Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Any one been to Willow Springs Track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
skip2daZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one been to Willow Springs Track?

im thinking of going there this weekend... wondering if anyone has any experience with the track?

also, i have 20's on with low profile tires and i cant put my stocks on for this because of my bbk, is it ok to go on 20's on to a track?

the reason im asking, is even though they are 3 piece and forged, am i running a risk of ruining or bending them some how

Thanks

Last edited by skip2daZ; 12-01-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:03 PM
jimster716

I'll be there on Saturday at the Streets of Willow track. Not sure which one you're considering going to.

If you're talking about Streets 20's aren't ideal. The last time I saw a 350Z with 20" wheels at this track a tire separated. This could've been from the quality of the wheel or the mounting. Ideally you would want a bigger tire profile as there is a chicane off the back straight that you'd want to go over with the racing line without bending a wheel.

Streets of Willow is a short technical track...big wheels with super low profile tires wouldn't be too fun on the corners unless you like spinning out (larger sidewalls give controllable progressive slip...super lows just give out). That's my take on it. I've seen people with 19's have problems or at least fight their car more than they should have to.

But if the itch is too great come on by and say hello. I have a black Z with a cage. I will most likely be with the Tein peeps while they test their S15.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 PM
skip2daZ

Originally Posted by jimster716
I'll be there on Saturday at the Streets of Willow track. Not sure which one you're considering going to.

If you're talking about Streets 20's aren't ideal. The last time I saw a 350Z with 20" wheels at this track a tire separated. This could've been from the quality of the wheel or the mounting. Ideally you would want a bigger tire profile as there is a chicane off the back straight that you'd want to go over with the racing line without bending a wheel.

Streets of Willow is a short technical track...big wheels with super low profile tires wouldn't be too fun on the corners unless you like spinning out (larger sidewalls give controllable progressive slip...super lows just give out). That's my take on it. I've seen people with 19's have problems or at least fight their car more than they should have to.

But if the itch is too great come on by and say hello. I have a black Z with a cage. I will most likely be with the Tein peeps while they test their S15.
Yeah my friend is inviting me to go to that technical streets of willow track on Sunday. Was this the track where you saw a tire separate from the wheel on that z.
I really want to go, but the rims are kind of holding me off.

here's my car btw, so as you can see my tires are pretty thin

Last edited by skip2daZ; 12-01-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:43 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

We are at Willow Springs (both Streets and Big Willow) and we will be at The Big track on 12/14/05. That is the track to be on if you like more of the high speed driving. 19's are not the best idea, and 20's are an even worse idea.

Check out our video, it has footage of us at Big Willow, Streets of Willow, Pahrump, Cal. Speedway, and my favorite local area track Button Willow.
See it here (you will need Quick time to see it, but well worth it)
Click here > http://violentracing.com/Videos/new11_2005.htm

Scott at VRT
Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Media Player

Scott, let us know when you get a media player file up..

Quicktime download only works on Win2000 and XP

Cheers Amy -
Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Egbert Souse

I would advise against running 20s (or even 19s) on a racetrack. It is very likely that you will damage them. If you are running Streets of Willow especially, the chicanes will clobber your bling 20s.

Sounds like you don't have much (or any) track experience. If you still have your stock 18s or 17s, install them for your track day, and most of all, do what your instructor tells you.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 PM
skip2daZ

Originally Posted by Egbert Souse
I would advise against running 20s (or even 19s) on a racetrack. It is very likely that you will damage them. If you are running Streets of Willow especially, the chicanes will clobber your bling 20s.

