Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Street Image Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 09:32 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Image Rocks!!

For three years, I have been critical of every place I buy parts or obtain service with my Z and post the results to assist other Z owners. When someone sucks, I say so. When someone rocks, I say so. Street Image rocks!

I recently purchased the Stoptech 13" front brake kit and rear upgrade kit from Performance Nissan. The pricing on these parts was terrific. Jason hooked me up with pricing that was without a doubt - a hook up. But, their service department quoted me an eight hour installation. Now to their defense, I was quoted from a fee schedule manual and their work has always been exceptional but, if you've done any brake work in the past or even bother to do a search, you should know that this is a 3 to 4 hour job max. So, being the value minded customer, I walked from that quote. There is a big difference betwen Performance Nissan parts and Performance Nissan Service. Parts rocks, service rocks but their service pricing can suck.

Eric at Street Image set me for a date last week and I had something that came up so I asked to reschedule. No problem, it was reset for the next weekend same time.

I show up a half hour early and work commenced immediately. Buckey was my autotech and he did the job plus oil change, belts and straightened out some metal that was in contact with my lower control arm and fixed a problem with the e-brake. I hadn't even known of this problem with the bent metal that contacted the lower control arm until Buckey brought it to my attention. He had simply heard I was having vibration problems and after visual inspection, found the problem.

I left the shop about six hours later with all this extra work done without additional charge. I wasn't charged for straightening, the Motul brake fluid was no charge (I think Eric was especially nice about this because I was one of his first customers and really didn't expect this) and I was charged a mere $400 for the labor, $50 bucks for the oil change including Mobil - 1 and $30 bucks for installation of belts. Tax? What tax?

In short, what would have been over $1,000 at the dealership ran me $485. I can't emphasize enough that the quality of work that I've experienced everytime I've been to Street Image has been A+ and as far as value - let's just say you will NOT be gouged by these guys. Eric runs a tight shop, he does not overcharge - if anything, he cuts customers nothing less than hook-up rates and in my case, I believe he undercharged me. I expected the bill to be $600+ at $95 per hour rates. Instead, with the time spent, I was charged considerably less.

I'm posting this in another thread where some customers had issues. If you really want to know what's going on, give Eric a call. Street Image's work is bar none - the best.

Last edited by hfm; 07-01-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 AM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
For three years, I have been critical of every place I buy parts or obtain service with my Z and post the results to assist other Z owners. When someone sucks, I say so. When someone rocks, I say so. Street Image rocks!

I recently purchased the Stoptech 13" front brake kit and rear upgrade kit from Performance Nissan. The pricing on these parts was terrific. Jason hooked me up with pricing that was without a doubt - a hook up. But, their service department quoted me an eight hour installation. Now to their defense, I was quoted from a fee schedule manual and their work has always been exceptional but, if you've done any brake work in the past or even bother to do a search, you should know that this is a 3 to 4 hour job max. So, being the value minded customer, I walked from that quote. There is a big difference betwen Performance Nissan parts and Performance Nissan Service. Parts rocks, service rocks but their service pricing can suck.

Eric at Street Image set me for a date last week and I had something that came up so I asked to reschedule. No problem, it was reset for the next weekend same time.

I show up a half hour early and work commenced immediately. Buckey was my autotech and he did the job plus oil change, belts and straightened out some metal that was in contact with my lower control arm and fixed a problem with the e-brake. I hadn't even known of this problem with the bent metal that contacted the lower control arm until Buckey brought it to my attention. He had simply heard I was having vibration problems and after visual inspection, found the problem.

I left the shop about six hours later with all this extra work done without additional charge. I wasn't charged for straightening, the Motul brake fluid was no charge (I think Eric was especially nice about this because I was one of his first customers and really didn't expect this) and I was charged a mere $400 for the labor, $50 bucks for the oil change including Mobil - 1 and $30 bucks for installation of belts. Tax? What tax?

In short, what would have been over $1,000 at the dealership ran me $485. I can't emphasize enough that the quality of work that I've experienced everytime I've been to Street Image has been A+ and as far as value - let's just say you will NOT be gouged by these guys. Eric runs a tight shop, he does not overcharge - if anything, he cuts customers nothing less than hook-up rates and in my case, I believe he undercharged me. I expected the bill to be $600+ at $95 per hour rates. Instead, with the time spent, I was charged considerably less.

I'm posting this in another thread where some customers had issues. If you really want to know what's going on, give Eric a call. Street Image's work is bar none - the best.

