesterday.... lowering for the sake of lowering and looks without considering the rest of the suspension geometry is just, well.... lame. Car'll look "all JDM 'n shid" but ride/drive just like that last word in the italicized text.

One more time.... factor in the ~$400 MINIMUM for lower end alignment gear and another $125 to get the alignment itself done by someone who knows what they're doing, performance wise.

But honestly, I think this thread is full of minds made up already. C'est la vie.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-17-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:38 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,108 Likes on 6,563 Posts

Originally Posted by JpGalaxy123

Anything helps
google.com