Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Interesting Spot - Las Flores Cyn - Scary Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interesting Spot - Las Flores Cyn - Scary Ride

So, last night my neighbor in the modded blue WRX takes me somewhere up Las Flores Canyon, off some road that seems impossible to pronounce ("Schueren" or something of that sort.)

First of all, those Subie's have some insane grip... I was sure he was going to lose control once or twice, but there was barely any tire squeal whatsoever. And he doesn't even have sways or strut tower bars, just some semi-slicks and the stock AWD. We were up there with a couple other WRX owners, but it seemed to be quite the hangout for all sorts of car guys... I met a guy with an 04 Liquid Aluminum Touring 5AT, and there were some random VTEC owners, etc.

In any case, it was a pretty nice spot! You could look out over The Valley (Thousand Oaks), Los Angeles, Burbank, etc. I mean, I was somewhat disoriented but it is a pretty nice viewpoint of the greater LA area.

My neighbor was telling me about how the last time these guys were up there, they did a downhill run and he pretty much fried his brakes and almost lost it because they ran into a beat up old road after missing the turnoff to Las Flores Cyn Road. Well, I am pretty glad that I wasn't in his car for that. This time, we just cruised to the bottom and then did an uphill run.

I was feeling pretty motion sick after the run, and like I said, I was pretty fukn scared on some of the "you might fly off a cliff if you **** up" turns (especially after he informed me that his brakes might not be in the best shape...) but I felt fine on the "you might slam into the mountainside if you **** up" turns. At first, I folded my arms to get out of the way of his shifting. Then, I realized I was clutching myself rather tightly, hands shaking somewhat. It was fun, but way too nerve wracking! I don't wanna die from flying off a canyon road!

So when we got to the top of the hill, the Subie guys popped their hoods, and their turbos were glowing red hot! Is this normal?? I know they're made out of pretty thick metal, but it just seemed a little bit abnormal for them to glow like that. I know that the air gets pretty hot when it's compressed, but it seemed a little extreme to see a glowing turbo.

Basically, I don't ever want to be a passenger on one of these runs again!! It was pretty scary!

I'm thinking about taking the Z up there tonight and having a go. I'm not what you call a pro at driving yet, so I think I'll just hang out in the back of the pack if these guys show up again.

If anyone cares to join, or go check this spot out sometime soon (maybe tonight), send me a PM and we can hook up and show off some Z's. Beware VTEC owners on the drive up there.

Last edited by Z2000Maximaguy; 07-06-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

P.S. All this action made me feel like test driving the STi! I really think any Z would have had trouble keeping up unless you have mad driving skill and a nice set of tires / possibly coilovers.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schueren. We've taken that road a few times along with Stunt Road and Piuma Road. Acutally, we've pretty much done most of the Santa Monica mountain area. There are some locations where you literally can lose it big time over a cliff so it's wise to be safe. And, recognize that R compound or "semi-slicks" make a huge difference. You might not be able to keep up with a car with that kind of traction and trying to follow one under those conditions can be dangerous.

We'll probably cover the same area on our August run.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Yeah, I just want to hang out in the back of the group and take it easy... trust me, my scaredness will not allow me to do anything too dangerous.

Keep in mind that of the other 2 subies (sedan and wagon) one had stock tires with a rear sway bar, and the other had some aftermarket performance tires (not semi slicks though). All 3 of the guys were moving as a pack, they didn't really have trouble keeping up with each other. I think the AWD makes a huge difference. I know the Z would've been toast on a couple of those turns, whereas my neighbor's WRX could've done even better with a decent RSB, FSTB, and RSTB.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
kamz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you get there? I'd like to check it out, if nothing else, but for the view.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
VQ35DEV6

Did you look over to see at what speed they were going at? and was he pushing 3rd gear or 2nd? Even if you are going around 20-30, those turns seem real fast. I've been through a few canyons, but I do have bridgestone s03's on my gt-c's and tien flex coilovers. Don't push your car too hard on those runs, you never know where a car might be stopped or what not, just play it safe but have fun while your doing it.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Actually it turns out I can't make it there tonight...

but here's a couple of maps...

Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by VQ35DEV6
Did you look over to see at what speed they were going at? and was he pushing 3rd gear or 2nd? Even if you are going around 20-30, those turns seem real fast. I've been through a few canyons, but I do have bridgestone s03's on my gt-c's and tien flex coilovers. Don't push your car too hard on those runs, you never know where a car might be stopped or what not, just play it safe but have fun while your doing it.
I looked over and saw that on a couple of the "25 mph" turns he was doing at least 40. There were a few turns that had no signs posted I believe, but he had to go about 25-30.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:05 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Kamz let me know when you head out. I did some exploring monday morning and my navigator got very confused when I went up to the Topanga village homes.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:39 PM
heezyo2o

Being the driver and having control makes all the difference. As a passenger, it can get nerve racking at times.

I'm down for a run. Definately have to do at least a small one before the august meet. Be a dear and set it up, would ya.

Though if it's anytime soon, I might bring the 5er sedan as the Z isn't broken in yet. If we end up meeting, you'd be suprised at how well the big car moves.