Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

TPMS (TPS) Recalibration...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS (TPS) Recalibration...

There seems to be debate as to whether the stock tire pressure sensors can be changed over to aftermarket wheels.

I am on my second set of Work wheels now. The first set I swapped over the stock TPS sensors and there was no issue with the computer reading them. Now on my second set of Work wheels (different model this time) and now after taking the car to the dealership to have the TPS calibrated (sold my stock TPS with the first set of wheels), the dealer cannot get the sensors to read. Now it is possible that someone sold me a full set of bad TPS sensors (I am doubting this).

I went to Performance to have them take care of this as I've heard others have done before. To my amazement, after having the car for 40 mins, they were not able to read a single sensor. Their answer to me was that sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. They also told me that it was because my wheels are too wide. Both of these answers are complete nonsense.

My main question would be to those who have had this done successfully. Where did you go to get this done? Has anyone gone somewhere besides a dealership?
Old 09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, the sensors could be bad or damaged.

As for the wheels being too wide, that's a mystery. They use a handheld device to activate the sensors. Maybe they can't get it up close enough to the sensor for it to work.

They are supposed to also be able to activate them with the Consult II unit if they don't have the handheld.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Yes, the sensors could be bad or damaged.

As for the wheels being too wide, that's a mystery. They use a handheld device to activate the sensors. Maybe they can't get it up close enough to the sensor for it to work.

They are supposed to also be able to activate them with the Consult II unit if they don't have the handheld.
So they can use the Consult alone then? I know that's what it says in the service manual. If this is possible, then there's really no reason they shouldn't be able to get them to work.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
rookie

I read in another thread that they told you they couldn't reregister them. Here's my take on it.

The tire pressure sensors suck. Not sure how thy could damaged or broken but it is a possiblity. Depending on the direction of the banding to the barrel they may not wake up. Mine are banded to my barrels and if I drive smoothly not making many sharp turns and they won't wake up and give the system a reading.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:07 AM
THE TECH

Just an update for anyone who is interested. Your stock TPS will work with aftermarket wheels. I have now used my original sensors on two sets of aftermarket wheels using the banding method and they work fine.

Now as far as Performance Nissan telling me that they wouldn't work cause the wheels were too big has now been debunked. Now, if you plan to use sensors other than your original stock ones, I cannot say whether there will be issues or not since Performance couldn't read the ones that I brought them. I speculate that it was lack of knowledge at the dealership. That is just a guess though.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tech - Good info man! Now if I can find someone who got them to work on Volks.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN
Thanks Tech - Good info man! Now if I can find someone who got them to work on Volks.
Has nothing to do with Volks or any other wheels. As long as you use your stock ones, you should have zero probs. If you need to have them banded, we can set something up and I can do them for you.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 AM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE TECH
Has nothing to do with Volks or any other wheels. As long as you use your stock ones, you should have zero probs. If you need to have them banded, we can set something up and I can do them for you.

Cool, thanks man. I might just take you up on that offer!