Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

April Canyon Run gone WRONG!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:53 PM
vkzawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April Canyon Run gone WRONG!

So I went on the Canyon Run this weekend. Was loads of fun. I was able to pull 1.18 G's on some of the great twisties. How do I know? My headunit shows me lateral G's, and my passenger was closely watching my top G's on some of the cornering. Here are a few pics of the lineup of cars on the road.

In front of me:

Behind me:

And here is a nice shot of a small break we had after the first set of twisties.

And another angle with my clean Z in there.

Some scenery:

Time to leave follow the leader:

With 17 Z's cruising through the canyon highway we were drawing plenty of attention. The weather was great and the views were even better. As a Z owner of about 2 weeks I was just getting confident driving the Z. I felt I knew most of its limits as I had been driving it, alot. In those first 2 weeks I have gone through 4 tanks of gas. So I am feeling good. I had pulled almost 1.2 G's and didn't get any screeching at all. Now comes the real reason for the post. There was a turn a few miles into the second set of twisties that really threw me off. It was a really tricky curve and I didn't take it sharp enough. Had there been an open sholder on the road I wouldn't need to post about this, but since there was a dirt bank right to the side, I took a little damage. I ran right at some shrub, ran over it, then took the dirt bank like I was Tony Hawk going up the side of a half-pipe. I rode up 'till about half my car was on the bank, then came back down and my engine had stalled.

Ok, so now here are some pics of my mistake.

Thanks so much to everyone who went on the run, they all stopped to help out. The biggest thanks goes out the Gwapito. I hope karma gives back good too you. Anytime I can offer you some help I am there for you. He helped me by using his AAA to get me towed to a dealership, and sticking by me for a few hours. Very sorry you didn't get to finish the run, but THANK YOU so much. With just a cracked piece out of the front bumper and a cracked open washer fluid resevoir we couldn't start my car. It came down to what we think is the impact of the shrub I hit made the computer think I was in a crash, so it shut off my fuel pump as a safety measure.

So I couldn't start my car and had to wait for a tow truck. So my Z is waiting there for the time being untill the nice people there can reset her and give her a makeover.

Ironically I was already looking for a front bumper replacement. I'm loving the Vertex, but haven't found a retailer, and may currently be too expensive, so in the interim am looking at the Nismo replica front bumper in carbon fiber. Any sources would be great.

Thanks for reading. No sympathy please. This was a minor dent in all the fun I had leading up to this. I will be out on the canyon roads again as soon as I can.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:07 AM
dan-14

hope everything works out for you

Last edited by dan-14; 05-02-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:28 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

(I know you said you don't want it, but...) sorry that the meet turned out like this, but glad that you're all in one piece. I've had my close calls out here during NorCal meets... Man, I gotta get down to SoCal some time to see some of this action...

And if you could find a source, a TK front bumper would also be a good choice for a replacement front end
Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 AM
The Liu Man

Awesome pics! Maybe you might wanna edit out the license plate on the first pic..

Damn, I'm DEFINITELY making it out next time. We should get one going next month!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Vince. Glad to know you are fine... the best thing is that you didn't get hurt. Like you said, you can easily replace your front bumper. I hope this incident doesn't discourage you.... and come out when your car and you are ready again!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 AM
iris

Vince, what a great attitude you have. We were talking about you at NN and hoping you weren't too bummed about the whole thing (esp'lly since I didn't know your Z was *that* new). Glad to see you still had a good time before that.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:31 AM
julian

sorry to be a downer but consider it a lesson. take it to the track instead of a public road. especially when i see a cyclist in one of your pics and you guys are driving fast on those blind corners.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 AM
arodbrs

Default good spirits

well ur ok and in good spirits if u want a replica nismo front bumper in c.f. from vis racing online.................hope u had fun b 4 the accident though
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
vkzawa

OMG did I ever have fun. I look back at Saturday and smile. It was great. I will look into that c.f. nismo bumper, thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by julian
sorry to be a downer but consider it a lesson. take it to the track instead of a public road. especially when i see a cyclist in one of your pics and you guys are driving fast on those blind corners.

I do both(track and canyons), we gave the cyclists plenty of room and generally took it easy, I had the AC on the whole time with some chill music.

eh, fie on fitness.

Last edited by ihatethatbobbarker; 05-02-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 AM
vkzawa

OMG did I ever have fun. I look back at Saturday and smile. It was great. I will look into that c.f. nismo bumper, thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Risk

Originally Posted by julian

Go away.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
mrtomcat

sorry to hear and see that, glad you're ok.
That brought back memories when my brand new Z got totalled in the heavy rain hitting a puddle and going hydroplaning into the center dividing wall on the freeway at 50 mph.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:43 PM
vkzawa

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
sorry to hear and see that, glad you're ok.
That brought back memories when my brand new Z got totalled in the heavy rain hitting a puddle and going hydroplaning into the center dividing wall on the freeway at 50 mph.
Ouch.

Well looks like my little misfortune has turned around. Roy, a member of the 350zmotoring forum replied to my duplicate post on that forum with some suggestions for a vertex front bumper I wanted. So it looks like what was a bad thing has forced me to buy my 'dream bumper' for my Z. Like I had said earlier, I have been in the market for a new front bumper looks like I may be getting it sooner than I though. And this one is made of a flexible fiberglass polymer. YAY!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Phatmitzu

Man, sorry to hear that. Good thing no one got hurt...look at the bright side, at least your wheels are okay!

off topic...
Ihatethatbobbarker, your ride looks saweet! Love those works wheels. For some reason, they look even better than the last time I saw them. Did you lowered your car?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

been lowered almost as long as ive had it, zeal function v6, thanks for the compliment though, us white Zs haveto stick together
Old 05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
ProfessorKan

sorry about your car. hope it's getting better.

would it be too much trouble for you to post some more pics of the PPW z with black rims?

thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 08:39 PM
vkzawa

Thanks all for caring so much. Just a lil update. My Z now starts. It turned out to be something to do with a fuse. I don't know what the fuse was too yet. I will find out tomorrow morning when I pick it up, I will then post more details.

As far as pics. I didn't snapa a pic of every car there, so I don't have any other pics of the ppw, but here is the pic at full res with just the ppw cropped out.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
AmyCroft

Default IhateThatBobBarker's Wallet - and Throttle

Originally Posted by vkzawa
Thanks all for caring so much. Just a lil update. My Z now starts. It turned out to be something to do with a fuse. I don't know what the fuse was too yet. I will find out tomorrow morning when I pick it up, I will then post more details.

As far as pics. I didn't snapa a pic of every car there, so I don't have any other pics of the ppw, but here is the pic at full res with just the ppw cropped out.

These young guy's wear thier pant's so low, that the wallet is giving a pinch
on the nerve's of the leg that control's the throttle.
That explains a lot about the way they drive... Ha !

Cheers Amy -
Old 05-02-2005, 08:56 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by AmyCroft
These young guy's wear thier pant's so low, that the wallet is giving a pinch
on the nerve's of the leg that control's the throttle.
That explains a lot about the way they drive... Ha !

Cheers Amy -
if i wear it higher ive got this huge mass poking my ***, and thats something i dont want to get into here :P

btw next time someones z doesnt start, we check the fuses

Quick Reply: April Canyon Run gone WRONG!