Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

My experience at Street Image of Baldwin Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:38 PM
03Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In there defense the shims can take forever to get from Nissan if they're out of stock. Find out which ones you need, I still have a few left over from my install... if I remember correctly they go from 2.00 to 2.60 in .05 increments.

As a backup you can take your car to Newport Exotic Cars (KAAZ USA) who installed mine and at least 10 others and always get it perfect the first time. I have over 20k miles on my 3.9 gears with no whine! www.kaazusa.com shouldn't be any more than $300 for the complete install.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Ant830

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do great work there but they lag on installs and phone calls. I had my TT installed there in november and it took a good 3 weeks. Although, he did cut me a deal on the install, which made me happy. I had a few problems that they gladly took care of as well. They do awesome work but I'm the most impatient person in the world. I'm looking to drop another 4k doing the fuel return, boost controller, test pipes, Emanage ultimate and retune but I know it will be there for weeks if I drop it off. I'm considering going to brainstorm or GT just for the time factor. My car is a daily driver.
Anyone have anything positive to say about BSP or GT?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 PM
UCLAzzz

I appreciate everyone posting their experiences, good or bad! Some of us are looking for the best deal no matter what, i.e. timeliness, customer service etc, others don't mind paying a little bit or a lot more for instant gratification, good service and work! Sometimes you do get what you pay for! I think all consumers win with posts like these, keep in coming fellas! I've inquired about installing springs and sways at street image, by phone call, and never received calls back, so I didn't give them business, it's really their loss, cuz I've dropped Alot of money on my Z at shops where I had a good experience and customer service! To each their own!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:08 AM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by imalazeeass
Well since it seems like all the long-time customers are chimming in, i might as well too since I kind of consider myself a long time customer as well. I've done lots of installs there.. (springs when I had them, my big brake kit, exhaust, coilovers, edfc, etc). I'm going to try to be unbiased as possible and just be honest. They overbook themselves all the time. It doesn't really bother me but if you are in a hurry, you are screwed. Their ETA's are not very accurate as well. So if I were you I would give themselves the full day to do ANY type of mod (even if its just tightening a bolt) because it usually comes down to that anyways. I took my car in to install my tein flex with edfc.. dropped off the car at 11 am and they finished at about 1030pm. As for the not returning phone call thing, that is true as well. I assume they are just really busy all the time but it would really make a world of difference if they were to return phone calls. I'm not saying they never do, but most of the time they don't.

You should also keep in mind that most of the time they take a long time is due to the fact that they do not rush things. I'm sure you don't want them to rush things either. So if you want the job done right, you just got to be a little more patient. It doesn't hurt SI if they do hire more people tho. Afterall, they do have a dedicated secretary who answers phone calls, so it wouldn't hurt if they made her return calls as well. I hope you get your issue resolved, they are good people there.
My exact experience to a T!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM
JKDman

i been a customer of Streetimage since taking ownership of my G. (1.5 years)

Bottom Line:
Their work is exceptional.
No one is 100% perfect all the time.
No one should expect that.
But the care and consideration taken to each car that comes in is unparalleled.
Hands down.

When there are issues:
They take care of it.
Let's face it, **** happens, and when they do...
i'd want SI to be behind it.
why? because i know it will be taken care of.

They're swamped with people's calls, inquiries, cars being brought in.
Being under-staffed might hold some truth behind it, but i still haven't found a place that does the same level work.

I won't lie. There have been times when i didn't get a return call.
But i'm not gonna be like some needy biatch and go crazy about it.
I usually ask what's going on, what's the hold up, and 99% of the time it's out of their hands *IF* there are delays.
Some manufacturers and Aftermarket places are just slow on some stuff.
Deal with it.
If you can't, don't mod.

I had to wait for my HKS coilover to come back from warranty for more than 6 months. That's a looooooong a$$ wait. But i knew it was out of their hands, and as soon as it came in, Eric called me up to tell me the great news.

