Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.
View Poll Results: Canyon run?
We NEED to have a canyon run if we're going to meet.
19.35%
We don't NEED a canyon run, but I would like one.
25.81%
I was only planning to come to the canyon run because I don't like parties.
3.23%
I am neutral to a canyon run. Mainly, I want to meet others, take pics, and party!
32.26%
I could care less about a run. I'm all about the party.
12.90%
I'm not coming to the meet but I just wanted to vote!
6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

OC Mega Meet: Update and Final Poll! (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:24 AM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OC Mega Meet: Update and Final Poll! (I hope)

Well, we've decided on a date (2/16/03) but we have had some issues with regards to the time we should meet. I just wanted to throw this question out there to see how you all feel about the meet.

How do you feel about a canyon drive?

The issue here is that in order to have a GREAT canyon run happen, we need to meet as early as possible. Around 8am or so. The main purpose of this Mega Meet is to get as many people together as possible. So the 8am is kinda tough for some SD and LA people. Also, if we meet at 8am, or 9am... even 10am... the drive will be pretty LONG... like a 2 hour drive, then lunch, then 2 hour drive back... We're planning to get to HA's around 3pm or so, meet everyone, caravan to a GREAT area for pictures with the beach to the background... then go back to HPZ's beautiful home to party and socialize. That means almost your entire day will have to be commited to this thing. I don't mind, but I don't know everyone's schedules. Also, if we get 40 or so 350Z's with 2 G35c friends coming like planned... it will be a pretty TOUGH drive to keep all of us together.

HPZ and I thought that maybe we can do without a Canyon Drive in this meet, since there are many runs going on as of late. For those HARDCORE drivers, we can do a smaller canyon run before the party.

Please vote, and give me your comments!

Last edited by BullishZ; 01-27-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:14 PM
iris

i voted before i read your explanation. i went for the "would like a run but dont need one." but I just did it to keep my options open.

I agree with you though, it would probably be impossible to do a run with over 20 cars. And it makes planning and logistics so much harder. And smaller (and not so planned) runs are just as much, if not more fun.

Maybe switch my vote to "neutral."
Old 01-27-2003, 12:19 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by iris
i voted before i read your explanation. i went for the "would like a run but dont need one." but I just did it to keep my options open.

I agree with you though, it would probably be impossible to do a run with over 20 cars. And it makes planning and logistics so much harder. And smaller (and not so planned) runs are just as much, if not more fun.

Iris, thanks for your comment, as always.

More COMMENTS from the rest of you please!!!

This is OUR meet. I want input.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:51 PM
MastaKillaZ

I voted for a canyon run... this is how I figure it...

8am in the morning will likely cut out some people from joining in the run... hell, may even cut me out depending on how my saturday goes...

and traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time on a sunday....

and yeah over 20 cars will be a logistical nightmare to keep together (assuming over 20 show up at 8am), but I've also had fun where the run is split into 4 or 5 wolfpacks since not everyone can stay together. either way, I'm sure people will bring their FRS and hopefully we'll all end up at the same place.

long run or short run... either way, there definitely should be a run... I mean we're meeting because of our cars... not to swap recipes. again, just my two cents...
Old 01-27-2003, 01:00 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by MastaKillaZ
I voted for a canyon run... this is how I figure it...

8am in the morning will likely cut out some people from joining in the run... hell, may even cut me out depending on how my saturday goes...

and traffic shouldn't be too bad at that time on a sunday....

and yeah over 20 cars will be a logistical nightmare to keep together (assuming over 20 show up at 8am), but I've also had fun where the run is split into 4 or 5 wolfpacks since not everyone can stay together. either way, I'm sure people will bring their FRS and hopefully we'll all end up at the same place.

long run or short run... either way, there definitely should be a run... I mean we're meeting because of our cars... not to swap recipes. again, just my two cents...
Thanks for your input.

Since you admit that there is a chance you will not make it to the meet "may even cut me out depending on how my saturday goes..." it would be safe to assume that this can happen to ALOT of people. Ask SnoopyZ... I've been guilty of the same.

So let's say we get a canyon run at 8am. Do you plan on being ready to drive UNTIL 3pm when HPZ can host us? Thing is... there will be a lapse in time between the DRIVE and the PARTY. I don't want 20 cars to show up at 8am... do the run... then go home. Then have 20 OTHER cars show up for the party. I want the biggest group of Z's to come together.

There was recently a meet in MD and they had 27 Z's together. That was impressive!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:02 PM
brooklyn

I like Masta's idea about splitting a big group up into smaller packs. I think that would work. I'd be down for a run, but do you guys think it matters that I haven't broken in my car yet? I have less than 1000 miles and would love to push it, but want to break it in at the same time. But yea, a run is a must.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:26 PM
MastaKillaZ

I'm trying like hell to block out that whole day and the night before... but sh*t happens (well, really just work)... if I can be there all day, I will... I'm sure that goes for a lot of people cause it sounds like this meet is going to be off the hook...

and driving till 3pm??? I thought we were having lunch at sometime... definitely gonna need a bathroom break between 8am and 3pm or am I just getting old???

and brooklyn, even if your car isn't broken in, I think you should be fine... besides, you have nearly three weeks to finish breaking in your car. hee, hee.

and bullishz, some people will arrive/leave early and some people will arrive/stay late... but I'd wager that most of us will be there throughout... if I'm wrong, you can take it out on Iris... lol.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM
BullishZ

if I'm wrong, you can take it out on Iris... lol.

