Notices
South West Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico

Traveling to Colorado Springs. Need info.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
350Vic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling to Colorado Springs. Need info.

Sorry to make a post about this, but i'll be in Colorado Springs till Wednesday the 23 of this month and was wondering if there is any places someone would recommend visiting. I would also like to visit a couple of meeting spots for driving, sense it fills so nice to drive my 05 base Z in the twisty's up here. No need to disclose any secret hiding spots in fear of me being a Cop. Just a few nice drivable areas with less traffic would be nice. This area is so much nicer for driving than the flat plains of the northen Texas Panhandle. Thx for any info. Vic.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Amarao

He said he's not a cop, therefore he must be one! D:
Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Are u a cop in the Panhandle? I am traveling thru North Texas next month moving my family!

Places to go, hmmm

1. I forget the name but its the Mountain near Golden, Colorado above the Coors Plant, very nice mountain to drive on. Wild Bill Hickok is buried there with his wife, pretty cool site as well up on the Mountain there!

2. Pikes Peak, thats if you want your Z driving on gravel!

3. Its a nice scenic drive from the Springs to Cripple Creek!

4. Nice drive through Garden of the Gods.

Heres a better link of things to do. Enjoy!

http://www.experiencecoloradosprings...WT.mc_id=COS.2

Last edited by zand02max; 08-20-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I just got to the Springs 2 weeks ago (PCS move), so I can't tell you where to go, but I can say that the elevation really kills the power on your G/Z It was a pretty big shock for me.

Still a nice place, though.

Dave
Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

In the CS area... 1.) Garden of the Gods 2.) Seven Falls 3.) Cave of the Winds and that's about all I can think about lol. There's some fun roads going into the mountains but I'm not really familiar with that area at all.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:46 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I'd suggest taking Hwy 115 SW out of town and enjoy a trip to Canon City. They repaved the highway a few years ago and it's a nice, windy 55-65 MPH cruise through the foothills. Then you can either turn east on Highway 50 and head back through Pueblo or make it a all-day trip by going west through Teller County.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going east on Wwy 50 kinda sucks, IMO. The drive to Pueblo blows, cuz, well.. you're going to Pueblo. On Hwy 50, you should go west young man, once you get to Canon City (if you're a cop you might like it cuz there's five prison's there) keep going and don't pick up hitchikers. Get to a little road that takes you to Guffey, CO called county 9. It's smokin' beautiful right noe due to all the rain, and is rarely travelled. It has great twists and awesome scenery. Take it to Guffey and you'll be on county 59. This will take you up to Eleven Mile Reservoir the back way, and it's very beautiful country up there. Head home on Hwy 24 at Eleven Mile, and if you want a detour home, go south off of Hwy 24 on county 1. The turn off is at Florissant, and that's pretty country. You can stop at the fossil beds Natl Monument, and keep going through to Mueller state park, Dome Rock, and on to Cripple Creek. From Cripple Creek, take 67 back north to Divide, and then Hwy 24 back home. The views will be awesome this whole treck so bring a camera, be safe, and enjoy the drive!
Will
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Nice description Will. Sounds like you know it well enough and it would make a nice mountain drive for anyone! BTW- Personally I like highway 50 because it takes me right by PMI! LOL
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
I just got to the Springs 2 weeks ago (PCS move), so I can't tell you where to go, but I can say that the elevation really kills the power on your G/Z It was a pretty big shock for me.

Still a nice place, though.

Dave
Yep I am glad I am moving to TX next month, zero elevation!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:20 PM
350Vic

Thx alot for the info. Anytime i've read post about looking for spots to drive, the question of is he a cop always comes up. Its aight, thats why i said just nice drives. Thanks again for the info. By the way, Pikes Peak was excellent, and it killed me to drive my Z on the gravel spots. Not to bad though. The asphalt made up for it .
Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
Going east on Wwy 50 kinda sucks, IMO. The drive to Pueblo blows, cuz, well.. you're going to Pueblo. On Hwy 50, you should go west young man, once you get to Canon City (if you're a cop you might like it cuz there's five prison's there) keep going and don't pick up hitchikers. Get to a little road that takes you to Guffey, CO called county 9. It's smokin' beautiful right noe due to all the rain, and is rarely travelled. It has great twists and awesome scenery. Take it to Guffey and you'll be on county 59. This will take you up to Eleven Mile Reservoir the back way, and it's very beautiful country up there. Head home on Hwy 24 at Eleven Mile, and if you want a detour home, go south off of Hwy 24 on county 1. The turn off is at Florissant, and that's pretty country. You can stop at the fossil beds Natl Monument, and keep going through to Mueller state park, Dome Rock, and on to Cripple Creek. From Cripple Creek, take 67 back north to Divide, and then Hwy 24 back home. The views will be awesome this whole treck so bring a camera, be safe, and enjoy the drive!
Will
Looks like Will set-up the cruise for my return!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:30 PM
jgray

I ran the route Will describes twice recently, only in reverse. I though about hosting that drive, but I didn't think you folks in Denver would come down. Will is right though, the landscape is beautiful; the road less traveled; twisty as all get out. Although you should be aware that the road surface changes about 8 times (everything from ultra rough and occasional dirt wash, to brand new asphalt) and there's a bunch of cattle guards too (never seen cows out there though). The route I usually take is:

I25 to Hwy 24 West
South on Teller County 1 (AKA Cripple Creek - Florissant Rd)
Right on Road S
Left at the "T" to High Park Road
Left at County 9
Left at Hwy 50
Exit North on 115 and head home...

I'd be up for this drive and would co-host if there's interest.

Joel
Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zand02max
Places to go, hmmm

1. I forget the name but its the Mountain near Golden, Colorado above the Coors Plant, very nice mountain to drive on. Wild Bill Hickok is buried there with his wife, pretty cool site as well up on the Mountain there!
Lookout Mountain? I agree, it is a fun drive. Short, but fun, especially on the other side of the grave site.