Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

April Canyon Run gone WRONG!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Risk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vkzawa
Thanks all for caring so much. Just a lil update. My Z now starts. It turned out to be something to do with a fuse. I don't know what the fuse was too yet. I will find out tomorrow morning when I pick it up, I will then post more details.

As far as pics. I didn't snapa a pic of every car there, so I don't have any other pics of the ppw, but here is the pic at full res with just the ppw cropped out.

I certainly hope that wasnt what you were aiming for.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

that *** is so sexy, post it on Zchicks and see what they say!
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Phatmitzu

LOL...
Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 AM
vkzawa

Originally Posted by Risk
I certainly hope that wasnt what you were aiming for.
Haha no. If you didn't notice, that is a zoomed in pic of the shot in my first post. I definitely wasn't aiming.

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
btw next time someones z doesnt start, we check the fuses
Yes it turns out they had to replace the "BCM Fuse". Don't ask where the fuse is located, I have no idea.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:07 PM
AznIceRckt

Originally Posted by vkzawa
So I went on the Canyon Run this weekend. Was loads of fun. I was able to pull 1.18 G's on some of the great twisties. How do I know? My headunit shows me lateral G's, and my passenger was closely watching my top G's on some of the cornering. Here are a few pics of the lineup of cars on the road.

In front of me:

Behind me:

And here is a nice shot of a small break we had after the first set of twisties.

And another angle with my clean Z in there.

Some scenery:

Time to leave follow the leader:

With 17 Z's cruising through the canyon highway we were drawing plenty of attention. The weather was great and the views were even better. As a Z owner of about 2 weeks I was just getting confident driving the Z. I felt I knew most of its limits as I had been driving it, alot. In those first 2 weeks I have gone through 4 tanks of gas. So I am feeling good. I had pulled almost 1.2 G's and didn't get any screeching at all. Now comes the real reason for the post. There was a turn a few miles into the second set of twisties that really threw me off. It was a really tricky curve and I didn't take it sharp enough. Had there been an open sholder on the road I wouldn't need to post about this, but since there was a dirt bank right to the side, I took a little damage. I ran right at some shrub, ran over it, then took the dirt bank like I was Tony Hawk going up the side of a half-pipe. I rode up 'till about half my car was on the bank, then came back down and my engine had stalled.

Ok, so now here are some pics of my mistake.

Thanks so much to everyone who went on the run, they all stopped to help out. The biggest thanks goes out the Gwapito. I hope karma gives back good too you. Anytime I can offer you some help I am there for you. He helped me by using his AAA to get me towed to a dealership, and sticking by me for a few hours. Very sorry you didn't get to finish the run, but THANK YOU so much. With just a cracked piece out of the front bumper and a cracked open washer fluid resevoir we couldn't start my car. It came down to what we think is the impact of the shrub I hit made the computer think I was in a crash, so it shut off my fuel pump as a safety measure.

So I couldn't start my car and had to wait for a tow truck. So my Z is waiting there for the time being untill the nice people there can reset her and give her a makeover.

Ironically I was already looking for a front bumper replacement. I'm loving the Vertex, but haven't found a retailer, and may currently be too expensive, so in the interim am looking at the Nismo replica front bumper in carbon fiber. Any sources would be great.

Thanks for reading. No sympathy please. This was a minor dent in all the fun I had leading up to this. I will be out on the canyon roads again as soon as I can.

no offense but you are a moron (for running in the canyons with several people, esp. 17 z's). too bad your car didn't get totalled so i won't ever have to see you on the road. theres a place for driving fast... um... the track?

besides, 350'z are SLOW in the touge. heavy and too big. i'll take most street Z's in a 150hp mini in the downhill.

and using your head-unit-whatever-gadget to measure G's? there had better be several hardwired accelerometers all throughout your car for an accurate reading. not to mention, i hope you aren't comparing G's to road&track or motor trend G forces, because those are on a completely flat (zero camber) surface with a controlled radius. just because you "think" you are pulling 1.2 G's in the canyon (which you ARE NOT), it doesn't mean you will pull 1.2 on a skidpad and outgrip a Z06 or viper. not happening.

keep it on the track.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
DRFT_Z33

Originally Posted by AznIceRckt
no offense but you are a moron (for running in the canyons with several people, esp. 17 z's). too bad your car didn't get totalled so i won't ever have to see you on the road. theres a place for driving fast... um... the track?

