Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

April Canyon Run Re-Visited

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 10:32 AM
kamz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i am a dumb#ss. woke up late and got stuck on the 405 cause of some accident. got to the valley around 10 and did the run on my own but didn't make it all the way to neptunes. too bad, would have like to have met everyone.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Grey Matter

Good to see all the regulars and meet some new people. We had a car go into the hill on a turn, suffer some front end damage and needed a tow, but no one was hurt. I had to leave early so did not get to finish the run or lunch. Hope the rest of the drive was safe. Funny thing is with all the hype about police enforcement on the canyon roads, I did not see one car on the portion of the drive that I did.
Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails April Canyon Run Re-Visited-cimg3052.jpg   April Canyon Run Re-Visited-cimg3053.jpg   April Canyon Run Re-Visited-cimg3054.jpg   April Canyon Run Re-Visited-cimg3055.jpg  
Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was fun! It was good to see old faces and new ones.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I just got back. I'm exhausted. Really sorry about Vince's slide. And, the poor good samaritan who stuck by him to deal with the tow. Last time something happened like this, there were only 4 or 5 of us. We could all stick around. This time with 15+ Zs and with people having plans, we couldn't all stay. On top of this Odee had a slide in gravel. We stopped by Tires Buy Mark to get gravel out from between his rubber and Volks. And, we lost Tom Jones. And, Iris scrapped her front bumper. Man.

I took lead pretty fast but I didn't expect as many problems. Next time, maybe I should break it down into the front group and the middle to back group like past runs. I'd lead the middle to end group and the fast group would go ahead without any problems and we'd usually be just fine.

Ah well, hopefully next time we wont have some many incidents or problems. And, I hope most of you still had a fun time.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Ah well, hopefully next time we wont have some many incidents or problems. And, I hope most of you still had a fun time.
Ouch Dan that was not a good run...Wow anyone got tickets and how was the drive? Where there any troppers in the area....
Old 04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
SHO-TIME

I knew about Vince sliding off and Tom disappearing but I didn't know we had other incidents.... Are Iris and Mark okay?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
hfm

No tickets, no cops, the drive was excellent. Iris is fine. Mark, I dunno. Vince dropped off his car at Thousand Oaks Nissan. He'll post pics.

Well, best part was being able to see old faces and some new ones. Next time, I think we need to tone it down a notch. I feel bad there were so many incidents. I forgot to remind everyone to keep their distance from the car in front of them and to remind everyone to keep it safe. We were more focused about cops.

I also forgot to mention that many of us have upgraded wheels, suspension and tires and can take turns quicker than a stock Z. That kind of thing can mess someone up if they try to keep up with a modded Z and think, hey, if he can do it, so can I - but doesn't have the same equipment. Next time, I should print out a list of things to remind people.

I think the next one will be a more leisurely freeway drive to Santa Barbara where we can go back to the Brown Pelican. Maybe in June.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:11 PM
hfm

Duane, could you please wipe the license plate in that one pic with the car in front of you?
Old 04-30-2005, 03:26 PM
SHO-TIME

Incidents are bound to happen. Everyone needs to acknowledge that they are doing this run at their own risk... and do not follow too close! If you are driving at an uncomfortable speed, let the others pass you and fall back. These are pretty common sense and I don't think we need to be reminded everytime we do a run. Also, everyone needs to know their own cars limits. And Dan, don't think this is your fault. cuz it isn't. With that said, I am glad no one was seriously hurt. Like you said though, it may be a good idea to break up the groups to modded' (faster) in the front leading the pack and non-modded (slower) to the back.