It's like the people that were waiting for the HKS exhausts to be shipped.
The vendors weren't to blame, it was HKS.

People that run shops don't like cars sitting there.
They want to get them out ASAP as well.
On top of that, they don't want to see a car come back because of a bad install.
It just doesn't do any good for business.

When u go in for mods, u gotta understand that things may go wrong, and you'll have to work thru it.
The boys at SI are more than willing and capable.

They still have my thumbs up and i'll refer them all day.
This coming from one of the hardest to please ***** out there.
Patient yes, but EXTREMELY picky.

Good luck with your final drive issue.

DRU
Old 02-15-2006, 02:02 PM
InsaneChink

i just got quoted for install from Street Image:

Crawford HF Cats: 120.00
KJR Crank Pulley: 100.00

that's a little pricy isnt it??
Old 02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Workz33

Originally Posted by 03Z33
In there defense the shims can take forever to get from Nissan if they're out of stock. Find out which ones you need, I still have a few left over from my install... if I remember correctly they go from 2.00 to 2.60 in .05 increments.

As a backup you can take your car to Newport Exotic Cars (KAAZ USA) who installed mine and at least 10 others and always get it perfect the first time. I have over 20k miles on my 3.9 gears with no whine! www.kaazusa.com shouldn't be any more than $300 for the complete install.
Great info. I've been trying to find a reputable shop to do the gears for a decent price. THanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Workz33

Originally Posted by JKDman
Bottom Line:
No one is 100% perfect all the time.
No one should expect that.

When there are issues:
Let's face it, **** happens, DRU
I dont know about you but I expect 100% thats why we take it to professionals who are supposed to know what they're doing. Should you expect less and hope they will exceed ur expectations?

and for the **** happens comment - So if they mess up on an install and you crash your car, do you just shrug ur shoulders and say "**** happens"?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second Kaazusa in costa mesa. never had problems with install issues with diff...once to put in diff, another to remove diff and put back to oem. price ~300 per.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 PM
rgreene

I wish I had known about the shop in Costa Mesa, cause that is just a 5 minute drive for me, whereas street image is about an hour. ARG.

Anyway, update.

I started leaving messages on Monday and didn't get a response. This morning I called and left a message saying that I was tired of their customer service and if they had no intention of fixing the problem that they created that I expect a full refund for the labor they did. I got a call this afternoon saying that the parts are in and worked out a time to bring my car in. They were very appoligetic about the situation and told me that they weren't trying to avoid me, but that Eric was having some personal issues that he needed to work out. Okay, I guess I can't get too upset about that, but I should've gotten a call at least informing me of what the situation was. I'll let everybody know how things go.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Workz33
I dont know about you but I expect 100% thats why we take it to professionals who are supposed to know what they're doing. Should you expect less and hope they will exceed ur expectations?

and for the **** happens comment - So if they mess up on an install and you crash your car, do you just shrug ur shoulders and say "**** happens"?
Well said and I agree 100%
Old 02-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneChink
i just got quoted for install from Street Image:

Crawford HF Cats: 120.00
KJR Crank Pulley: 100.00

that's a little pricy isnt it??
All I have to say is, don't haggle with labor prices. If you don't like what they're charging, do it yourself or take it somewhere else. Just note that usually doing it ONCE and doing it RIGHT is worth a few extra bucks.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
InsaneChink

made my appointment for 11:00AM Monday, wish me luck.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
tripmachine

wow!! I haven't read the whole post yet but i will keep reading to see if they fixed ur problem....... but as of now I am NOT going to go to street image like i was about to in the next week or two to get my 3.9's installed..... I delt with idiots like that before regarding my old 240sx and getting it rebuilt, they NEVER CALLED ME BACK!! NOT ONCE! the only time i talked with them the 7 months they had my car was when i called them....... street image just got shot down to a ton of Z owners due to their neglect on your installation......... if they don't fix it i'll make sure I tell everyone i know with a Z or silvia NOT to go to them...