besides, 350'z are SLOW in the touge. heavy and too big. i'll take most street Z's in a 150hp mini in the downhill.

and using your head-unit-whatever-gadget to measure G's? there had better be several hardwired accelerometers all throughout your car for an accurate reading. not to mention, i hope you aren't comparing G's to road&track or motor trend G forces, because those are on a completely flat (zero camber) surface with a controlled radius. just because you "think" you are pulling 1.2 G's in the canyon (which you ARE NOT), it doesn't mean you will pull 1.2 on a skidpad and outgrip a Z06 or viper. not happening.

keep it on the track.
Ok Mr. Magazine racer... FIRST next time you quote something delete the IMG tags from the quote so you dont waste room on the thread.
B. STFU he made a mistake it happens to all of us at one time or another and he doesn't need your BS. At least he has a good attitude about it... he will probably learn a good lesson THANKFULLY he wasn't injured and his car wasn't totaled... why don't you migrate to a forum where your A$$HOLE remarks and stupidity are welcome !!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i was amuzed that he said the Z was slow on the touge...
after talking down on someone for NOT taking it to the track.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:14 PM
DRFT_Z33

it doesn't mean you will pull 1.2 on a skidpad and outgrip a Z06 or viper. not happening.

keep it on the track.
Since you have such an affinity for skidpads and magazine articles here is one from Sport Compact Car. Thier Z pulls 1.0g both directions on the skid pad with a virtually STOCK suspension

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
LINK
Old 05-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Risk

Originally Posted by DRFT_Z33
Ok Mr. Magazine racer... FIRST next time you quote something delete the IMG tags from the quote so you dont waste room on the thread.
B. STFU he made a mistake it happens to all of us at one time or another and he doesn't need your BS. At least he has a good attitude about it... he will probably learn a good lesson THANKFULLY he wasn't injured and his car wasn't totaled... why don't you migrate to a forum where your A$$HOLE remarks and stupidity are welcome !!!!!!!!
+1....I was thinking of tearing into this guy also, but was too tired last night. My comments at that time probably wouldve been presented as poorly as his are.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you've never had any accidents on the road:

Tear... =(

my sedan is in the shop too... but she's coming back with a nismo bumper... courtesy of the muthafu*& who hit me and my insurance company... no more rock chips either, or original paint (trade off i guess)...
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16140

Right. Phil, I had no idea you had such a low opinion of Zs. I guess the power of your G35 is overwhelming:

so what on earth are we doing wrong ted?

i have a 03 5at sedan running very similar engine mods that should put out similar power... the best i could run was 15.2 @ 96.5mph.

blitz intake / z tube / 350evo tb / crawford v.5 / xerd long-tube headers / jic y-pipe / greddy evo / unorthodox crank / ts ecu / grounding wires...

i'm pulling good trap speeds but bad e.t.s and horrible 60's. i think the 19's really weigh my car down on the launch. anyone have any idea how much a torque convertor will help?

-phil

i think the rotational weight of our 19's are bogging our launches hard. even though they might be lighter then stock, the weight is concentrated on the barrel (as opposed to the rim, i.e. the spokes)

-phil
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...482#post311482

keep it on the track.
You know for a twenty-one year old youth, you have quite a number of opinions. I don't know whether it's your University of Spoiled Children attitude that I don't like or the fact that you've been to meets and know people like Clint and Gurgen that we know and yet you post this kind of crap about a fellow enthusiast.

Why don't you think a little more before you start criticizing someone else you've never met because let me tell you, your ******** stinks just as much as the next jerkoff.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 AM
iris

Haha, pwned. What a jerk.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

so its ok to drift in the rain? but not to go on a canyon run, a relaxed one at that?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

LMFAO. I normally don't say it, but I think someone got owned here.

Immaturity is rearing its ugly head, and it's really obvious that AznIceRckt doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:53 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dan owned you.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:47 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

dan is the man
Old 05-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Risk

owned
Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
Dan owned you.
Oops..

LOL...
Old 05-06-2005, 07:16 PM
AznIceRckt

Talking

Originally Posted by hfm
Yeah, you've never had any accidents on the road:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16140

Right. Phil, I had no idea you had such a low opinion of Zs. I guess the power of your G35 is overwhelming:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthre...482#post311482

You know for a twenty-one year old youth, you have quite a number of opinions. I don't know whether it's your University of Spoiled Children attitude that I don't like or the fact that you've been to meets and know people like Clint and Gurgen that we know and yet you post this kind of crap about a fellow enthusiast.