LOL
Old 07-02-2006, 01:57 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by B-Unit
LOL
I know I've met you on a Latigo run, the Santa Barbara run and probably quite a few meets. I might see you at the Hearst meet as well. I don't recall you ever being a jerk and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And, I am entitled to mine.

Frankly, I did a search and generally speaking, you bash vendors and I don't think you do so with good reason.

"Ive heard bad things about m1 autobody. im not going to say anything right now but needless to say they seem to be negligent about many things when it comes to you being satisfied and having the job done right. plus they are a money hungry body shop...like allot of body shops are unfortunately.."

"M1 i have no personal experience but i have seen and talked to people who did."
https://my350z.com/forum/southern-california/198389-m1-autobody-dishonesty.html
Now, if you want to assassinate Street Image because you think you got gyped on $60.00 after what I'm sure was high quality work, I think you're acting rather childish.

It seems to me that you recently got a hard on for Status. If you like 'em promote them, knock yourself out. But, you're coming across very lame bagging on Street Image for something that you think happened over a year ago and I wonder if your new love afair with Status has anything to do with it.

One other thing, you got to stop talking about yourself in the third person if you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:20 AM
plumpzz

Originally Posted by hfm
I know I've met you on a Latigo run, the Santa Barbara run and probably quite a few meets. I might see you at the Hearst meet as well. I don't recall you ever being a jerk and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And, I am entitled to mine.

Frankly, I did a search and generally speaking, you bash vendors and I don't think you do so with good reason.

Now, if you want to assassinate Street Image because you think you got gyped on $60.00 after what I'm sure was high quality work, I think you're acting rather childish.

It seems to me that you recently got a hard on for Status. If you like 'em promote them, knock yourself out. But, you're coming across very lame bagging on Street Image for something that you think happened over a year ago and I wonder if your new love afair with Status has anything to do with it.

One other thing, you got to stop talking about yourself in the third person if you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously.
LOL
tahe..jk.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by hfm

Dan i dont have any problems with you man. I met you at the SB cruise last year and ur a nice guy. Im not usually a dick that post was late last night and it was deff. left a bit vague as to what i was laughing at.

I just thought ur comment about street images work being "bar none THE BEST" was definitely somewhat bold. I have no idea how much work youve had done on ur Z at other shops etc but based on some of the things weve seen/heard happen at street image im sure there are shops out there that are equally as good if not better.

about the whole vendor bashing thing i have no idea what your talking about man. this is what i do... i hear things about shops and see work done by them and then i post up my opinions on the work. What am i supposed to say man if ive seen cars come out of m1 with **** work done on them, or hear my friends say they had terrible experiences @ that shop, then someone posts up a thread asking about m1....huh...im just tell people about my experiences and others man..i dont pander to any crowd.

And the comments about Status...well i may have a hardon about status but its well warranted. The guys who work there are the **** and even at the meet rick hooks me up cuz hes a nice guy, i doubt id see eric hookin me up...actually he charged for non existent parts...

the third person thing i dont get...

thats all im gonna say. sorry if it seems like i ruined ur thread..i just saw u were gonna post ur story in my thread and i thought that it would be allright for me to talk about things in urs... but i guess not.

PS post ur experience in the thread i started about SI if u uhavent allready.

-B-
Old 07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by hfm

$400 dollars for brake installation? No way. It costed me 100 bucks with brake fluid included
Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
r3v

yeah sorry to say but $400 is way too much
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan I don't think Brian meant any disrespect by that post but we have had HORRIBLE and UNFAIR treatment from Eric I don't think Street Image is a bad shop but Eric has ruined what was once a good shop. When Jeff ( Bobo ) was there I was always treated like a customer but now that he has left SI has lost all understanding of how to treat customers. On another note Dan it has been a while since we hung outr and it's good to see you post....
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by VN_350z
$400 dollars for brake installation? No way. It costed me 100 bucks with brake fluid included
Originally Posted by r3v
r3v yeah sorry to say but $400 is way too much
Do you guys understand I'm not talking about stock brakes? I'm talking about a big brake kit installation.

Taking off the wheels, calipers, roters on all four, bleeding the fluid, installing two front big brake calipers, rotors and two rear upgrade rotors, re-doing the brake lines, re doing wheels?

This is a LOT of work. It's not 8 hours that Performance was going to charge me but, it was definitely 3 to 4.

