Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Moving to San Diego- need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:56 PM
stereoneeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to San Diego- need some help

after fighting it for a few years, ive realized im not gonna be happy until i end up in san diego every time i visit, i come home wondering what im doing not living there. anyways, ive found a few areas id like to move to. there are some new developments in chula vista, but recently i found some in spring valley. but no one i know in san diego knows anything about spring valley. its about 10 miles east of downtown, a few more minutes to pacific beach, and seems to be an ideal location. all ive learned is that its unincorporated. i liked that because it meant no mello roose, where as chula vista has some pretty steep ones. does anyone here have any info/advice for me. id like to stay under 850k, and work at home so i need a 3000+ sq ft home with a 3 car garage, which pretty much leaves me with relatively newer homes. id also like to be as close to gaslamp/beaches as i can. im going on sun to look around and hopefully pick something up- just wanted some advice/input before i go. thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spring valley is hella hot, way inland, very far away from gaslamp/beaches. semi rural. consider clairemont, mission valley, mission hills.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
stereoneeds

i just ran mission valley on the mls, and the biggest house on the market there is only 2400 sq ft. (correction- the only ones under 900k are 2400 sq ft). i ran mission hills, and wow, i thought something was wrong because it only brought back one house, but when i moved my price range from 900k to 5mill, i got 23. so thats a little out of my price range as well. just ran clariemont as well- same thing. im not snobby, i just need a big house because i work at home, and need to stay under 800k-850k. i know this is not an easy task in sd, but does anyone else have anywhere i should look, or know anything more about spring valley. i just ran google maps and spring valley to gaslamp is 14 miles, which for me isnt too bad. also, im coming from antioch- its like 110 every day. so anything under 90 is great to me!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
whoaishjustin

not quite close to gaslamp but how bout rancho bernardo 4S ranch area..new homes being built around your price range.. nice area as well
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
stereoneeds

a lot of people from sd told me to check rancho bernardo out too, and i will this weekend. i mapped it and its 30 miles away, which is twice as far as spring valley, and the houses seem to be about the same price. i just keep wondering why houses in spring valley are the same when they are so close. i checked some out last time i went down, but honestly i just jumped off the freeway and then back on, so i didnt get a real feel for the place. just wondering whats wrong with spring valley
Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Cannysage

hey what's up? PM sent. I'm in carlsbad during the week and SD county is awesome!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:27 PM
JimRHIT

Originally Posted by stereoneeds
a lot of people from sd told me to check rancho bernardo out too, and i will this weekend. i mapped it and its 30 miles away, which is twice as far as spring valley, and the houses seem to be about the same price. i just keep wondering why houses in spring valley are the same when they are so close. i checked some out last time i went down, but honestly i just jumped off the freeway and then back on, so i didnt get a real feel for the place. just wondering whats wrong with spring valley
Well ... let's see ... it was what ~120degrees there last weekend ...

Honestly, there is not much wrong with the area, good people, lots of police patrol, clean air for the most part ... it just gets hot during the day ... unbearably hot for being so close to "the perfect city" San Diego.

Try Bay Park and Point Loma ... places sell there a lot for less than you think.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z BOY
spring valley is hella hot, way inland, very far away from gaslamp/beaches. semi rural. consider clairemont, mission valley, mission hills.
+10
Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whoaishjustin
not quite close to gaslamp but how bout rancho bernardo 4S ranch area..new homes being built around your price range.. nice area as well
4S is nice, but he doesn't want mello roos. It's mello roos robbery over there.
3000 sq ft, 3 car garage for around $850...sounds like Poway or CMR, and it's only 15 min to the beach with the new 56.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:06 AM
JAMBO

Default Spring Valley

Whats wrong with Spring Valley ?
I live in Spring Valley
If your single I wouldnt recommend it as its a very conservative family type community with low crime except in south Spring Valley.You will want avoid that area. The north end around Mount Helix is real pricey custom homes and going east toward El Cajon has a lot of new condo and housing developments right in your price range. Spring Valley is a what they call a bedroom community.
and there is very little industry or business. Its even hard to find a good local resturant !
Anyway its kinda quite and sleepy if thats what you want. Not to many bars or strip joints .. hehe
Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 AM
stereoneeds

thanks for all the input guys! I checked out Bay Park and Point Loma, and same thing- for under 900k the biggest house on the market was 2400 sq ft. Ill go feel out spring valley this weekend. i really dont mind a bedroom community, as i live in one now. at least ill have sd to go to. i was checking the weather online, and it seems that it averages 5 degrees hotter than sd almost every day of the year. am i missing something? also everyone keeps saying its not close to the beaches and gaslamp, but its still closer than all of the recommendations i can afford. JAMBO- how long does it take you to get to either place?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 AM
stereoneeds

anyone else have any input?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 AM
Z BOY

try mira mesa, scripps ranch, tierra santa, university town center, rancho penasquitos. its the "valley" in spring valley that makes it so freakin hot.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:11 PM
gdup35sedan

^^sorry, but you're not gonna find a house for 800-850k with 3000sq ft. and a 3 car garage in Scripps... especially not with all the houses that just got rebuilt from the fires being worth well over 2 mil.
-GP-
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
stereoneeds

well thanks for all the help guys! took the plunge and picked up a 3000 sq ft house with a 3 car garage in a gated community for 750k with no mello roos. i figure it at least gets me down south, and if spring valley is so hateful, in a few years ill just rent it out and get another in a better town. i clocked it on the rental and im exactly 9 miles to gaslamp, so at least ive got somewhere to go at night, instead of driving 1 hour to san francisco like i have to now. thanks again!