Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Downshifting into corner

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Jarmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting into corner

Track Racing -
HOW - Downshifting more that one gear after a long, high speed straight. I have a fair handle on threshold braking into corners but I can't manage threshold braking while sequentially blip-downshifting. Lets say I have to go from 6th to 3rd after a long straight, is it better to downshift sequentially (6-5-4-3) into the corner or get most of the braking done and just blip-shift from 6th to 3rd at the end of the braking zone? I dont have a sequential trans or anything and heel-toeing from 6th to 3rd, at full braking, seems impossible to me.

Is this something that the pros do? Is it worth practicing?

Thanks,
Jr
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,652 Posts

I take each gear , practice makes perfect
Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I and most of the other drivers I know go through the gears to insure that the right gear is selected. This does not mean letting clutch out each time though. Once in the final gear you can do the throttle blip and slowly realease the clutch. The clutch release is many times the key. The weight has shifted to the front so if the clutch is released too fast the rear wheels will let loose and get squirrelly

The following users liked this post:
guitman32 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:48 AM
jcrick

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a matter of preference. I have seen both ways done. Do what makes you comfortable.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Keep practicing. I personally skip gears.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I hit each gear going down but don't blip the throttle.

I know I'm some kind of loser but I can't heal-toe while braking at the limit either. I can heal-toe fine(ish) on the street. I think most of the problem comes from not having a racing seat and harness to hold me in. I use my braking foot to stabilize myself. Thus I find rolling over the accelerator is too tricky. On a list of things I prefer not to screw up its my braking zones

I hit each gear just to avoid the mess that happens of missing a gear. For example suddenly grabbing 2nd when I needed 4th. Been there, done that, bad things tend to happen

On the tracks I run I only use 3rd, 4th and 5th. There are few turns where 2nd could be used, but I find it upsets the balance or is too close to the rev limit. So I lug a bit in 3rd... I'm not trying to win any trophies so I'm OK with it. I've yet to get on a long enough track to need 6th and I run the Sebring which has the 1/2 mile Ullman Straight.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 AM
eye-5

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Road Atlanta is the only track I've driven that requires 5th to 3rd. Most tracks around me are 3rd and 4th only. I leave it in 5th as I start braking and then heel tow towards the end of the braking zone to 3rd so I'm back on partial throttle for turn in.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 AM
cubic202

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I and most of the other drivers I know go through the gears to insure that the right gear is selected. This does not mean letting clutch out each time though. Once in the final gear you can do the throttle blip and slowly realease the clutch. The clutch release is many times the key. The weight has shifted to the front so if the clutch is released too fast the rear wheels will let loose and get squirrelly

Yup, same here. Especially true on ACS coming from 2 in to the 3,4 corners; hard on the brakes, row through the gears, blip the throttle and smooth release of the clutch and your good to go.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
jcrick

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
I hit each gear going down but don't blip the throttle.

I know I'm some kind of loser but I can't heal-toe while braking at the limit either. I can heal-toe fine(ish) on the street. I think most of the problem comes from not having a racing seat and harness to hold me in. I use my braking foot to stabilize myself. Thus I find rolling over the accelerator is too tricky. On a list of things I prefer not to screw up its my braking zones

I hit each gear just to avoid the mess that happens of missing a gear. For example suddenly grabbing 2nd when I needed 4th. Been there, done that, bad things tend to happen

On the tracks I run I only use 3rd, 4th and 5th. There are few turns where 2nd could be used, but I find it upsets the balance or is too close to the rev limit. So I lug a bit in 3rd... I'm not trying to win any trophies so I'm OK with it. I've yet to get on a long enough track to need 6th and I run the Sebring which has the 1/2 mile Ullman Straight.
You might be surprised but many people don't heel-toe correctly. From looking at quite abit of data it is common enough to see people bleed pressure off the brakes while blipping the throttle. I can even see it in my data sometimes.
guitman32 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:52 PM
Jarmer