-j0sh
Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should probably call the better buisness beauru and shut em down. Or at least tell them your going to if they don't fix your $1200 problem.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 PM
ObZeZZed

I just called KAAZ and these guys realy know there s#!t. He knew all the parts I would need and also says hes got most of the shims in stock. If no xtra shims are needed then he can complete it in less than a day. My choice before this was to have the dealer drop the pumpkin so I could get it to the gear shop and then wait a couple of days to get it back and then have the dealer re-install it. EXPENSIVE. These guys will do it all and for 250-$300 I assume that doesnt include additional parts but still, All I need to do is bring the car and the gears and they will have all the other parts waiting for me. This is awesome. I am no longer terrified to do my fnal drive .
Old 02-16-2006, 03:29 PM
ObZeZZed

Originally Posted by 03Z33

Dude, I am so glad you posted about KAAZ you are my hero. I have wanted to do this for awhile but was terrified of the potential problems. I spoke to someone at KAAZ and now all my worries are gone and I can simply look forward to my next and possibly most impressive mod at an incredible install price. Thank you, this is better then Prozac.

Last edited by ObZeZZed; 02-16-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:57 PM
rgreene

Well, after driving for an hour to get to the shop I am told that they had booked me for next Saturday. That could have been my fault, but still, I had to turn around and drive home. I'll call KAAZ Monday (or Tuesday if they aren't open Monday) and see if they can fix me up. If they can, I'll go that route, even if it means more money on my part. I'm sure Street Image would fix it eventually, but I'm just getting tired of all this running around I'm doing (I don't want to think about how much gas I've wasted driving from my place up there each time!)
Old 02-21-2006, 08:02 AM
InsaneChink

Alright Guys, so here's MY experience from Street Image. My appointment was for Monday @ 11:00. When i got there, it was totally not what i had imagined. Its a pretty small shop w/ 2 lifts. I imagined a huge place with 5 lifts and a crew. But its just really 2 guys busting their a$$. I gotta tell ya, these guys are really professional. I pretty much watched the whole install, and though it took a little longer than i exepcted, they did an extremely thorough job. Once it was done Eric(owner) does a test drive to make sure everything was ok. He put it back on the lift 3 times and made his mechanic make adjustments until he was satisfied with the install. I've never been to a place that that does that. I usually find out the problem on my way back home then have to go back to the shop 2-3 times. There was another forum member there also w/ top secret kit and vert doors... it was sick. But im definitely going back for future mods. So i guess the moral of the story is to take everyones opinion with a grain of salt. I was very skeptical about going to them after reading this thread, but after doing a search i found that there were much more postive experiences than negative ones. So i gave them a shot... and now i think i finally found a reliable shop for my mods.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InsaneChink
Alright Guys, so here's MY experience from Street Image. My appointment was for Monday @ 11:00. When i got there, it was totally not what i had imagined. Its a pretty small shop w/ 2 lifts. I imagined a huge place with 5 lifts and a crew. But its just really 2 guys busting their a$$. I gotta tell ya, these guys are really professional. I pretty much watched the whole install, and though it took a little longer than i exepcted, they did an extremely thorough job. Once it was done Eric(owner) does a test drive to make sure everything was ok. He put it back on the lift 3 times and made his mechanic make adjustments until he was satisfied with the install. I've never been to a place that that does that. I usually find out the problem on my way back home then have to go back to the shop 2-3 times. There was another forum member there also w/ top secret kit and vert doors... it was sick. But im definitely going back for future mods. So i guess the moral of the story is to take everyones opinion with a grain of salt. I was very skeptical about going to them after reading this thread, but after doing a search i found that there were much more postive experiences than negative ones. So i gave them a shot... and now i think i finally found a reliable shop for my mods.
I am glad you gave these guys a chance. I think it is beneficial to post both positive and negative experiences, but you took the right route in seeking information and looking at their reputation from an observer's view and saw that there are WAY MORE positive posts than any negative ones. Good job

Quick Reply: My experience at Street Image of Baldwin Park