Funny!
Old 01-27-2003, 02:06 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BullishZ
Iris, thanks for your comment, as always.

More COMMENTS from the rest of you please!!!

This is OUR meet. I want input.
Our last SFV meet included about an hour or two of driving which was fun in that we had a caravan of Zs on the freeways and canyon roads.

Keeping even 6 Zs together is hard, especially in traffic. We lost one for a little bit and hooked up at our next meet location. Waypoints are essential. For something as large as this meet, you may want to have a lead car who is available by cell phone so that people can call if they accidently get split up.

The best part of these meets is to meet with other Z owners, shoot the breeze, have something to drink and eat, cruise around a bit and eat and drink some more at the next stop and so on until people break off. If you decide to do a long 2 hour trip, I recommend a couple breaks (waypoints) where we pitstop, have something to eat and drink and go to the bathroom.

In my opinion, the initial get together where we say hi, take pics and smooze is the most important part of the meet. Especially if we want to count more Zs than the MD meet.

I'm indifferent to a 2 hour cruise after 1.5 hours to get there and 1.5 hours to look forwards for the ride back home.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:41 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by hfm
I'm indifferent to a 2 hour cruise after 1.5 hours to get there and 1.5 hours to look forwards for the ride back home.
Fair enough~
Old 01-27-2003, 02:55 PM
iris

if I'm wrong, you can take it out on Iris... lol.
Why am I the whipping-person??

MastaZ makes good points, I must admit. To run and not to run.... The only way to do this will be to have set times and places and good directions for those people who've never been to that part of OC (me). So if you miss one time/place, you are not screwed for having lost everybody. I guess the house is the end destination, so it won't be too hard.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:18 PM
pasadena_z

I'm in for anything....drive,eat,sleep,party,drive...pictures,party,dri ve,meet people,drive...etc.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:35 PM
BullishZ

Originally posted by pasadena_z
I'm in for anything....drive,eat,sleep,party,drive...pictures,party,dri ve,meet people,drive...etc.
I like your attitude! Remind me to buy you a drink or lunch...

(this thing is NOT easy to plan~)
Old 01-27-2003, 06:53 PM
SnoopyZ

Originally posted by iris

If the meet / run is properly organized... we can definitely do it. I went to a couple S2ki mega meets... and they ran Mt. Palomar and Ortega Hwy.

To keep things safe... make sure to have different driving groups (ie. advanced, intermediate, and beginner)... this will allow people to drive more comfortably.

So... yea... I don't think it would be a problem... just make sure we all know the directions and FRS (talkabouts).
Old 01-27-2003, 08:18 PM
BullishZ

I have been stressing about planning out the DRIVE part of this meet... because I haven't even been on Ortega canyon!

So SnoopyZ has volunteered to plan and lead the moring drive.

For those who want to join in, of course.

I'm joining HPZ at his home this Weds to scout out some good locales for photos and "Z" formation

Will keep you guys posted on what's happening.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:12 PM
dczoner

For me, the run is pretty much what I love about these meets, so if there is no run, I'll start my own. I mean, did we buy these cars to have them sit in a parking lot while we all admire the fact we all have the same car?!?!?!?

Sorry, I couldn't resist - I love the meet & greet facet too, I just love driving my car and it is a little more comforting to have other people that know the terrain, etc. to be the guide, not to mention equally capable cars.

As far as 8am - thats tooooooo early... make it at least 9 or 10 (I know for me I'm coming from Long Beach, so I gotta give a little more commute). I might even suggest along the packs ideas to have maybe an 8am group and a later group - like 9 or 10... Lets make this as complicated as humanly possible!
Originally posted by brooklyn
I like Masta's idea about splitting a big group up into smaller packs. I think that would work. I'd be down for a run, but do you guys think it matters that I haven't broken in my car yet? I have less than 1000 miles and would love to push it, but want to break it in at the same time. But yea, a run is a must.
brooklyn - the only thing you really have to worry about is tire wear - these babies don't have a whole lotta hold when they're that new (or for that matter when they have almost 8k miles on them). The engine, sure, fire it up, but I'd take it about 60-80% around the corners just to make sure you get a good grip.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:11 AM
MastaKillaZ

hey bullishz, snoopyz, and everyone else... if you guys need help dealing with any of this stuff, let us know... hey, I'm the kind of guy who likes to do everything myself too, but remember, this is supposed to be fun and the last thing any of us wants is for you guys to keel over from stress...

PM me if you need anything (unless it's money, then PM hfm... he's a baller)... otherwise I'll see what I can do for you...

on another note, for all of us who will show up, we're all very grateful for your efforts... and when you see the giddy smiles and stupid grins on our faces as we cruise past families in their volvos on their way to church in a prism-colored swarm of caged horses, then hopefully it'll all be worthwhile.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:18 AM
iris

yes, ditto what mastaZ said for me too

especially
PM me if you need anything (unless it's money, then PM hfm... he's a baller)... otherwise I'll see what I can do for you...
Old 01-28-2003, 01:06 PM
BullishZ

the last thing any of us wants is for you guys to keel over from stress
Thanks man! Remind me to buy you a drink as well.

Iris, you too.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:10 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL. This coming from a juggler that clocked paper from all the bricks he sold at SC. I heard it paid for his tuition.

Quick Reply: OC Mega Meet: Update and Final Poll! (I hope)