Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts
Default 350Z Colorado track day discussion

Thought about this quite a bit last night and wanted to start a new thread on the topic. Over the past three months, I've had my Redline track model out at Pueblo Motorsports Park (PMI) and Second Creek Raceway (SCR) on several occasions. We are fortunate enough to live in a state that has highly affordable road courses nearby. Still, PMI would be an excellent choice as it offers a good blend of a (relatively) high-speed banked turn, elevation changes (always a prime fun factor), a slow hairpin, linked medium-speed turns and two good sized straights. In short, PMI offers the best course layout in our region (but not amenities- get ready for port-a-johns and high desert vistas).

The other plus, is the cost for a potential '350Z day' at PMI. They have a simple fee: $60 for any car that will be out on the track. Since I know the track manager, I'd be glad to set up a date, but unfortunately we'd also have to share it with whoever else wants to test or race that day. Remember that Febuary is our best 'window of opportunity' as other organized car clubs crank up their weekend activities after this.

As I mentioned in the prior thread posted by Mudd, I'd be happy to draw on my background as an SCCA instructor (I've also worked a BMW event as well) to set up a day for us. Perhaps we should also talk about what you need to get ready for such an event. Everybody who plans to run should (beg, borrow or buy) a helmet, preferrably with a Snell SA (special application) certification. A helmet with a 'M' certification is OK, but you should know that it was built around motorcycle use and may not have the repeated impact protection that a 'SA' helmet provides. Next, consider brake pads for your 350Z (or whatever you plan to run). I changed out my stock pads shortly after the break-in and found that they were well-worn. Currently I'm using the Hawk HP Plus, which is a slight step up (yes, they still produce lots of brake dust) and suitable for track use. I'd suggest calling Andy Lim at Cobalt Friction (do a search) to source the Hawks or Axxis pads and don't forget to say you saw it here for a smart discount! Also consider replacing your brake fluid with a DOT 4 upgrade (I use Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4, available at most area car stores) to add some protection against brake fade. Believe it or not, brakes may be the limiting factor in how much track time you get. I'll also offer to help anyone who needs to work on their brakes BEFORE the track day to get you ready. Finally, consider that those Bridgestones 040s will see some good wear during the day. Maybe THIS is how you get that new set of tires for your baby!

After checking my calendar I'd suggest that we shoot for Sunday, Febuary 16th or Monday (President's Day) the 17th for our second Colorado '350Z day'. Anyone have further comments or an alternate date to suggest?

Last edited by dkmura; 01-27-2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:06 PM
kohlersc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I would not be able to make Sunday the 16th of Feb as my friend has talked me into entering the autocross event at Coors Field. Monday the 17th is also out for me due to prior engagements and work (since we can't get Presidents' day off).

The following weekend the 23 I think would be better for me.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

One less vacation day has always been used for mundane purposes than this.

I'm (so) there.

Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 03:53 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Count me in

As Joe said, I'm so there.

Both the days you stated work for me. I'll stay clear of the actual racing surface, but will record the event for Sport Z.

Bob
Old 01-30-2003, 05:28 AM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

Default Sunday

I perceive that if we establish a specific date for this get together, we will get a few more people to respond. I think Sunday would be the better choice as more people will likely be able to attend than Monday.

Monday may be better because of fewer people being there. More space on the track sounds like less testosterone induced bad decisions for me anyway.

Saturday people, where are you?

Joe
Old 01-30-2003, 04:37 PM
DenverZZ

This is from Jim (DB from Sat.) We would love to go to the track, but we will be out of town Feb, 14 thru Feb, 18. We will also be out of town March 1 thru Mar 8.

If you end up having the track day some other weekend then we would like to attend. We would enjoy the training and the chance to get on the track with the Z.

Don't change the weekend plans on our account, but we would be very interested if you do move to a different weekend, or if you have a second day at sometime in the future.