Sounds like you don't have much (or any) track experience. If you still have your stock 18s or 17s, install them for your track day, and most of all, do what your instructor tells you.
yea... i dont have any experience on a track, and from all of these helpful replies i probably won't take my car to the track.

but i cant put my stocks on because i already got a brembo big break kit on and now the stocks wont fit
Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Egbert Souse

I'm not trying to discourage you from tracking your 350Z. IMHO it is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. LMFAO

I just think you are really risking an expensive set of 20s if you run them on the track. Won't 18s fit over your Brembos? My Track model came with Brembos and 18s.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude you have the exact same wheels as me except my rears are 11in Do you have any problems with your front wheels hitting the fenders? i had to use 5mm to fit my brake kit in the front, shoot me a PM sometime
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get some wheels for the track Once you go to the track, you will want to get rid of your 20's and make your Z faster!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:14 PM
skip2daZ

Originally Posted by Egbert Souse
I'm not trying to discourage you from tracking your 350Z. IMHO it is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. LMFAO

I just think you are really risking an expensive set of 20s if you run them on the track. Won't 18s fit over your Brembos? My Track model came with Brembos and 18s.
well my car came with 17's stock... but i dont think that even 18’s will clear them, and my brembo kit is not the stock z brembo kit, its the actual Brembo GT 14" kit, even my 20's barely cleared them, i in fact had to use 5mm spacers to clear that kit.

And i see what you're saying... i didnt see your comment as discouraging, but as a tip of not to track on 20's

I do want to get in to tracking though, but when i get a different set of wheels maybe

But I will look it to those rays z wheels, and see if they would fit my kit, so maybe I’ll get those

Last edited by skip2daZ; 12-01-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
skip2daZ

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Get some wheels for the track Once you go to the track, you will want to get rid of your 20's and make your Z faster!
haha... i'd bet on that
Old 12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by skip2daZ
haha... i'd bet on that
Oh Yeah...............+1
Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Court

www.putfile.com/courtg35
there is a vid of me at bid Willow, I went there last Jan. was really fun. good track and good people(opentrackracing.com).
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

the wheels will probably have problems, There was a Z that drifted on 20s, the wheels didnt fare well, its harder on the wheels then streets of willow, but you run the same risks.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i was there with Jimster when Mike A (the dude with the 20s) got his tire ripped off.. not becuase of bad mounting. the instructor was driving his roadster, went off track and spun, damaging the inner lip of the rear passenger side rim. that caused the tire to come off. again after they remounted the tire.

streets is like a big auto-x course. it'll be fun.

how do i know? cuz i still have his bent rim that i made into a table!

ahhaha

Old 12-02-2005, 03:15 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Chebosto
i was there with Jimster when Mike A (the dude with the 20s) got his tire ripped off.. not becuase of bad mounting. the instructor was driving his roadster, went off track and spun, damaging the inner lip of the rear passenger side rim. that caused the tire to come off. again after they remounted the tire.

ahhaha

YEAHHH! LMAO!! Hahahaha, dude that is pretty funny. I remember that. I never knew what you did with that wheel. Alot has happened since then.........OHH memories!

YEP...20's = bad idea

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 12-02-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
skip2daZ

Originally Posted by Chebosto

ahhaha

do you have to let the instructor drive your car though? cuz like wtf... i would be really pissed if some one else did that to my car.

lol and i like that table btw
Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike A. has since learned the ways of the track.. i havent spoken to him for a while. but last i heard he's got a dedicated track Zcar now with 18" on race rubber a fully built race motor etc. etc.. and he put the supercharger that was on his roadster on his G35sedan or something like that.. he's down in SD..
Old 12-02-2005, 07:15 PM
daytona350z

Originally Posted by skip2daZ
well my car came with 17's stock... but i dont think that even 18’s will clear them, and my brembo kit is not the stock z brembo kit, its the actual Brembo GT 14" kit, even my 20's barely cleared them, i in fact had to use 5mm spacers to clear that kit.

And i see what you're saying... i didnt see your comment as discouraging, but as a tip of not to track on 20's

I do want to get in to tracking though, but when i get a different set of wheels maybe

But I will look it to those rays z wheels, and see if they would fit my kit, so maybe I’ll get those

track rims will fit your setup, then again you can invest in some "cheap" 5zigen fn01rc's for the trac, you can run 18x9.5 all the way around.

Quick Reply: Any one been to Willow Springs Track?