Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

NEED HELP!!: Moving to North Carolina!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 AM
mdacko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP!!: Moving to North Carolina!

my boyfriend has the opportunity to transfer his job down in the charlotte area of N.C. We live in Ann Arbor, MI right now.

I was just hoping someone could give me some information, since ive never been there and know nothing about NC.

first, some of the towns we are looking at. Whats the northern suburbs of Charlotte like? We are looking at apartments in huntersville and cornelius. are these decent towns? Decent i mean non ghetto violent hickville towns. hows the traffic around charlotte? i think its highway 77 that he would be using to get to and from work.

whats the night life like? are there good bars around the area?? How far away is the ocean?

whats the weather like this time of year? when does it get warm out?

also, most importantly, whats the car scene like? are there alot of Z owners in northern charlotte? are there any good car clubs or meets to go to?

any info would be greatly appreciated! we are pretty much going into this blind, so im pretty terrified about moving to a state ive never been to.

thanks guys
Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 AM
arlingtonz

ghetto violent hick towns?

In all seriousness, I lived in Chapel Hill, NC which is about 2.5 hours from Charoltte, my brother went to school right outside Charlotte. I don't know much about your towns but here is what I can tell you. Charlotte can be alot of fun, espcially if you want to "play" in the downtown area. As with all big cities there are some areas you want to avoid, but nothing like NYC or LA obviously. As for hick towns, yeah there are a lot of country folk around, but usually they aren't anything worse then southern gents (like myself ).

The weather is pretty warm, the winter you will get snow, because it is in the western part near the mountains, but you will be in NC and nothing will rival Ann Arbor, so I wouldn't worry to much about the winters. Summers are hot and sticky, but you are near the mountains which I hear helps. Near is an apporximation as I am from central NC. The beach depending on which ones you want to go to, you can get to SC beaches quicker I think about 4-5 hours, but NC outer banks (which are the best beaches on the east coast) are about 6-7 hours I would guess. good luck on the move, and I think there is a guy by the name mcduck who is a Z'er in charlotte. Part of the "HAWT STUNNAZ" signature I have seen flying around. Again good luck, and welcome home to the South
Old 01-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Low J.
Banned

I love Charlotte. I live in the Raleigh area just about 2 hours away but have a friend in Charlotte and am down there quite a bit. It's a much larger city than here in Raleigh so Charlotte has much more night life and stuff to do. They have a HUGE mall with bars and clubs everywhere. I love that place.

As for weather, it's typical North Carolina....the average high in the winter is in the upper 50's so you only get maybe 1 or 2 days of snow during the winter and typically it's all melted off by the next day. Mountains are about an hour or so away and the beaches between 2-3 hours if you go to Wrightsville beach and that area.

I love NC because you can still get big city things without much of the bad stuff that big cities have such as tons of crime and gangs and stuff. Great place to raise a family. The burbs around Charlotte are really nice....you can get high-brow if you want to but there are some nice medium priced developments there and housing in NC is still pretty cheap compared to much of the country.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM
mdacko

yeah im amazed at the prices of the apartments we are looking at as compared to ann arbor. so has anyone heard of huntersville or cornelius??

good towns???

are alot of people into imports down there?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 AM
NJDAN

My dad lives in Maiden NC just outside of Charlotte, he has a huge house for the money, and it is not ghetto at all.The prices are cheap too.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:04 AM
lmalmud

Huntersville and Cornelius are great areas - right on Lake Norman. I would live up there in a minute if I didn't have to commute back and forth to Charlotte. The traffic down I-77 in the morning and going back North toward the lake at 5PM sucks. It could take upwards of 1.5 hrs if there is a wreck or traffic is heavy. It really depends when you need to get to work. If you can get a job around that area, go for it.

The weather is great down here as everyone else has mentioned - we will ge the occasional snow storm but it is usually gone within a day or two. It gets pretty hot and humid between June and Sept, but you the lake is a great place to go to cool off.

Myrtle Beach is about 3-3.5 hours, depending on how fat you drive The mountains are a couple hours away and you can go skiing at a few select places (too icy for me though - bring me the powder!)

Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 02-03-2005, 05:51 AM
robcassell

where in charlotte is he planning on working?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM
robcassell

ok
Old 02-08-2005, 05:01 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I live about 45 minutes east of Charlotte in Albemarle. I'm not a city person, but I like the fact that I'm central to everything. 45 minutes from Charlotte, 1 hour from Greensboro, 45 minutes from Pinehurst. Also I live about 1 mile from Lake Tillery and Badin Lake is about 15 minutes away. This lake area is much less crowded than the Lake Norman area, just don't tell anyone.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 AM
mcduck

Going to do my best to cover point by point... hope this helps...

my boyfriend has the opportunity to transfer his job down in the charlotte area of N.C. We live in Ann Arbor, MI right now.
Once you're here... be sure to contact me about coming out to our local Z Club and some of the events we do

first, some of the towns we are looking at. Whats the northern suburbs of Charlotte like? We are looking at apartments in huntersville and cornelius. are these decent towns? Decent i mean non ghetto violent hickville towns. hows the traffic around charlotte? i think its highway 77 that he would be using to get to and from work.
Huntersville and Cornelius are both nice areas. I wouldn't call either "Hicksville", but either is probably going to be a little more country than you're used to in Ann Arbor. If you can afford a nicer apartment, check the South Park area and/or Dilworth. These are very nice areas and close to downtown (which in Charlotte is called uptown ) so they will be at a premium.

Oh... and I'm sorry your boyfriend will have to commute on I-77... North or South, it is the most congested path into town.

whats the night life like? are there good bars around the area?? How far away is the ocean?
There are some good bars both in downtown and around town. Depends on what you're looking for... college bar, good beer place/irish pub, dance club... PM me what you like and I can give you a better idea. If you like a nice beer drinking place and want an apartment, you should consider some apartments near the University area (not far from Huntersville). There is one right next to the best beer place in Charlotte... The Flying Saucer!

whats the weather like this time of year? when does it get warm out?
highs this week are in the upper 50s, lows in the high 20s... just a tiny bit warmer than normal. Summer is very hot and humid. From May to September, it is not uncommon to hit 90s (with the middle months having the most hot days, of course)

also, most importantly, whats the car scene like? are there alot of Z owners in northern charlotte? are there any good car clubs or meets to go to?
Contact me (mcduckz@earthlink.net... I can get you pointed in the right direction for this. I know, or know of, most of the car stuff you'll want to check out and avoid in town. Best bets are going to be to get involved with Carolina Z Club, members you see on this forum, and HighTach Motorsports. Also, if you plan to be here before May, try to make arrangements to go to ZDayZ at Tail of the Dragon. Sure, I'm plugging my own event , but it's shaping up to be the biggest Z event in the SouthEast with possible exception of ZFest in Florida.

any info would be greatly appreciated! we are pretty much going into this blind, so im pretty terrified about moving to a state ive never been to.

It'll be fun... don't worry about it. We'll do our best to make you feel welcome when you get here.

thanks guys

you're welcome... this was much more fun than working anyway!

Last edited by mcduck; 02-08-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
robcassell

nice description, I would rather live in southpark/dilworth area and pay 50 extra dollars a month for rent than to commute from huntersville in the morning!