Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

Louisiana Members - read this! Radar Detector Ban being proposed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Louisiana Members - read this! Radar Detector Ban being proposed.

There's a bill before the LA legislature to ban the use of Radar Detectors. Synopsis below, complete bill attached. Time for everybody to contact their reps.

Proposed law prohibits any person from operating a motor vehicle upon the highways of this state when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the state for law enforcement purposes.

Proposed law prohibits any person, company, corporation, or association to sell, lend, rent, lease, give, exchange, or otherwise distribute to any person any such device or mechanism.

Proposed law provides that its provisions are not to be construed to authorize the
confiscation of any such device or mechanism. Proposed law authorizes any such device or mechanism to be taken by a law enforcement officer, if needed, as evidence, and when no longer needed, proposed law requires such device or mechanism to be returned to the person charged with a violation of the proposed law, or at that person's request, and at his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Proposed law authorizes any unclaimed devices to be disposed of upon court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing
an appeal.

Proposed law provides that the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of this state constitutes prima facie evidence of a violation of the proposed law, but a person is not guilty when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, has no power source and is not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

Proposed law provides that its provisions are not applicable to:
(1) A receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.
(2) Motor vehicles owned by the state or any political subdivision and used by law
enforcement officers in their official capacity.
(3) The sale of any such device or mechanism to law enforcement agencies for use in their official capacity.

Proposed law provides that a violation is considered a nonmoving violation and prohibits a citation issued by a law enforcement officer for a violation from being included on the driver's operating record.

Effective August 15, 2008.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
streamdocument.pdf (16.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be ghey
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Olivia
Z-GiRL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh nooooo
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM
cbr900son

gayness
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
nothix

Dont Do It!!! =(

I don't want to buy a valentine 1 =( my $30 detector works good enough
Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM
cbr900son

BTW here is one congressman's email to contact.
a07ima@mail.house.gov this is charles boustany from laffayette area.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
nothix

/mail "Dear Mr Boustany, please don't ban radar detectors they have saved my life. One night I was driving home on the interstate and my vision became blurred and my eyes began to itch. If it were not for the trusty 'bleep bleep bleep' of my Traffic Detector, I would have surely rear ended the police vehicle in the road, and possibly killed 7 or more people. Thanks for my life PS DONT BAN RADAR DETECTORs"

OK that was gay, please don't read it
Old 03-20-2008, 02:51 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

I'm going to get a list of all state reps and senators and post it so everybody can email or write them. Spread the word around to the other car forums.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:58 PM
sumfknguy

with all the schit they have going on around here you would think they would worry about other stuff?

if so, i will have to go stealth..
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
z2g

Doesnt really bother me too much cause I dont have one nor find the need for one.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Since it's a Senate bill, the starting place would be with your local state senator:

http://senate.legis.state.la.us/Senators/ByDistrict.asp

You'll need to know what district you live in though.

Here's a link where you can find your senator by Parish:
http://senate.legis.state.la.us/Senators/ByParish.asp
Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM
MardiGrasMax

Originally Posted by nothix
Dont Do It!!! =(

V1 is detectable by the Spectre IV.

The only one I know of that is not detectable is the Bell STI Driver. I have one because I used to drive a bunch in Virginia. I got stopped once after beating a speed trap by VSP on I95, I was at the PSL when I passed the LEO for sure. When they stopped me I was told they were looking for drug mules the LEO claimed... G35 Sedan, tint, drop and Volks = drug mule? I have my detector mounted in my sunglass holder. The LEO leaned in my driver side window to talk with me and never noticed it. It saved me many times in VA. Occasionally after I would detect a trap and slow down the LEO running the trap would tail me for a few miles, I suspect they were using the Spectre or old VG3 on me but could not get a reading.

A laser jammer is much better to have though because they realy work to jam not just detect. I have been for sure saved a few tiles by my Laser Park Pro. Its a parking aid too

I'll write my senator for sure!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 PM
MardiGrasMax

Find your senator by address

http://senate.legis.state.la.us/Senators/ByAddress.htm
Old 03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
nuckinfutz74

Yes, that super sucks, who ever suggested that bill, should be hung by their toes, and given Chinese water torture!

Last edited by nuckinfutz74; 03-20-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Don Cravins is the culprit on this one. His name always seems to pop up in the news when the legislature pulls a dumb-a$$ move.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM
sumfknguy

i also read that along with this bill is other things: $175 and up to 30 days in jail if you're under 21 and caught using a cell while driving??? daaamn.

- Prohibit drivers under 18 from driving while using a cell phone, handheld or not; text messaging devices; or any other wireless communication device. The proposal calls for a fine of up to $175, up to 30 days in jail or both for a first offense, and up to 90 days in jail, a maximum $500 fine or both for subsequent convictions. Sen. Donald Cravins Jr., D-Opelousas, chairman of the Senate Insurance Committee, went along with the measure but said he is concerned about jailing a youth for the proposed offense.

-- Ban radar detectors and "jammers" from vehicles as a way to thwart police from writing speeding tickets. The proposal calls for a fine of $100 for each offense. Barron said the presence of the device in a vehicle assumes it is working, whether it is on or not.

-- Ban those under 21 from bars and microbreweries, under penalty of a $500 fine, 30 days in jail or both. Barron said the proposal would allow a person under 21 to enter a restaurant with a bar. He said four underage drinkers were killed a few months ago in Livingston Parish after leaving a bar and hitting a vehicle. They fled that accident only to be killed in a second crash a few minutes later.

-- Expand the state's seat belt law to require that all vehicle occupants be buckled up. State law now requires that just the driver and front-seat passengers wear a safety belt. More than three-fourths of the state's drivers and front-seat passengers now use seat belts.

-- Increase the fines for not wearing a seat belt in a moving vehicle from $25 to $50 for a first offense, $50 to $100 for a second offense, and $50 plus court costs to $100 plus court costs for later offenses. Haik said the language dealing with court costs, which are usually tacked on to all tickets issued, should be re-examined.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:15 PM
GeeXXXV

This is the worst ever....In a state that has drive thru daiquiris. Sure makes alot of sense.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
nuckinfutz74

Originally Posted by GeeXXXV
This is the worst ever....In a state that has drive thru daiquiris. Sure makes alot of sense.
LMAO...No $hit, how about they get rid of some of the reasons people actually drink and drive.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
cbr900son

Nah they will prob not worry bout real issues and pass things like this and laws about how low ur pants can be cause thats our main concerns!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

Originally Posted by nothix
Dont Do It!!! =(

not a chance in hell it works remotely as good as the V1

Quick Reply: Louisiana Members - read this! Radar Detector Ban being proposed.