Notices
South Central Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama

Monroe Louisiana...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Monroe Louisiana...

Well, my wife and I currently resided in Scottsdale, AZ. But she has a job offer that is financially beneficial enough for us to consider making a move. Any advice on the area? Quality of life? Car scene? My car currently won't pass emissions, but I have it registered in a county that I don't need to pass. Are there emissions to worry about? Do police single out tuner cars there?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We are at the stage were we are gathering information.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:38 PM
SilverStone2003

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Shreveport/Bossier its about a hour from Monroe and hour half from west monroe. Car scene isnt huge like it is else where, no emissions in the state so you dont have to worry about any of that non sense. Police dont really single out tuners there like tint ****'s basically.

Well, if you have a nice import you dont have to worry about them, but if you drive something the typical 16yr old drives with some god awful exhaust then yes you will be pulled over constantly.

Theres a local forum tho called 318racing.org I dont really get on there anymore but they arrange meet and eats in Monroe every week. So you could sign up on there and meet some locals rather easily.

Also once a month theres a drift/drag event at Gilliam Raceway, its about a 2 hour drive from Monroe tho. Usually have a pretty big turnout with guys from Texas,South LA, Ark, etc.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Add 15% to her offer as you (may) or may not be able to find work at your current salary. And there is a bullsh!t factor that you have to put up with during any move. I moved quite a bit back in the day following my construction management gig and my best advice is to, either on company time/dime or personal, go live in that city for a one week or two - do everything you like to do in that city and see how it compares...take people out to lunch in that particular office and see what they like and dislike about the company. I moved from Colorado Springs to the western slope and I drove my z out and I had a horrible reaction from the locals. Go to the neighborhood you would move to and scope out what type of cars people drive, how people maintain their houses, how they maintain their lawns, drive by at 8pm and see what people are up to at that hour, how many liquor stores are around? drive by the schools, the hospitals, the local govt offices...you will learn alot just by immersing yourself in their culture. Know that you will become 'them' as time goes by if you move there.

Last edited by bealljk; 09-26-2014 at 11:27 PM.