Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Street Image Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:48 PM
disturbed2483

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while I have had a bad experience with Street Image and will never use them again. although 400 dollars for bbk install is not bad as I got quoted a range of 300-450 for my install from different shops but opted to do it my self instead.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r3v
yeah thats where i didn't care anymore. He sounds pretty happy so I didn't want to continue on with ruining his parade.

we've got a big meet coming up so we all need to just get along before the date comes by.

it's aaaaallllll gravy baby.
I hope to make the meet. Please be sure to say hi. No hard feelings you know.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
hfm

Crappy cell phone pics but, better than nothing.

Front BBK

Closer view

Rear upgrade

Old 07-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
I agree that particular job should have been handled better. Eric's response was however reasonable when I asked him about it and I wonder if his Jorge's job was discounted.
Jorge did not get NO discount and if Eric had other things to do he should have not welcomed the install and should have notified the customer of a possible delay. Eric may say one thing but the customers always have the last say. I was there every step of the way even offering Jorge a ride to see if car was ready. I dunno but Jorge is the type of person that would go out of his way to help anyone and the way Eric treated him speaks alot of how SI has gone down the toilet for the Z and G crowd. Also Dan the BBK kit looks great any problems yet
Old 07-03-2006, 08:55 PM
r3v

^the install looks good

keep up the good work

Quality > Quantity
Old 07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Jorge did not get NO discount and if Eric had other things to do he should have not welcomed the install and should have notified the customer of a possible delay. Eric may say one thing but the customers always have the last say. I was there every step of the way even offering Jorge a ride to see if car was ready. I dunno but Jorge is the type of person that would go out of his way to help anyone and the way Eric treated him speaks alot of how SI has gone down the toilet for the Z and G crowd. Also Dan the BBK kit looks great any problems yet
That's not good. I would have expected a few hundred dollar discount for the delay. Well, if Eric wants to respond to this issue, he can. I don't know if he checks the forum but, this is something he really should discuss.

The kit's fine. I just need an alignment and some body work. Still waiting on JWT for CARB though.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
DZeckhausen

Originally Posted by hfm
Would you mind reviewing this thread and providing us with your professional opinion regarding the time for a 13" front brake kit and Stoptech upgrade rear?
Since I wrote the installation manual for the front StopTech kit, I suppose I would be in a good position to give you a time estimate.

Installation is going to vary widely, depending on the experience level of the shop. Some front BBKs are much harder to install than others. The 350Z is relatively easy, the only "tricks" being the removal of the nut that holds the brake line support bracket, without twisting the bracket off. (I use a deep well socket and an air impact wrench.) And bleeding the front calipers for the first time is tricky, since you have to tilt the caliper toward a more vertical position, in order to get all the air out. If you had never done a 350Z before, and had to learn this stuff the hard way, you could easily add another hour to the installation. A first-timer should really go through the installation manual from front to back a couple times before even picking up a wrench.

I can do a front 350Z kit install in slightly less than two hours. I don't have a lift, so I'm doing it with floor jacks and a jackstand. And I'm also working with the customer (sort of like a brake tutorial), spending time to answer tech questions, pose for photos, teaching customer how to change pads, bleed brakes, etc.

The rear BBK is a bit longer, thanks to having to cut off the dust shield. I usually split the installation around lunch, so we do the front brakes 1st, then go out to lunch and hang for a while to talk about cars, Formula 1 racing, etc., then we go back and finish the rears. Finally, we go out for a test drive to make sure there are no funny noises (e.g., rubbing of dust shield against rotors) and to bed in the brakes. So for my shop, a 4-wheel installation is an all day affair, but it's more like a brake seminar. A shop with a lift and a junior mechanic (i.e., lower paid) who had done a 350Z before should be able to knock this off in 3 - 4 hours and charge significantly less than I do.

I don't know anyone who can charge $100 for a 4-wheel BBK installation and make any money doing it. I could see a StopTech retailer selling a kit at list, then offering a free or discounted installation. But a $100 fee for installing a BBK brought in by a customer (purchased elsewhere) is not going to put food on the table. Somewhere in the mix of sales and installation, the shop needs to make enough money that their time isn't better spent elsewhere.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
hfm

Dave, thanks for your time spent on your response. It's very much appreciated.

If this thread has done one thing, it's given forum members a better idea how long it takes to install this big brake kit.

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 07-08-2006, 10:11 PM
B-Unit

Well all else aside 1 thing is for sure. your brakes look sick dan. i saw them today.. mad me sooo mad i dont have the $$ for rotors right now. Nice job
Old 07-08-2006, 11:01 PM
nickgundara

I paid $125 to get all four BBK installed. I've now owned the BBK kit for almost a year....no problems.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:23 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Well all else aside 1 thing is for sure. your brakes look sick dan. i saw them today.. mad me sooo mad i dont have the $$ for rotors right now. Nice job
Thanks man. Good to see you at Hearst.

Originally Posted by nickgundara
I paid $125 to get all four BBK installed. I've now owned the BBK kit for almost a year....no problems.
Why is it everyone who says they had a $100 job never posts where they got it done?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Cannysage

daum.. beefy looking bakes, yo.. tight!
I still like the looks of drilled rotors, but them slotted ones are better for heat.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Luv Mntrl
Suck it!

OMG...and you guys say women are bad? I can't even get through it all!

Old 07-09-2006, 02:03 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

I just want to say hi to Dan because its been so long.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:43 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dan, haven't seen you/your ride in the longest time! Dang, it's naaaaice! Luv those brakes!!
Old 07-09-2006, 05:39 PM
daytona350z

hi dan. didnt know you got new wheels and now a bbk nice
havent seen you in a while man.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:21 PM
THE ROADSTER

I had my Stoptech installed at Street Image, they did a very good job for me. Too bad they lost about $30,000 of business from me after no return calls after I left 3 messages.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this post is a month late but whatever...

Dan I got the stoptech stage 2 kit at perf. nissan, and had the same experience as you... great price on the kit, but got quoted the 8 hour install and said "CYA later guys"

then I called up Cheston and we got the brakes installed in probably 3 hours on jackstands in the parking lot where he works. The security guard tried to bust us, saying we weren't allowed to do work on cars there. But we played it off like my car wouldn't run, so he let us finish up.

Anyway, there's nothing THAT hard about getting brakes done. But $485 isn't bad at all considering it's not easy work, it's not CLEAN work, and most of all, if it's work done right, nothing wrong with paying $485.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

year late*
check the year
Old 08-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

omfglolz
well my story is almost 2 years old

and that begs the question...