Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Moving to Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 PM
R-TuneZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving to Florida!

ok so, this is not really all that Z related, except for the fact that i will be moving to florida in my Z but that is irrelevant.

i am in the process of moving into the state. i am facing some pretty unique circumstances and i am asking for the help of any former/current florida residents for some input. timing is key.

i am looking for a new place to live. i am entering my last year of comm college, and therefore i would like to go somewhere in florida that has a good comm college system. other requirements are low crime and general hostility, pleasant area, preferably near a beach. cost is not really a factor, just nothing out of hand.

if anyone could give me some guidance, as to potential towns or even counties i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
xebotwinturbo
Banned

i dont think you can find a college campus in florida w/ lower crime rate.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Zridder19

welcome to FL... these are the things you have to look farward too

Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
StrtDivG35

Jacksonville isnt known for its low crime rate but it has everything else that you listed. FCCJ is the local community college and its rated to be one of hte best in the country (http://www.fccj.org . The beach is pretty nice and a bunch of nice areas of town. I personally love it in Jacksonville.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
R-TuneZ

let me clarify... i do not need to live in the town where the comm college is located. within an hour would be great. a little further is ok. just a location with my specs, near a good comm college.

and thanks for the responses so far.

and im not looking forward to ***** shaped objects near my mouth but thats the funniest picture i have seen all year lol.

what is the general attitude of people in florida...? i mean i have lived in jersey a good portion of my life so i am pretty sure just about anything is better, because, to be honest, everyone in jersey is pretty much an *******.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM
calprl

Sarasota is pretty nice. Laid back, good spring break crowds. Its about 45 to an hour from tampa. Different people from Jersey...my family is from there and I was born in Florida. everytime my cousin comes to visit he says he wants to stay because he hates Jersey. There is crime, but no more or less than other small cities. Rent is getting cheaper around here since everyone that bought a condo to flip is having to hold on to them, they are renting for anything just to get someone in there.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

UCF and Valencia are pretty good from what I hear, so come to Orlando. Plus there is a good car scene down here.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 AM
MLEPELLETIER

I moved down from Jerzy 20 years ago.
Never want to go back.
The only thing that sucks down here is from June to Aug 90+ degree weather

Live in a mid size town called Port. St. Lucie.
No crime.
About 45 min to West Palm, 1 1/2 to Orlando

Indian River CC is all over down here in 4 nearby cities.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Smawg350

Well, at least none of you live in Port Charlotte, we have the highes old folk count in the nation. Yes, it sucks. Driving 15 mph under the speed limit, old people who cant see over a steering wheel... its never ending haha. FL its self is pretty sweet. Gainesville from what I understand is hot ish, Ive been there quite a few times, and I love it there.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MLEPELLETIER
I moved down from Jerzy 20 years ago.
Never want to go back.
The only thing that sucks down here is from June to Aug 90+ degree weather

Live in a mid size town called Port. St. Lucie.
No crime.
About 45 min to West Palm, 1 1/2 to Orlando

Indian River CC is all over down here in 4 nearby cities.
Port St. Lucie- land of foreclosed and abandoned homes. Come take your pick, there's plenty to choose from.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

If your from NJ you will end up on the east coast, Midwestern people end up on the west. dont let the map fool you, Jacksonville is in Georgia.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin

Originally Posted by danisr1
If your from NJ you will end up on the east coast, Midwestern people end up on the west. dont let the map fool you, Jacksonville is in Georgia.

Just like Ft. Myers is in Cuba...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Ztouring04

i moved to southwest florida from nj...not to bad alot of old people but other than that its chill
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by AboostedG
Just like Ft. Myers is in Cuba...
http://www.lee-county.com/dcd/DataRe...mographics.htm

not so much, I was j/k my best friend lives in Jax, Its not a bad town, but to me it has more of a deep south feel to it than a "typical" person would think of florida.

In fact for the OP, north of orlando will have that deep south look/feel to it, while south of orlando will tend to be more of the snowbird retirement feel on the west coast, and miami to west palm will have a heavy latino culture influence
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin

Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend Gainesville, Santa Fe community college is a great community college. Gainesville also has everything you looking for except for being near a beach, ( about an hour away form the closest). Where do you plan on going after community college? major?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Z_rican

don't go to Miami. Central Fl is nice.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Originally Posted by calprl
Sarasota is pretty nice. Laid back, good spring break crowds. Its about 45 to an hour from tampa. Different people from Jersey...my family is from there and I was born in Florida. everytime my cousin comes to visit he says he wants to stay because he hates Jersey. There is crime, but no more or less than other small cities. Rent is getting cheaper around here since everyone that bought a condo to flip is having to hold on to them, they are renting for anything just to get someone in there.
Aunt use to live in Sarasota. Its a pretty nice town.

You could always hit up FAU. Got a friend going there next year. BOCA RATON FTMFW if you have some cash to burn.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
imonlykidden

Tampa, clearwater area is nice. Though it is not on the ocean side, but still the GULF side is very nice. Decent (average) $$ for houses.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by sk26dett
I recommend Gainesville, Santa Fe community college is a great community college. Gainesville also has everything you looking for except for being near a beach, ( about an hour away form the closest). Where do you plan on going after community college? major?
i have any option but maybe going to UCF per the transfer option many comm colleges offer. I have not decided on a major yet, it is between psychology and business at this point. large gap though lol, not many classes that partake in the development of both of those majors.

i have heard sarasota is amazing and not too expensive, other than the fact that it is outside center(?) city which has everything bad an average city has. anyone have experience with the local comm college there, manatee cc? i looked at the courses offered and it seems like a very small amount and pretty remedial, for example the list was riddled with prealg and basic alg and did not offer something as simple as statistics.

i heard/researched miami is terrible and the county college is garbage. dont plan on going there.

anyone have input on seminole county area? or tampa? palm beach?

i have lived in some "southern" regions, i.e. nc, and though i do not mind it at all, i do not prefer it either. i agree with danisr1, i am hoping for the NE coast feel without the *******s.

er, i forgot to mention that i am trying to go more for a town feel than a city.

i appreciate all of the answers and input btw, it is a huge help. i am making my way to florida this wednesday and i am sort of playing it by ear lol. i hope i make it in time for the deadlines .

Last edited by R-TuneZ; 07-24-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Moving to Florida!