Notices
South East North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida

Z Club of Florida Presents: The Run 9 Dec 10, 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Juno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a timed run doesn't stop people from driving like idiots.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOPOS
Canceling the timed run was lame. Turned it into a rice run. I don't care what any of you say, 95mph in a residential neighborhood is not cool. I was hoping this would be a little more than just a luck thing too, but it is what it is.

Having the time portion of a run event may create a false sense of safe driving. While some drivers may be more conscientious (because they are always that type driver), the fact remains that there will ALWAYS be those that don't follow any rules set forth.

As stated before, the rules of the road are what we stress that each driver follow. We can only impress upon everyone to be safe (for yourself and others).
Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 AM
briin79

Anyone else find it odd that the person picking the tickets for the prizes was the same one that one the grand prize? one person winning the same prize 3 times in a row, adding more tickets should increase your chances of winning that prize not obtaining multiple prizes of the same thing seeing as most likely only one could be used. I was pretty dissapointed to say the least. I will not be there next year.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Juno

Those same people also buy a ton of tickets. If you want to increase your odds, buy more tickets. All the money goes to charity anyway. The only reason I won the track day this year is because 'Drea doesn't have a car. She always buys way more tickets than I do, and usually wins it. LOL

Last edited by Juno; 12-12-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Originally Posted by briin79
Anyone else find it odd that the person picking the tickets for the prizes was the same one that one the grand prize? one person winning the same prize 3 times in a row, adding more tickets should increase your chances of winning that prize not obtaining multiple prizes of the same thing seeing as most likely only one could be used. I was pretty dissapointed to say the least. I will not be there next year.

The person who won the grand prize is married and they both own Z cars. They also Pre-registered and purchased $100 each. That means that both received 64 FREE tickets. Now, you put 164 free tickets in a bucket you are bound to be the winner.

Also, those people who won multiple times in one prize category stuffed that box with tons of tickets (the heat wrap had 7 tickets in it, 6 of them were from the same person...general raffle was the same way). I bought $60 worth (got 14 free) put all of my 74 tickets in the track day box, but JUNO probably purchased $80 tickets, received 30 free ones (110 tickets total) from that, and won it.

If you had attended in the past you would have seen the same pattern. Raffles just run that way...got to ZDAYZ same pattern happens. I've been going there for 7yrs and see it all the time. Who can get mad at a charity for KIDS (battered kids at that)??

Last edited by shezzzhot; 12-12-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Blooster

Maybe for next year ... ?

If somebody is set at the front to lead, ask them to set a good example. Some designated leaders set a pretty brisk pace, making it tough to stay up. People in a hurry will still pass, but maybe people who want to follow will get into the expected frame of mind.

Also, you probably won't like this, but i think that organizers generally shouldn't be eligible for prizes. Its the old "semblance of impropriety" thing. You did nothing wrong but it could look like you did because you have an advantage. That's why so many contests say employees can't win.

Still think you did a great job!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Blooster, all club members are eligible to play a hand in poker and purchase tickets. It's the same odds as anyone else who purchases tickets. Perhaps next year we will select random people in the crowd to pull tickets, but it was all fair. I didn't put tickets in the exhaust, I watched Tara pull one ticket out just like all the other prizes. She and her husband Mike just had over 200 tickets in there.

Last edited by shezzzhot; 12-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 AM
nismonian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome RUN once again! it was a blast!

thanks to all who helped make this happen. pam- i gotta agree that sounds like the best choice.. just have random people come up and pull tickets instead of one of the "organizers" so nobody has an excuse. i know for a fact it was fair 100%
Old 12-12-2011, 10:31 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by Blooster

If somebody is set at the front to lead, ask them to set a good example. Some designated leaders set a pretty brisk pace, making it tough to stay up. People in a hurry will still pass, but maybe people who want to follow will get into the expected frame of mind.

Also, you probably won't like this, but i think that organizers generally shouldn't be eligible for prizes. Its the old "semblance of impropriety" thing. You did nothing wrong but it could look like you did because you have an advantage. That's why so many contests say employees can't win.

GOod point. Who is to say the ticket was not already placed between fingers. Your ticket puller didnt stuff the box with tickets, since they were the ones with their hands in the ticket box. Anyone can make a case for the reason they won for both sides, the fact of the matter is the one pulling the tickets is the one winning the grand prize.
Can't get mad at giving to charity which i did, But it should be on a level playing field in my opinion and others that were there.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 PM
jblz

Who is to say the ticket was not already placed between fingers.
Really? No, wait. REALLY??? Where is my violin? Every time I need that darn thing, I lose it. It is just so d@mn small. I would buy a bigger one, but the amount of complaining here just doesn't warrant the purchase.

GET OVER IT!! Everyone I know had a really great time! With good people, food, a lot of great cars and a fun drive. It was a great day all-around. (without even mentioning the charity aspect).

So you didn't win an exhaust. So what?!! Did you have a good time?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making constructive suggestions for change (like blooster's above recommendation). But the whining and complaining and threats of not coming back... Fine. Good riddance.