We both enjoyed to meeting Sat. and look forward to seeing all of those great looking Z's in the future.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:03 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Sunday, February 16th

Just an update on the date for PMI. Talked with the track manager today and he said both the 16th and 17th were available (no other renters thus far). So, taking Shogun's suggestion, I opted for Sunday in the hope that we might get a bit more interest. As I mentioned earlier, the cost per car on the track is $60. Now, with both this and the Solo II event at Coors Field scheduled, I think we can pretty much guarantee a white-out, big ***** snowstorm THAT weekend!

We still haven't had as much interest as I thought (just Shogun, Zpublisher and myself, so far) and I'm wondering why. If the idea of going out to a real racetrack is intimidating, perhaps we should have some discussion(s) about how to allieviate that. Once again, the plan would be to initially work on some basic skills, including braking, shifting and steering. There will be some lessons on heel-toe downshifting and some limited work on the basics of high-performance driving techniques. Later in the afternoon, I plan to break down the overall race track into sections and gradually work up to speed. All this without any fear of having flashing lights show up behind you and/or spending lots of money at a big name driving school.

Besides that, there is a KILLER mexican restaurant in Pueblo for lunch!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:03 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Why?

Snow, we need.

Snow, we need a lot. [We should all commit]

350Z get togethers, we need a lot also.

Why so little interest???

Participants will be on the Sport Z www [Fun Page and Home Page]. May even make the printed pages [you could become famous].

Been swamped with Spring 2003 but there will be some shots of our first 350Z get together going up on the www next week.

Could it be that some of us are in the Witness Protection Program and do not need national exposure?

Late,

Bob
Old 02-01-2003, 08:21 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I'm so late to the party. A friend is coming up for a ski trip in February, and we've been trying to finalize the dates for it. Nothing's locked down yet, but we're shooting to do that on the weekend of the 22nd, so I can tentatively commit to a track day on the 16th/17th. I would prefer the 16th, as I don't get a work holiday on the 17th, and I'd like to preserve as much vacation time as possible in anticipation of many extended-weekend roadtrips in the summer.

Does anyone know of any good race shops in town where I could find a good helmet to buy (or are there any places you know of that rent helmets?) Short of that, does anyone know what the better online helmet sources are?

I haven't decided what to do about my brakes yet. I don't mind spending the money on pads and fluid, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to do the work before the track day. If I am able to find the time, I could definitely use some help, as I've never done any brake work before and I would really like to learn from someone who knows what they're doing. If I can't make the time, then I'll either be running on stock pads or I'll be looking for a local shop to do the work. Can anyone recommend a good brake shop in town?

Sorry again for the late response, but I didn't want to commit to anything before I was sure of my schedule. It's still not finalized, but it sounds like people here are getting antsy (which I can't really blame anyone for.) I'm looking forward to hitting the track!

Gary
Old 02-02-2003, 07:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Recommendations

Gary-

Good to hear from you! For helmets, I'd suggest you check out Morten's Motorsports Supply (287-0313) just north of I-70 and Quebec or AAI Speed Equipment (422-3571) in Arvada.

If nothing else, try a few on and see what your helmet size is. Then compare prices online at places like Racers Wholesale or TrueChoice.

As for brakes, I've already ordered Shogun a set of Matrix F pads and suggest you consider calling Cobalt Friction (877-562-9237) and get a set (ask for Andi Lim and tell him I sent you for a discount). If nothing else, let's swap out your DOT 3 brake fluid for some better stuff. As I mentioned before, I'd be happy to help and you just need to schedule some time at the Illusion Motorsports garage (my house) to get it done.

Glad to hear you can make it! We've now got four- any others interested?
Old 02-02-2003, 01:20 PM
paZtoy
Site Sponsor

A day late and and a dollar short-- Again.

hello all, almost missed hooking up with you guys again!

Came home the other weekend ( out driving the Z of course) and my sons friend from nextdoor comes running over and says " did you see at the Z's at the Promenade there must be 6 or 7, all had their hoods up and standing around talking?" So I hop back in the car and headed over, but alas everyone was gone. I waited around and even considered going into Dave & Busters and the Rock Bottom and yelling "where are all the Z-Nuts to see if you were there, but my wife talked me out of it. I left a note on the Pikes Peak White car and asked for the owner to call or E-mail me so that I could hook up with you the next time. As it turned out the car belonged to SHOGUN and he was kind enough to give me a call. During our conversation he had mentioned that you were thinking about putting together a track day somewere but was not sure when.