WTF? Cite me a place that will do this for $100.00.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Dan I don't think Brian meant any disrespect by that post but we have had HORRIBLE and UNFAIR treatment from Eric I don't think Street Image is a bad shop but Eric has ruined what was once a good shop. When Jeff ( Bobo ) was there I was always treated like a customer but now that he has left SI has lost all understanding of how to treat customers. On another note Dan it has been a while since we hung outr and it's good to see you post....
Ed, always good to hear from you too.

When you say HORRIBLE and UNFAIR, I don't think you read Bryan's post well. I understand what was being complained about. In fact, I spoke with Eric about that particular thread. He had an explanation for each complaint. And, he was credible. When he thought he was at fault, he admitted fault. When not, he explained. For example, he did agree that there were some calendaring problems in the past and problems with a prior autotech. I wasn't expecting this frank response. Since then, that prior autotech is gone and I've got to say, his people work hard. Buckey worked up a sweet in 101 degree weather to get my job done as quickly as possible without f'ing up very expensive Volk wheels, and big brake kit. These guys were handling over $5,000.00 of parts and I trusted them to do so without damage.

When it was all over, I know I was undercharged as a hook up. I tipped out Buckey an extra $20 spot because he worked his *** off on my car, taking out a bent metal section next to the upper control arm that no one else whose been working on my car bothered to notice on visual. They didn't even charge me for this 45 min to 1 hour job of dropping the assembly and pounding out the metal

My post is based upon my experiences with Street Image. They've done excellent work each time I've been there. I drove almost 100 miles round trip to go to them because I knew I'd get the job done the right way for the right price when I thought Performance Nissan was trying to shaft me with their service. And, that is the fact of the matter.

Ed, hope to see you at Hearst.

Last edited by hfm; 07-02-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Dan i dont have any problems with you man. I met you at the SB cruise last year and ur a nice guy. Im not usually a dick that post was late last night and it was deff. left a bit vague as to what i was laughing at.

I just thought ur comment about street images work being "bar none THE BEST" was definitely somewhat bold. I have no idea how much work youve had done on ur Z at other shops etc but based on some of the things weve seen/heard happen at street image im sure there are shops out there that are equally as good if not better.

about the whole vendor bashing thing i have no idea what your talking about man. this is what i do... i hear things about shops and see work done by them and then i post up my opinions on the work. What am i supposed to say man if ive seen cars come out of m1 with **** work done on them, or hear my friends say they had terrible experiences @ that shop, then someone posts up a thread asking about m1....huh...im just tell people about my experiences and others man..i dont pander to any crowd.

And the comments about Status...well i may have a hardon about status but its well warranted. The guys who work there are the **** and even at the meet rick hooks me up cuz hes a nice guy, i doubt id see eric hookin me up...actually he charged for non existent parts...

the third person thing i dont get...

thats all im gonna say. sorry if it seems like i ruined ur thread..i just saw u were gonna post ur story in my thread and i thought that it would be allright for me to talk about things in urs... but i guess not.

PS post ur experience in the thread i started about SI if u uhavent allready.

-B-
I don't have any problems with you Bryan. I think it best that we simply agree to disagree on Street Image's performance and value.

My experiences were extremely positive. Yours apparrently were not. I don't think Eric is the type of guy that would have charged you for something he didn't do.

He's not the type to waste his time reading and posting these posts and was unaware of your post until I brought it to his attention. I suggested he post to give his side of the story. He declined. And, he was right to decline. His view was, no matter what he said, posters on these forums have a tendency to view matters depending upon how popular people are. And, he's right. You're a liked individual, and if he came to post, likely a group of people would band up to bash him. There's very few vendors I've seen able to deal with this kind of treatment - Jeff over at Performance and Vandy over at Crawford being good examples. But, those guys depend upon the flow of customers from this forum and do whatever is necessary. It's hard work to respond to each accusation.

I'm not going to post his response to your claim. That's just hearsay. But, I wonder if you've bothered to call him to discuss your concerns before you started posting? What was the reason he gave you?

Hope to see you at Hearst too.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Ed, always good to hear from you too.
Ed, hope to see you at Hearst.
I will see you there Dan....
Old 07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
zman1910

I don't care about the silly washers story but if there is one reason I would never get anything done through these guys and its bc of a members Greddy TT install. Most of you are probably familiar with that story as well.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them bc with all the badmouthing of Street Image, they definitely needed something good to happen. One good experience will not make up for the large amount of complaints against them. Oh by the way you can't believe everything a shop owner will tell you. Don't forget its a business in the end and people have to protect themselves. They'll say whatever it takes to come off as the nice guy and make it look like others are at fault. I will always believe the consumers first...
Old 07-02-2006, 02:10 PM
r3v

Originally Posted by hfm
Do you guys understand I'm not talking about stock brakes? I'm talking about a big brake kit installation.

