Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Moving to Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Indian River County, Vero beach/Sebastian area. We have Indian River Community College here. It's a nice place to live on the ocean. it's about an hour from Orlando and Palm Beach. We have absolutley no traffic here.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 PM
calprl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"i have heard sarasota is amazing and not too expensive, other than the fact that it is outside center(?) city which has everything bad an average city has. anyone have experience with the local comm college there, manatee cc? i looked at the courses offered and it seems like a very small amount and pretty remedial, for example the list was riddled with prealg and basic alg and did not offer something as simple as statistics."

Manatee CC is or was (been a few years) high school with ash trays! They offer all of the basic and required courses for AA or AS degrees. I am born and raised in Sarasota, and I have no idea what you mean by "outside center city"???

If you make it to Sarasota, let me know and I'd be happy to show you around.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by calprl
"i have heard sarasota is amazing and not too expensive, other than the fact that it is outside center(?) city which has everything bad an average city has. anyone have experience with the local comm college there, manatee cc? i looked at the courses offered and it seems like a very small amount and pretty remedial, for example the list was riddled with prealg and basic alg and did not offer something as simple as statistics."

Manatee CC is or was (been a few years) high school with ash trays! They offer all of the basic and required courses for AA or AS degrees. I am born and raised in Sarasota, and I have no idea what you mean by "outside center city"???

If you make it to Sarasota, let me know and I'd be happy to show you around.
i assume that you are implying that the school is def not good...? do you know anything about its performance in comparison to other schools in florida? i mean the community college i went to in jersey was what you are saying, a sad excuse for what should be the basis of my future studies. however, is it a decent education with enough classes in relevance to the amount of students (i ask because i am really late as far as registration etc..)?

regardless, sarasota is pretty high on my list due to the fact that i hear it is absolutely beautiful. i asked my friend who said that and she said that its not "center city", but rather that it is on the outskirts of a major city. i appreciate the offer, i will def take you up on it if i do end up moving there.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:20 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
i moved to southwest florida from nj...not to bad alot of old people but other than that its chill

WHO YOU CALLING OLD........... Ft.Myers is pretty decent with a good community college.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 AM
w0ady

anywhere in central/north florida would be best really. its all friendly than south fl. crime rate is dependent - jax isnt that great. anywhere in fl is 65 mins from the beach so you're in luck. tons of schools as well.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Will_Evo

I lived in Brandon, FL(10 mins south of Tampa) growing up and attended Hillsborough Community College. IMO Brandon is an awesome town, away from the hustle of Tampa but only by 10 mins or so. Also the University of South Florida is located near by and has an awesome campus. HCC has 3 different campus locations all around Tampa for various majors.

Tampa is an AWESOME city I miss it everyday now that I am in the army..it has the party scene, High life, bar scene, Amusement Parks, Tampa Bay, good sports teams..and generally speaking, in Brandon...the crime rate is low.

Brandon is about 2 hours from the HUGE city of orlando so access to the attractions there are easy to get to. Beaches are about 45min-1 hour away south.. or you can head west toward Clearwater which is an awesome beach as well..I could talk all day about tampa/brandon area..I miss it tons.

Evo
Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM
jruocco

i'd look around the Orlando area as there is so much to do there, but if your wanting to go to a 4yr college after comm u should def pick that one u want and move close to it.
South Florida is good but its to expensive in alot of places, to much traffic and to much of a drive to get to different areas. If you don't mind all that then its a great place to live.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 PM
LadieZ

pensacola is always nice lol