Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Any people living around UCLA??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:37 PM
hidehide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any people living around UCLA??

Im gonna transfer to UCLA in the Fall.
Im starting to look for apartments..
Do you guys know any good apartments??
And do you know which area is good and which area is bad???

BTW, is Palms (near UCLA) a safe area???
Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 PM
B-Unit

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....highlight=ucla
Old 06-05-2006, 05:27 PM
hidehide

Im not finding for a meet. I just got some questions about people living around ucla.

Thanks though.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:44 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

owned by a nub!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:36 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Palms is not necessarily walking distance from the campus. I'm not sure if there are shuttles that go that way... maybe they do.

I'd recommend something closer. Walk around by the campus.... there are tons of apartments on Veteren, Kelton, etc. They all fall within the mid-night yell area so regardless of where you live, so long as you are by the campus, you get to yell at midnight during the finals week.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 PM
itchyvi3t

i would stay away from palms area (heard of an armed car robbery recently), try to move closer.

Plus you dont want to pay for parking (600 for 3 quarters)

www.dailybruin.ucla.edu look in the classifieds, they have some good apts.

btw the furthest the shuttle goes around wilshire center and one near veteran
Old 06-05-2006, 08:42 PM
mlam002

I'm graduating for UCLA in like a week..

but I lived right next to campus, on veteran ave a place called park view apartments

1350 for a 1bedroom.. split between me and a roommate.. 2 underground parking spaces and its right next to campus shuttle.

Palms is pretty ghetto... look around you'll find some good deals around campus if you look hard enough
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
L337350

dont move to 508 / 510 veteran ave.. i lived there and it sucks! moved a few buildings over though
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I'm living in palms, my street is not too bad but some streets in this area make me nervous.

It's also too close to campus to get guaranteed parking (unless you're uber like me) so you might end up taking the blue bus, which sucks.

It's mostly pretty chill but from time to time the cops are busting someone on a nearby street, which is something you don't see too often in westwood...

Then again if you live on Veteran, there is substantial crime in that area as well
Old 06-05-2006, 10:29 PM
hidehide

I planned to live with 1 friend in a 1 bedroom apartment or 2 friend in a 2 bed room apartment..
I will stay in a bedroom, and my girlfriend will also be staying there.
I basically, im looking to share the rent with either 1 or 2 person..

Apartments near ucla seems to be at least $1400 for 1 bedroom..

Im so lost now..
Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by hidehide
I planned to live with 1 friend in a 1 bedroom apartment or 2 friend in a 2 bed room apartment..
I will stay in a bedroom, and my girlfriend will also be staying there.
I basically, im looking to share the rent with either 1 or 2 person..

Apartments near ucla seems to be at least $1400 for 1 bedroom..

Im so lost now..
My girlfriend just found a nice 1 bedroom for 1150. Near my apartment in palms.

I know it's rediculously expensive nowadays, but if you can't afford it there's really only one option, which is putting more people into the apartment.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
hidehide

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
My girlfriend just found a nice 1 bedroom for 1150. Near my apartment in palms.

I know it's rediculously expensive nowadays, but if you can't afford it there's really only one option, which is putting more people into the apartment.
As you have written in your first post that you also lived in Palms..
and you also said that some streets in that area makes you nervous..

So do you recommend me to live in Palms??
Which are the crazy streets? and which part of Palms are better??

What about parking?? Since my girlfriend will also stay in my room, I will need 3 parking for 1bedroom or 4 parking for 2 bedroom.
I dont want to park my Z in the street in LA.. I cant sleep at night.. but neither do I want my gf's car parked on the street..

Ya.. and for UCLA parking, did you apply for one person?? or carpool???
Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Originally Posted by hidehide
As you have written in your first post that you also lived in Palms..
and you also said that some streets in that area makes you nervous..

So do you recommend me to live in Palms??
Which are the crazy streets? and which part of Palms are better??

What about parking?? Since my girlfriend will also stay in my room, I will need 3 parking for 1bedroom or 4 parking for 2 bedroom.
I dont want to park my Z in the street in LA.. I cant sleep at night.. but neither do I want my gf's car parked on the street..

Ya.. and for UCLA parking, did you apply for one person?? or carpool???
I honestly don't think palms is a dangerous area. Sure, crime goes on. But where doesn't crime happen in LA?

Just mind your own business and no one bothers you. Pretty simple.

Depends on where you live, but parking is generally HORRIBLE in palms. 3 cars for 1 bedroom means probably 2 people parking on the street... there is very crowded and very limited street parking. None of the apartment buildings have enough space. I wouldn't park my Z on the street either unless I had to like for one night.

Street parking is HORRIBLE in westwood too. Might as well forget about it.