Taking off the wheels, calipers, roters on all four, bleeding the fluid, installing two front big brake calipers, rotors and two rear upgrade rotors, re-doing the brake lines, re doing wheels?

This is a LOT of work. It's not 8 hours that Performance was going to charge me but, it was definitely 3 to 4.

WTF? Cite me a place that will do this for $100.00.
Well i didn't agree that the job will be done for only $100, but $400 is certainly a lot.

Some of the steps you've listed isn't that big of a deal. If you do your own brake pads, then you're already half way there.

1. Taking off the wheels - yes we all know how hard this is
2. Calipers - shifting the steering wheel to one side so that the two caliper mounting bolts are visible enough to take out is hard?
3. Bleeding the fluids?? Im sure you meant drain the fluids.
4. Rotors - again, mounting screws are hard?

Now that we're half way there.... the installation would be like following steps in order of 4 - 1, except torquing everything down into specs and instead of drainning the fluids you would of course now bleed the line. Please dont tell me that bleeding brake line is hard; step on the brake 2 - 3 times, hold, then release valve.

Last edited by r3v; 07-02-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:17 PM
sparkle

yeah i just did my stop-tech brake kit last month and it was cake
Old 07-02-2006, 02:27 PM
L337350

95/hour? dont they usually charge 75 an hour?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:38 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by r3v
Well i didn't agree that the job will be done for only $100, but $400 is certainly a lot.

Some of the steps you've listed isn't that big of a deal. If you do your own brake pads, then you're already half way there.

1. Taking off the wheels - yes we all know how hard this is
2. Calipers - shifting the steering wheel to one side so that the two caliper mounting bolts are visible enough to take out is hard?
3. Bleeding the fluids?? Im sure you meant drain the fluids.
4. Rotors - again, mounting screws are hard?

Now that we're half way there.... the installation would be like following steps in order of 4 - 1, except torquing everything down into specs and instead of drainning the fluids you would of course now bleed the line. Please dont tell me that bleeding brake line is hard; step on the brake 2 - 3 times, hold, then release valve.
Can you to cite me a location that would do this for less. And, if you think $485 is high, what do you think of being charged over $1000 by Performance Nissan?

As for what needs to be done look here:

http://8.7.96.35/tech_info/manuals_b...A_06-04-05.pdf

All you need to do to figure out whether what you're saying is correct is to do a search.

1 - 1.5 hours JUST FOR ROTORS per Stoptech:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=installation

A do it yourselfer 3 hours JUST FOR FRONTS.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....h+installation

Another experienced do it yourselfer's assessment:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....tallation+cost

I did my research before letting anyone do this work and I knew EXACTLY how much time this job should take.

Last edited by hfm; 07-02-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:39 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by sparkle
yeah i just did my stop-tech brake kit last month and it was cake
Pics of your install?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by L337350
95/hour? dont they usually charge 75 an hour?
Don't believe so, my recollection was $95.00/hr. Call Performance Nissan at 866-214-2933 if you want to be sure.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by zman1910
I don't care about the silly washers story but if there is one reason I would never get anything done through these guys and its bc of a members Greddy TT install. Most of you are probably familiar with that story as well.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them bc with all the badmouthing of Street Image, they definitely needed something good to happen. One good experience will not make up for the large amount of complaints against them. Oh by the way you can't believe everything a shop owner will tell you. Don't forget its a business in the end and people have to protect themselves. They'll say whatever it takes to come off as the nice guy and make it look like others are at fault. I will always believe the consumers first...
I do appreciate your post because, I had the exact same thoughts about that TT install. I specifically brought this up and the answer I recieved was honest - they did in fact have calendaring problems due to jobs from big companies. They've made efforts to correct this kind of problem. And, I said, if I had this kind of delay, what would you do to fix the problem. I was correctly told that their would be adjustments on my bill. I'm not quite certain to what extent he was taken care in view of the delays. But, I suspect there was either some work done free or reductions in price.

My thoughts on this is simply this - I may go FI when Jim Wolf's kit is CARB certified. When that happens - Eric will be doing my installation.

Quick Reply: Street Image Rocks!!