Last edited by jblz; 12-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
briin79

Originally Posted by jblz
Really? No, wait. REALLY??? Where is my violin? Every time I need that darn thing, I lose it. It is just so d@mn small. I would buy a bigger one, but the amount of complaining here just doesn't warrant the purchase.

GET OVER IT!! Apart from Slopos...Everyone I know had a really great time! With good people, food, a lot of great cars and a fun drive. It was a great day all-around. (without even mentioning the charity aspect).

So you didn't win an exhaust. So what?!! Did you have a good time?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making constructive suggestions for change (like blooster's above recommendation). But the whining and complaining and threats of not coming back... Fine. Good riddance.
I brought up a valid point JBL, are you looking for applause here? well great show
Just because im bringing up what others were saying at the event makes me the bad guy, thats cool i can deal with that.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM
nismonian

really?!? so how many people thought there was cheating?!?!?!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
jblz

I brought up a valid point JBL, are you looking for applause here? well great show
Just because im bringing up what others were saying at the event makes me the bad guy, thats cool i can deal with that.
Thank you for applauding my show. I do try.

And you brought up a valid point...Agreed. And like blooster said, maybe some changes are needed and I'm not disputing that either. It's a very large event, run solely by volunteers, so the possibility that every little detail may not go perfectly smooth for every attendee may occur.

My issue with this is here >>> The threats of not to come back, and alleging some grand scheme to $crew you out of some stupid exhaust... like I said...get over it man. It's a car part. Hence the violin.

But did you have a great time...all day...with lots of cars...people...food...driving...etc...how much is all that worth to you??

I'm sure the "lords of The Run" are reading this and will take all of these comments under consideration for next year. Until then, enough with the whining and the threats. You sound like the 99%.

Last edited by jblz; 12-12-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Originally Posted by nismonian
really?!? so how many people thought there was cheating?!?!?!

Mo, there's people that b!tch every year that there's cheating: on the cards, on the raffle. It happens at S&R poker events, our events, and even ZDAYZ. There will ALWAYS be this argument. We could have had a BINGO style raffle barrel on a wheel and had a infant pull out the ticket and they would have cried FOWL.

I am unbothered by this. Next year we will hire red and black Ants to draw the tickets.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:32 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Originally Posted by jblz
Thank you for complimenting my show. I do try.

And you brought up a valid point...Agreed. And like blooster said, maybe some changes are needed and I'm not disputing that either. It's a very large event, run solely by volunteers, so the possibility that every little detail may not go perfectly smooth for every attendee may occur....

I'm sure the "lords of The Run" are reading this and will take all of these comments under consideration for next year. Until then, enough with the whining and the threats. You sound like the 99%.
The volunteers work for 5-6 months (no pay involved) and take up their own free time to make this event come off without a HITCH. Thanks for the support!!

We will take all constructive criticism into play to make the next event even better!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
nismonian

werd! hopefully i'll have a few mods to help with beating vik in the corners next time

oh and pics?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
SLOPOS

Damn, people putting words in my mouth. The only thing I said was people were being unsafe, and I was looking forward to a timed run (since S&R does two poker runs a year, on almost the same exact course as 'The Run') to be something different. I don't think it was rigged or anything like that, I just think if your going to advertise an activity, don't cancel it at the last minute without telling anyone. I actually praised the run in most of my post.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
jblz

ok, ok, I'll take that part out.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Southgachik
akaAnnie Oakley

wow... for the one that didn't win anything and probably only bought $20 of tickets vs the $200+ that some people sink into our event for charity-- He who buys the most tickets has a better chance of winning.

As for you Mr. SlowPOS, there are asshats that get pulled over, run people off the road, etc. etc. every year. We can't help that, the best thing we can hope is that they don't hurt anyone and it's not associated with our club. So the timed event obviously didn't change anything, now did it? The time event is won by chance anyway... you can have someone speed through the entire thing and sit at the gas station for 20 min before coming in and then win the event with an exact time right down to the second. So your point of it keeping people in check is invalid.

As for route... yes, some of those roads are used by S&R. Why? Because they are fun driving roads. Somehow I don't think driving large main highways the entire time are any fun. So since we are limited by time and routes from point A to point B, I chose some of the best possible, without making the route insanely long (who really wants to be in a car for 4 hrs). Also alot of people don't run S&R's poker runs, so this is the only time they drive them. Another thing is our route varies from year to year, that takes time to make up and give you the best directions possible.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Southgachik
akaAnnie Oakley

Originally Posted by Blooster

That's where navigators come into play, they can keep up with the directions and an eye out for turns while you keep your eyes on the road. If you are driving alone you must pick and choose who you decide to follow wisely, they may drive faster or slower than you like or may not know how to follow directions and make a wrong turn or miss a turn. The poker run is not set up to have any designated leaders, each car is on its own.

As for the tickets, all the organizers put in money for the charity as well. It's only fair that we should all get tickets for that money as well. People will always think that raffles are fixed for some reason. Simple fact is some people spend more money on the tickets and their chances are greater and some people are just darn lucky. LOL.

unfortunately I've never been one of those lucky peeps to win everything.

I'm so glad you guys came up for the event and thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Z Club of Florida Presents: The Run 9 Dec 10, 2011