South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

FL Owners please help NJ Z Owner out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question FL Owners please help NJ Z Owner out

Here's the deal:

I may have a chance to move from NJ to Ormond Beach, Florida.

How is the Car scene here? Coming from NJ my Z is stored for months at a time and during Spring/Summer/Fall is when I hit cruises/meets/ect. Is there a lot going on in this area or close to it?

How is work? From what I hear jobs are hard to find, but this will be something I will do before any decision is made, and that is look for work.

How are the people? Coming from here I deal with a lot, and I mean a lot of d-bags from the City / NJ. If you are from here or have been here enough, you will know what I mean.

Thanks for any help/info you guys can provide.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM
optimus350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Mike you leaving Jerz. I was comtemplating on moving out there. Most of my family and friends are there. Big move which could also be beneficial.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
chuquison

well work, work is really hard to find in florida, I dont know about ormand beach but in the central florida area its been hard enless your in law enforcement.

people, I feel people here are more laid back in my opinion. people tend to keep to themselves and I noticed where I live in my neighborhood when you drive by people they tend to wave at you and say hi...

car scene well i notice there is a battle between imports and domestic cars. but in all I think its pretty good, the tampa peeps have alot of meets and cruises, orlando has a few shows and I know that once a week they meet up near UCF which is about a 1 hour and 15 mins from you and they have some really nice cars. there is a few tracks to run your car in a straight away and I think once every 3 months I see some timed cone driving put up by local and national car clubs. I know NOPI was a big deal at one point of the year. Also in sanford they have a monthly exotic car meet up in sanford which is about 50 mins from you, I think its every first saturday, quite a few cars go even Z's

one thing I noticed is there really isnt any quality z shops, your best bet will be GA or south florida for shops.

im sure housing here is much cheaper than up there and cost of stuff is maybe alittle cheaper but if you have a good job youll come out on top.

I moved out here from San Diego, I pretty much lost 30k in pay but I make enough to own a nice 5 bedroom house and as soon as I am done with the remodeling I will start working more on the z. I think the roads in ormand are good for a lowered z once you get to know the area well
Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Figs350ZR

Well, there's no state income taxes down here in FL... so that's a plus over NJ! Though, I like your Gov up there. Looks like he might actually make NJ a "garden" of a state again!

(my dad's from Jersey)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
porschett

The state's broke, and an income tax is on the way. Don't come unless you have a job. And don't but a house, they're predicting another 20% fall in prices this year.

I have a house on the West coast which I rent during the winter months. In the summer, I move back there and rent my house in NC. Works for me, I live rent free!

My ex has a house in Tampa, valued at $1.2M in 12/07. Today, $485T. ))))))
Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by porschett
The state's broke, and an income tax is on the way. Don't come unless you have a job. And don't but a house, they're predicting another 20% fall in prices this year.

I have a house on the West coast which I rent during the winter months. In the summer, I move back there and rent my house in NC. Works for me, I live rent free!

My ex has a house in Tampa, valued at $1.2M in 12/07. Today, $485T. ))))))
And where is the housing market increasing? I agree 100% don't buy.

Just think no snow also you can drive your z year round gas prices are better.

Just like anywhere you move there are good things and bad things.

Just my nickel

Chris
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Figs350ZR

Originally Posted by porschett
The state's broke, and an income tax is on the way.
Don't hold your breath. This state's problems aren't because of a lack of an income tax. Just look to California if you want an example of how putting more taxes on a state's citizens, then there you go. There's a whole lot more to it than that... immigration issues, more retirees than any other state, majority of the state relying on tourism and then there's the hyper-inflated house prices just like Cali had... never in the history of real estate have house prices risen exponentially in a matter of a couple years like they did over the last 10+ years... the bubble was bound to burst when it did.

Taxes are not the answer.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Ztouring04

i moved from nj to florida about 4 years ago....car scene is all year round, nice weather. i just bought a beautiful house , deff not leaving for awhile ahahah
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM
graffkid732

Thanks for input. I won't be buying a house, I will be moving in with grandfather as he will have a 4 bedroom house, big yard, and a 2 car garage. I will have to search for work. And as long as there is a good machine shop somewhere by, I can pretty much do my own work or at least learn to do it. What I have been doing up here.

I figured people are better attitude wise than NJ.

Roads, from what I am told are good as some stated. I am not slammed nor will I be, but I will be lowered.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
350zfun19

I moved to Fl from NJ a year ago this month and it seriously was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love it here. A lot of people that are from here hate it here tho haha idk maybe its that I been here all my life feeling that I had in NJ.
As far as a job I got lucky and was able to stay with the same company and transfer down here, and its only 7 miles away from my house. I started work 2 days after I got here. so thats a must id say.. find a job first.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
billsrcursed

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Thanks for input. I won't be buying a house, I will be moving in with grandfather as he will have a 4 bedroom house, big yard, and a 2 car garage. I will have to search for work. And as long as there is a good machine shop somewhere by, I can pretty much do my own work or at least learn to do it. What I have been doing up here.

I figured people are better attitude wise than NJ.

Roads, from what I am told are good as some stated. I am not slammed nor will I be, but I will be lowered.
It's funny because most people who live here moved here from somewhere else. Very few "born and raised" Floridians. Lot's of NE'ers here, but overall the attitude is much more relaxed than up north. I guess when you move here you take the laid back attitude (weather maybe?).

What kind of work do you do? Maybe someone on the board here can help you out.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM
graffkid732

Originally Posted by billsrcursed
It's funny because most people who live here moved here from somewhere else. Very few "born and raised" Floridians. Lot's of NE'ers here, but overall the attitude is much more relaxed than up north. I guess when you move here you take the laid back attitude (weather maybe?).

What kind of work do you do? Maybe someone on the board here can help you out.
Right now I do assembly in the Spray Foam business. For insulation on house, buildings, refrigerators, freezers, cooler, ect. Some even use them for bed liners on pick-ups and bumpers as well for cars.

I'm pretty mechanical and learn very fast if hands on. If going by a book or paper or just hearing it, may take a little longer, but as soon as I start, I will quickly progress.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

<<<<would have no problem moving to FL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9T8ukqRRo
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 PM
tranceformer95

<--- another NJ to FL transplant, moved here about a year ago. I was lucky enough to have my company move me down here. I can drive my Z year round and I don't pay state income tax. Although it sucked paying $400 to register my car here.

I'm liking it down here so far.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM
graffkid732

Yeah, I think some time early in the Summer I will take a vacation and check everything out.