Thanks everyone. It seems like most of you are doing what I do, clutch in to the end if the breaking zone (and I don't mean clutch in at the start of the breaking zone). Then get in gear and start the turn. I don't move through the gears during breaking but I can see how that can avoid a disaster. I think I'll try that.
And someone called me outo on exaggerating a bit. The track I had in mind when I wrote this was Thunder at NJMP but I really only go from 6th down to 4th on the front straight.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarmer
Thanks everyone. It seems like most of you are doing what I do, clutch in to the end if the breaking zone (and I don't mean clutch in at the start of the breaking zone). Then get in gear and start the turn. I don't move through the gears during breaking but I can see how that can avoid a disaster. I think I'll try that.
And someone called me outo on exaggerating a bit. The track I had in mind when I wrote this was Thunder at NJMP but I really only go from 6th down to 4th on the front straight.
Not a good idea. You need load to help you maintain proper tire patch contact. Coming into a braking/turning situation unloaded (clutch disengaged) is both dangerous as well as the slow way in and out of a turn.

Learning to brake and downshift sequentially and quickly is the key to faster lap times. Very key aspect of car control taught in driving school.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jcrick
You might be surprised but many people don't heel-toe correctly. From looking at quite abit of data it is common enough to see people bleed pressure off the brakes while blipping the throttle. I can even see it in my data sometimes.
For sure - looking at my data (from an OBDII throttle trace) its amazing what you learn. I swore I was like at 60-70% throttle in some turns only to learn it was more like 25%. Your mind says "push harder" but your feet go into self preservation mode and refuse to follow commands
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrick
100% and I see it in my data as well. Requires a lot of practice to iron out.

Its fine to row down if it makes you smoother but some approaches necessitate skipping gears, and in that case im with mhoward1, you can virtually row through the gears to keep your mind in sync which will help you anticipate the higher throttle blip needed to synchronize the downshift.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 AM
eye-5

Originally Posted by guitman32
100% and I see it in my data as well. Requires a lot of practice to iron out.

Its fine to row down if it makes you smoother but some approaches necessitate skipping gears, and in that case im with mhoward1, you can virtually row through the gears to keep your mind in sync which will help you anticipate the higher throttle blip needed to synchronize the downshift.
I agree, I want the clutch in for as little time as possible. Why have it in the extra time it takes to row the gears?
Blurvision (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:30 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by eye-5
I agree, I want the clutch in for as little time as possible. Why have it in the extra time it takes to row the gears?
Why as little time as possible? Are you using the engine/trans for braking? I would rather wear out pads than a clutch for deceleration.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM
eye-5

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Why as little time as possible? Are you using the engine/trans for braking? I would rather wear out pads than a clutch for deceleration.
Just faster deceleration with the clutch out. I always leave the clutch out for braking unless the wheels are going to stop.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Blurvision

Originally Posted by Jarmer
6th on thunder????? Please do tell No hate just wana know. Its not that fast of straight.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Blurvision

Originally Posted by eye-5
No doubt. As little time as possible with your inputs. Less chance for error. Easier muscle memory. Make your shift and get on with the program.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 PM
13esim

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I go down every gear sequentially. I do let the clutch out each time also, helps you slow down a little faster due to engine braking. If we have a 6th to 2nd situation and we leave the car in 6th until we need 2nd our braking line is longer. Think of it like this, we have a massive straight, you let off the gas in 6th at 150 mph and let it coast unti we hit 40, then take 2nd, then in another scenario, 6th gear at 150 mph, every time it is suitable you blip the throttle and go down a gear. The latter will slow down faster. This applies to when you are braking also. It's miniscule but helps. This plus other reasons other people mentioned above.
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:49 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I don't believe engine braking slows you down any faster. braking is limited to tire traction and braking bias. So as long as all 4 wheels can apply braking force to the limit of tire traction then that is the maximum you can apply. It doesn't matter if the force is applied by the caliper or the engine.

I don't have data to support this in a Z car, so I can not prove it but I do have supporting data in other cars.

So if X is max force a tire on that corner to take, which component would you rather apply that force? The brake pad or the clutch disc?
Aeneas137 (10-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Downshifting into corner