Why don't you think a little more before you start criticizing someone else you've never met because let me tell you, your ******** stinks just as much as the next jerkoff.

some of you guys have sticks up ur asses. so, lets see. someone hitting me on the street does not equal self-induced canyon run damage. i think its hilarious every time i see any street car that is damaged from street racing or canyon runs. i see enough canyon runs on video to know that the 350z is slow there (slow... think, relative, faster then a civic, probably yes, slower then most popular canyon cars... evos, minis, mr2s, miatas, also yes.).

and since when do i drift in the rain? how do you drift a car with an open differential? carefully? and knocking on my education? how lame are you. too bad i earned a full-ride scholarship which therefore afforded me my g35 from my previously saved money. my parents don't even live in this country.

and, i never said my car was powerful, or fast, or anything. i simply have fun with it. and since when am i 21?

i by no means have low opinions of the Z... theres a lot of places a lot of cars are slow. i suppose a better way of saying, 'Z's are slow in the touge', would be... Z's don't shine in the touge, unless you consider mulholland a touge... they do shine in almost all road courses, with great overall balance.

i think its funny that i get dogged on for lecturing someone on canyon-running. i hope all of you who canyon run total your cars trying to outrun 160hp minis and 190hp elises.

okay, the SCC car article? the first time i read that was a long time ago. the springs and shocks are stock, so if you say the suspension is virtually stock... haha, what about the kaaz LSD, with the lockup set perfectly for the car, hotchkis sways, 275 width tires front and rear. umm, thats not stock.

and being fast in the canyons is NOT about grip or power, try... proper dampening for the road surface, enough suspension travel, and good brakes. oh yes, and light weight. and as for pulling 1.2 G's in the canyon... haha. anyone who drives that close to the limit, especially in u.s. canyon roads, is asking to die. we have no guardrails on most our roads, not to mention unaware and unready bystanding and passing traffic which are usually quite surprised to see a car drifting, a**-draggin, or simply flying around a corner.

and... i got 'owned'? i suppose that means someone was bored enough to go look up all my old comments. do you even have a job?

and... 'risk'... thinking of "tearing into" me? i don't even know who on earth you are. come tear into me at buttonwillow this sunday if you are so feisty. do you even have a helmet? haha.

phil

Last edited by AznIceRckt; 05-06-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:53 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

no one said anything about YOU drifting in the rain, but a g35 crashed drifting in the rain and you offered condolences, a 350z crashed on a canyon run, and you ripped into them, THAT is what everyone is talking about.

did you just compare a mini and an elise?

did you just say grip isnt important? my god, tires are one of the most important things no matter what you do in a car especially grip in this case, do you just park at the top of a mountain and watch people, or do you actually try driving your car?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:12 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, lets see. someone hitting me on the street does not equal self-induced canyon run damage.
phil
I had a feeling you might say that. Let's look at your post closer.

my sedan is in the shop too... but she's coming back with a nismo bumper... courtesy of the muthafu*& who hit me and my insurance company... no more rock chips either, or original paint (trade off i guess)...
No more rock chips = front bumper.

Front bumber is one of three possibilities: 1) you rear ended someone, 2) someone backed into you, pretty unlikely or 3) someone hit you head on, in which case you'd be replacing more than a bumper cover.

No, I think I'm going with #1. You rear ended someone. It's one thing to damage one's own car during a canyon run and have a good attitude about it, it's another thing to smack your car and someone elses.

i think its funny that i get dogged on for lecturing someone on canyon-running. i hope all of you who canyon run total your cars trying to outrun 160hp minis and 190hp elises.
You didn't just get "dogged on" for lecturing someone on canyon-running. I'll spell out why your opinion is unwelcome:

1) You're in no position to lecture anyone,
2) You're in no position to insult anyone,
3) You're in no position to attack our cars,
4) You're in no position to wish us bad luck,
5) You're in no position to do all of the above while we're around.

We're simply not going to let some little punk twit like you do that. Oh, and one more thing, someone needs to tell USC that they need a refund on their scholarship. Either that, or you need some serious time with tutor to learn capitalization, punctuation and grammar.

Quick Reply: April Canyon Run gone WRONG!