Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

May be moving to LA, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 AM
battles2a5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May be moving to LA, need advice...

I may be getting transferred to LA temporarily and I need help figuring out where to look for a place to live. I will be working in Torrance, and I would like to live somewhat close to limit my commute. I would also like to live close to or on the beach. I was thinking Hermosa Beach, but it seems pretty small. How is long beach? What are some of the better areas? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

... and last of all, how the hell do I get my Z out there??

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:59 PM
RashMan14

I am from L.A. but as for those areas you mentioned, i have driving by them and i dont know anywhere to say, so sorry i cant help you there.

As for getting your car here to L.A. you have 2 options.

1. Drive it out here
2. Get it shipped out here. There are alot of companies that ship cars across the country. You just have to find one that YOU think you would be comfortable with.

just search it on google or yahoo. I had my car shipped out to Boston when i was there for 3 months. Cost me like 2000 dollars
Old 09-10-2005, 04:45 PM
SoFla350z

Theres an apartment complex on Redondo Beach Pier called The Village . My aunt lived there for a year. It is pretty nice, but expensive. 1850+ a month for a small 1br if I recall correctly. Also check out westsiderentals.com, you have to pay for it but they always have lots of listings for houses and condos for rent.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:42 PM
GWAPITO69

rendondo manhattan beach are pretty expensive place to stay temp. you can try san pedro it's close to torrance or you can stay in torrance also it's only few minutes away from the beach
Old 09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come out to the monthly hooters meets!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 AM
DeniseM3

Torrance and San Pedro are a bit farther from the beach but still pretty close, and definitely more affordable. Long Beach is a fun place, but the beach is not as nice because of the oil riggs and engineering stuff that goes on out there. Playa Del Rey (20 min. drive from LB) is a smaller beach community but it is more secluded and less crowded. Marina Del Rey (25 min. drive from LB) is GREAT, but very expensive. I would say Redondo or Hermosa or Manhattan Beach would be the nicest place to live and the closest to LB, but it's pretty crowded...age population of people living there is mainly in their 20's and 30's. Also, Seal Beach is very close and it's just south of Long Beach...it's a really nice community. I want to live in Playa Del Rey or Seal Beach.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:44 AM
DeniseM3

Yeah, just drive your Z over. It would be a fun 3 day road trip.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 AM
battles2a5

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll keep you posted on the move. I should start commuting there in early Oct, then hopefully move within a month or two.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 AM
UCLAzzz

Beware, traffic sucks in the LA area!! 405 freeway is horrible. I live in LBC and use to commute to Westwood, UCLA (27 miles) and the drive is usually 1 hour on good day and 2 hours bad day, 1.5hour average without car pooling. LB to torrance probably take you around 30-50mins at rush hour and depending on how far off the freeway your work is in torrance, you could be in for a big commute. If money is not an issue live near hermosa or redondo, so you don't have to take a freeway into torrance!!! Hermosa is awesome!!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Saint_Spinner

Since your in Torrance, look around Gardena for apartments....
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLAzzz
Beware, traffic sucks in the LA area!! 405 freeway is horrible. I live in LBC and use to commute to Westwood, UCLA (27 miles) and the drive is usually 1 hour on good day and 2 hours bad day, 1.5hour average without car pooling. LB to torrance probably take you around 30-50mins at rush hour and depending on how far off the freeway your work is in torrance, you could be in for a big commute. If money is not an issue live near hermosa or redondo, so you don't have to take a freeway into torrance!!! Hermosa is awesome!!
You're crazy...

My commute is 15 minutes on a bad day. I couldn't stand living that far from campus.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:41 PM
ppw350Zunit

bulletproof vest.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Mr_Q

Don't.

If you have family then move to Sherman Oaks, Studio City, maybe Encino or Valencia. Except for Valencia all are in the valley or at least on the "outer edge".

If you're single...move to Venice or Hollywood or Santa Monica.

Oh wait, working in Torrance? Yer f'd. Sorry.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 AM
L337350

Originally Posted by UCLAzzz
It usually depends on when you're driving though

I used to do the opposite commute... i'd drive from westwood and i worked in long beach. at 6:30am it took me about 25 mins to get to signal hill, then i'd drive bck up to westwood after work. around 2pm it usually took 45 mins or so, then around 3:30 and beyond it was like you said.. 1-2 hours
Old 09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

Originally Posted by battles2a5
I may be getting transferred to LA temporarily and I need help figuring out where to look for a place to live. I will be working in Torrance, and I would like to live somewhat close to limit my commute. I would also like to live close to or on the beach. I was thinking Hermosa Beach, but it seems pretty small. How is long beach? What are some of the better areas? Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

... and last of all, how the hell do I get my Z out there??

Thanks!

I'm pretty ***** faced about now....but if you don't have to be here, don't come! If you have a life where you are, this place will suck it all out of you. I know from experience. 2 years in, and I despise this place more than anythin in this world! As for you Z, watch the 405. I need new front bumper bumper becuase of it!!!!!

(ButI've also had 4 Cosmos and 2 Vodka shots)............it still SUCKS!!!!

Get out while you still can!