It's been a long time since I have been on a track and would love to have the chance to run the Z. If your still looking at going on sunday, COUNT ME IN.

E-mail me and I'll give you my phone # so we can keep in touch as I don't always have a chance to read my E-mails in a timely manner.

Hope to see a bunch of you there at the track or any other place you get together.

Rob
Old 02-06-2003, 02:30 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Snowstorms!

As I suspected, as soon as we set a date for the PMI get-together the snow began to fly! We've had almost three straight days of snow this week and more is forecast for next week.

Let's not abandon hope, however. I'll be working out of town next week, but plan to return on Thursday (2/13). I'll be checking with the PMI track manager on Friday and post whether we are a 'GO'. Keep your fingers crossed OR perhaps we could sell this system as a means of guaranteeing snow to all the ski areas!
Old 02-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

We could use the water though.

I'd love to be able to at least rinse my car of with the hose.

Joe
Old 02-06-2003, 06:35 PM
bluz03

Sounds like fun...

I would like to join you guys for a day at the track. I have to say this will be my outing at a real track so any help/lessons would be great! I will try to get a hold of a helmet once the weather clears up a little. Also, what is the drive time to the track itself?

Thanks guys, keep me posted.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Mudd

Sorry about being so late to post. I haven't been on the site in awhile, my travel schedule is just to hectic. I have a laptop with me, but rarely turn it on for some reason.

I obviously would love to join all of you, however the Z is not here yet, and the Maxima has been sold. (Not that the Max would fair to well on the track anyway) However, I am, hoping we can put something like this together again towards the spring/summer time so that I can try my Z out at the track.

I already know for sure that it will see plenty of drag strip time as that is where all my racing experience comes from. If anyone else is interested in some drag strip time let me know as I would be happy to assist anyone wanting the experience. Season doesn't get underway until very late April and lasts through October.

I wish everyone a great time at PMI. If I am in town I will try to make the drive down to watch, however it is looking like I will be in Atlanta during that time.

Later
Old 02-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

Default Meeting location February 16th.

Anybody interested in meeting dkmura and myself at the rest area south of Castle Rock and north of Monument Hill, we will be there between 9:30 and 9:45am.

A 350Z caravan into Pueblo!!??? Perhaps even a BMW or two?

Please post if interested, we may even wait until 9:46 for anybody that's tardy.

Joe
Old 02-08-2003, 03:30 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default In my neighborhood

I'll see you Sunday am at the rest stop. It'll be great to see you guys again.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Shogun
Charter Member #54

We tried to make the rendezvous point as publisher friendly as possible.

Anybody else?

Joe
Old 02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default I'm impressed

WOW

Pray for clear weather...
Old 02-09-2003, 08:33 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Default Directions for those that need them!

Thanks to Shogun for posting on where we should all try to meet on Sunday. Just in case anyone cannot make the rest stop rendezvous next Sunday, here are some general directions to the track:

-Take I-25 south to Pueblo (about 100 mi. from Denver)

-As you are entering the N. side of Pueblo, look for 'Route 50 West' exit and turn R

-Proceed west about 6 miles (past bend in road and railroad bridge) to Pueblo Blvd. Turn L

-Go through first stoplight going south and look to R for signs and entranceway to PMI. Follow signs for 'road course' as it winds up and down hills.

-The paved PMI road should lead you to a fenced area that cordons off the 2.2 mile road course.

If you arrive after the 350Z group has entered, the gate to the track will be closed. Please wait or honk your horn (there aren't any security or track personnel at the gate) and hopefully, someone will be by to let you in. We will be situated near the drag racing tower on the SW corner of the track.

Finally, it would be helpful to have some 'visual aids'- orange traffic cones. If anyone has even two or three, please throw 'em in the trunk and let me know!

Quick Reply: 350Z Colorado track day discussion