Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New Roll Bar-less visibility.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Roll Bar-less visibility.

Got a new roll bar installed. Custom, in order to get it far back enough because I'm tall. The combination of my height and the roll bar main hoop placement cuts my rear visibility in half. Not a huge issue but it occurs to me that if the mirror were lower I'd get most of my visibility back. Is it possible to reposition the OEM mirror lower or is there any type of 'clip on' mirror that would sit just below the OEM one?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Interesting- in my SCCA six-point roll cage, rearward visibility is quite good. Of course, my race seat placement is lower to get sufficient head clearance when seated. The non-electric rearview mirror works fine, although I've considered putting in a Wink (wideview) mirror at times. In any case, if your rearward vision is partially blocked, putting the rear mirror lower may not solve the problem. Experiment with placing the OEM mirror lower on the windshield by using racer tape to secure it before proceeding further. Make sure you have a good view for a distance behind you before making any changes.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 PM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you looked at these? It's looks pretty adjustable.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Longacre-Racin...22534/10002/-1
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 AM
N80

The one from Jegs would be good but I have a roll bar and not a cage so no way to attach that type.

I have found some suction cup based rear view mirrors which might work.

dkmura, in terms of the OEM mirror, I do not know how to remove or reinstall. I'm sure having a mirror lower down will solve the problem. Maybe I'll experiment with a suction cup mirror and once I get placement correct them move the OEM one if I can figure out how to do that. I think there is wiring that might limit how far down I could move it.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by N80
The one from Jegs would be good but I have a roll bar and not a cage so no way to attach that type.

I have found some suction cup based rear view mirrors which might work.

dkmura, in terms of the OEM mirror, I do not know how to remove or reinstall. I'm sure having a mirror lower down will solve the problem. Maybe I'll experiment with a suction cup mirror and once I get placement correct them move the OEM one if I can figure out how to do that. I think there is wiring that might limit how far down I could move it.
I knew I was missing something. Duh.....
Old 09-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Same with mine. Like to see what you come up with. You get used to it. lol
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 AM
N80

I'll drive it on the street for a while and might get used to it but the upper third of the back window is blocked. This would be an issue for cars in the distance or uphill behind me. Cars in the distance aren't that big a deal but I've been on track at VIR with Porsche GT3 Cup cars and Ferrari Challenge 458s. They come up on a stock 350z right fast.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:35 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

As long as you don't have a Homelink mirror, wiring shouldn't be much of a problem. But I'm not sure how "cars in the distance aren't that big a deal"? Managing traffic is only possible if you anticipate it. Being able to quickly scan my mirror and identify faster cars and gauge their distance is usually CRITICAL for me. Timing where to draft off a faster car in qualifying or the race can make or break a session. Conversely, finding a faster car suddenly filling your mirrors in a series of linked turns is no fun at all.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM
N80

Originally Posted by dkmura
As long as you don't have a Homelink mirror, wiring shouldn't be much of a problem.
I think it is a Homelink.

But I'm not sure how "cars in the distance aren't that big a deal"?
"Distance" is relative. What I meant was that I can still see a pretty good ways back, just not as far back as I'd like to. But, yes, those high end race cars come up real fast, even when you're doing 130 or so.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

its only a few wires to lengthen, not a big deal.. the plastic wire cover would be the only pita part, still not im possible to correct.
all mirrors have a base that is glued to the glass. Any glass place can do this for you, or there are kits to do it yourself. Glue it where you wish.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM
N80

How do you get it off?
The following users liked this post:
Blurvision (09-26-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM
N80

Ordered a suction cup rearview mirror off of Amazon. It was cheap so nothing lost if it doesn't work. I think positioning it lower should solve the problem. My race seat is down low but I'm 6'4" so my helmet touches the headliner.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:52 PM
N80

The suction cup mirror works perfectly (if it stays on). I've also researched how to remove the OEM mirror and it isn't that hard. So once I get a chance I'll remove the OEM mirror and get another mount for it and put it where I want it. I don't have a garage so don't care about Home Link functionality and will just leave it unplugged.

Now I just have to find out where to get a mirror base. I'm assuming the windshield companies either know how to get them off the glass and re-sticking them or they must have a source for them.
The following users liked this post:
bmccann101 (10-02-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 01:12 PM
N80

Feel like I'm talking to myself here but this info might help someone else. I found a mirror base at Concept Z. $25 shipped. Kind of pricey but this will allow me to put the OEM mirror where I want it. Now I just have to find out how to glue it on as I doubt it comes with instructions although it might have adhesive on the back of it.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:57 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm wondering what your rear visibility is like with a low-mounted rearview mirror? The angle out the steeply raked rear window will probably make the view more of a slit. That makes a difference when you're sizing up traffic with a glance.

Personally, it took a few tries with my fabricator to come up with seat mounts low enough to make the OEM mirror work. I swapped out the Homelink mirror for a standard mirror from a base model.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:11 PM
N80

My seat is pretty low. Lower than the OEM seat anyway. But, with the suction cup mirror just under the OEM one (and the OEM one angled up and out of the way to make room for it) the view is pretty close to normal. I can still see the bottom of the main hoop but not much.

So, I'm thinking when I move the OEM mirror it will only have to be lowered a little bit.

If the mirror base I ordered doesn't get here before I go to VIR I'll just remove the OEM mirror and use the suction cup one. I'm satisfied with the view through it.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 AM
N80

Got the mirror "button" from CZP. Will glue it up today. Sounds like the success rates for gluing these things is about 50/50.

The OEM mirror is easy to remove and I've mocked up where I need to mount it and the view is good.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 AM
N80

Glued up the mirror button with a Permatex kit. Was not confident that it would hold but it stayed in place driving to work this morning. Visibility is fine and much better than the cheap-o suction cup rear view mirror. If it will stay up....problem solved.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Very cool!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
N80

Last post on this, I hope. The OEM mirror fell off from its new position after 2 sessions of curb hopping at VIR. Cheap-o plastic suction cup mirror stayed stuck to the windshield but flopped all over the place so I JB welded its ball joint in place and it barely sufficed for the rest of the weekend. I'm blaming my poor track times on a crappy rearview mirror and worrying about traffic behind me the whole time......

So, I ordered a different type of glue for the mirror button and ordered a lighter weight but 'real' aftermarket rearview mirror.

I went to mark up where I wanted to glue the button on and found that this aftermarket mirror has a longer stalk and more adjustment and it will swing down low enough from the original position OEM button. The mirror is nice and clear with no distortion.

Problem solved. No second button necessary. I'm a happy man.

Last edited by N80; 10-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.