-ps, one thing we could've done better may be for everyone to bring out their friggin FRS radios. W/o them, it's hard to keep in touch.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:36 PM
zman23

Great time! guys and gals! Too bad for the incidents but I really think there was way too much debris since the last time I was up there. One little slip in the debris and bad things happen! Believe me!
yea agree with Sho, more FRS radios would've been nice so we can keep track of everyone and or happenings up front or rear of pack.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Grey Matter

Originally Posted by hfm
Duane, could you please wipe the license plate in that one pic with the car in front of you?
Sorry about that. I wiped out the plate and uploaded it again. If it did not work how do you delete or change attachments? Can a Moderator remove it?
Attached Thumbnails April Canyon Run Re-Visited-cimg3052.jpg  

Last edited by Grey Matter; 04-30-2005 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Changed picture
Old 04-30-2005, 05:07 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Dan...thanks for putting this ride together

Wish there weren't any bad things to discuss but things like this do happen. Folks need to get out on their own and learn the limits of their cars. Even with that, road conditions change and s... happens. Having seperate groups for slower drivers is a good idea. We do it with our Harleys all the time. Problem is people are afraid to admit they would like to go slow and enjoy the scenery. There is no shame in that. I do it all the time.

The important thing is that nobody was hurt. Just some bruised egos I'm sure but those will heal.

All in all it was a great course and well thought out. Thanks again. It was great seeing everyone again.

By the way...who was it that wanted to sell me their wheels? PM me
Old 04-30-2005, 05:21 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

ive got a couple pictures, ill post them up soon, good to see everyone again
Old 04-30-2005, 05:27 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Some Pics
Attached Thumbnails April Canyon Run Re-Visited-dsc01427.jpg   April Canyon Run Re-Visited-dsc01428.jpg   April Canyon Run Re-Visited-dsc01429.jpg  
Old 04-30-2005, 05:34 PM
GWAPITO69

me want to go again i miss the last part cause i have to stay with Vince till the tow truck arrived. we waited almost 3hours maybe next time we need to bring a mechanic when we do a run or know your car's limit felt good to help someone but felt bad that i did not finish the run... I hope that there will be another run...
Old 04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
DRFT_Z33

Originally Posted by AudioPat
Dan...thanks for putting this ride together
The important thing is that nobody was hurt. Just some bruised egos I'm sure but those will heal.
+1 for nobody getting hurt.

I definetly enjoyed the drive, but now I want to track my car even more than before.

For everyone who had to bail after neptune... I gotta say you guys missed out on (my opinion) the most fun section of the run. Latiga is an awesome road.

Also that was my first time through a canyon with my springs, wheels and tires. I was very impressed with how much better the car holds the road.

Definetly the most fun 90 miles I've put on my car so far.

Last edited by DRFT_Z33; 04-30-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by GWAPITO69
I hope that there will be another run...
Man, that was very stand up of you to stay and help. Very cool of you. There will definitely be another run, and shrimps on me when we get to Neptune's.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:31 PM
greddy13

Hey Dan, it's O.D. thanx for taking me to that tire shop. my volks really ate up the gravel, but the wheel is fine....just need to fix minor scratches. It reminded me when i go-kart race & eat up the gravel when i make sharp turns. other than the 'lil mishaps, the canyon run was fun.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
iris

Gwapito, it was awesome of you to stay and help Vince. Good karma, what goes around comes around....

Great to see old faces and put new faces to names. Matt/Drift_Z33, thanks for the CD's!! I really appreciated it!

My car's really fine, it actually already had a scrape on the bumper (put there by the dealer not me), so it's only a matter of time before I have to replace it anyway.

I'm so happy people stayed safe. I thought about the whole "stock trying to stay up with modded cars" thing afterward (since I am stock). Oh well, lessons for next time.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by iris
Gwapito, it was awesome of you to stay and help Vince. Good karma, what goes around comes around....

Great to see old faces and put new faces to names. Matt/Drift_Z33, thanks for the CD's!! I really appreciated it!

My car's really fine, it actually already had a scrape on the bumper (put there by the dealer not me), so it's only a matter of time before I have to replace it anyway.

I'm so happy people stayed safe. I thought about the whole "stock trying to stay up with modded cars" thing afterward (since I am stock). Oh well, lessons for next time.

mod your car!

Quick Reply: April Canyon Run Re-Visited