As for UCLA parking, I'm an exception. I'm in grad school and my department guarantees parking. Almost no other departments on campus can say the same thing.

If you want guaranteed parking you can work at parking services part time, about 12-16 hours a week. It's a chill job and pays pretty decent for doing jack ****. I have done it.

To be honest I would try to convince one of your roommates to leave their car at home. You don't all need cars.

Having a car and going to UCLA at the same time is very tricky. I would recommend AGAINST having a car unless you have the means to secure parking at UCLA every quarter as well as a good plan for parking on the street.

Another good area to check is the brentwood-adjacent area south of wilshire. Street parking is a little better and the price is about the same as palms only a little more expensive.

PS My apartment is a 3 bedroom with 3 people living in it, and 3 cars. We have 2 parking spaces and it's a total b1tch already. I don't recommend having to park 2 cars on the street, parking 1 on the street is bad enough.

I also pay a higher rent to secure my parking space... which is obviously valuable to me because I love my car...

Keep in mind that I have gone to ucla for 5 years + 1 year of grad school

2 years in the dorms (maxima parked at home) ... 2 year in a buttrapingly expensive apartment in westwood village (we had 1 parking space for 2 bedrroms, roommate did not have a car). 1 year in a modestly priced apartment in brentwood-adjacent area, (2 bedrooms 2 parking spaces )
and 1 year in palms, 3 bedroom and 2 parking.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 06-05-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM
huyner

i went to UCLA from '99-'03 so here's some advice for apartments and parking.

the apartments in the westwood area (strathmore, kelton, midvale, etc) are extremely expensive and extremely old. underground parking in this area is limited so i doubt you will be able to get 3 spots for a 1 bedroom apt. as for street parking, it will be a hassle unless you're willing to park on veteran....near the the cemetary.

since you have a car, my suggestion would be to live a little further from campus in areas such as palms or santa monica. in these areas, you'll find better apartments at a more reasonable (yet still pricey) price. Also, parking both guaranteed and street parking, will be a lot easier.

if UCLA doesn't give you a parking permit, driving to campus will cost you a lot of money. the last time i was there, i think a daily permit cost around 7 bucks. your other option would be to take the blue bus, which was free while i was there but is now currently charging 25 or 50 cents i think. you could also drive to campus and put quarters in the meters but i think 1 quarter will only give you 7 or 8 minutes. so for a 1 hour class you'll have to put in at least 2.50 worth of quarters so that you'll have time to get to and from class. And if you're 3 minutes late, there WILL be a parking ticket on your windshield.

your best bet into obtaining a parking permit is by applying for a carpool permit. otherwise you'll have to tell the parking enforcement something ridiculous like you are commuting from san jose and you work everyday after class.

in my opinion, the best place apartments for ucla students are in santa monica. my last apartment on on santa monica and barrington and it was by far the best deal. nice apartment, plenty of parking, convenient to everything (supermarkets, bus stops, etc.).

if you have any further questions let me know. i still have a few buddies that live in that area.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
slay2k

Ehhh... I'm in the same shoes (starting grad school in Sept), and I plan on getting an apt that is within walking distance and a gated or underground garage.

I'm willing to pay a premium, since commuting from a farther-away place like Santa Monica will probably be a b*tch without a parking permit.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 PM
SB Track

I'm going to be a second year next year. And all I can say is F*CK UCLA, LA, Westwood and all the surrounding areas and their parking. That is all.

No, but seriously. The apartments near the campus are so old. If you can get on campus parking, I'd just recommend living a further away.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slay2k
I'm willing to pay a premium, since commuting from a farther-away place like Santa Monica will probably be a b*tch without a parking permit.

if u show your bruin card, you can ride on the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus for $1. anywhere...

also.. UCPD really have nothing to do but to pull over modified cars. when i lived off of Veteran & Ophir i got pulled over like three times in three months... got a ticket twice for no front plate, and i fought and won an 'illegal exhaust' ticket. #@%#
Old 07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
wooochang

Palms sucks. (no offense to the people who live therE) but theres nothing to do.

try to live on campus and share an apt with some other kiddos. try to move into 424 and you'll be partying every night
Old 07-07-2006, 10:34 AM
slay2k

Great chebosto, I'm assuming at least UCPD is the University police?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 PM
SB Track

I was just at UCLA for the passed few days in my friends new apartments/condos. The new complex is called Club C.A. ... All I can say is they are SWEET. Pretty much brand new and they are so nice on the inside. I think it costs a little more, but its really close to school, and personally I think its worth it. When I bring my car up to LA though, I think I need to ziptie my frontplant on. *tear I have no mods, but I know my black car will get nailed for front plate.

Quick Reply: Any people living around UCLA??