Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Must-Eat's in the LA county

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Must-Eat's in the LA county

Post your favorite burger, sushi, taco, thai, hot dog, ice cream, whatever.... resturant, bar, or stand!

Include your favorite item & average price

Here's one my favorites:

Jayburgers in Silverlake/Hollywood on Virgil & Santa Monica (Next to the 'Garage' bar -- look up "The Garage" if you have NAV) This burger stand is open all night (24 hrs) on Fri/Sat perfect for after a bar/club. Order a double jayburger with everything including.... egg! Thats right. A nice grilled egg on your chili-burger. You will worship this place after trying it. JayDog's w/ everything are great too. Cost = $5-10 max

I'll post some more later.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:05 PM
iris

hmmm....

Zankou Chicken - you can get a whole garlic roasted chicken (moist, tender, juicy) for around $8 or 9 or so. And everything else is cheaper. Their garlic butter/spread rocks too. But you smell afterward . There's one on Sepulveda in Van Nuys and one in Hollywood (forgot the exact street). Open until 10pm.

Poquito Mas - there's one in Universal City on Cahuenga by the freeway (right by In N Out and Fatburger). Burrito mojado style for around $8. Open until midnight.

Benito's Tacos - open 24 hours. SUPER cheap. The one in Hollywood on Highland is sketchy - it's just a stand. I like the one on Beverly and Fairfax better.

Noodle World in Alhambra. Cheap greasy Asian fried noodles, shaved ice desserts w/coconut milk and condensed milk, and boba drinks. Yumm.

haha, and I always like Taco Bell. Gorditas and bean burritos.

*ok, have to stop ghettoizing it. But I can't think of $$$$ places as easily as the cheap ones*
Old 03-24-2003, 10:29 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by iris
Zankou Chicken
Yes! I also recommend the Tarna Plate. The garlic sauce IS incredible. Note: Cash only.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:46 PM
MugenRD1

* thumbs up * for noodle world... yum yum
Old 03-25-2003, 12:10 AM
MastaKillaZ

King Taco... location: everywhere... more chili rojo please ($5 -10)... want more atmosphere, try El Cholo's ($10-20)

Crazy Fish sushi on Doheny near West LA ($15-20)... decent prices, good food... nicer view? go to Yamashiro's ($25-$35)

Chosun Galbi... in K-town off of Olympic and Western... for those who don't know k-town it's got a nice atmosphere ($25-$50)... but personally, the best korean food for me is one of those small mom and pop restaurants that got an F from the health dept. the first time around.

Italian??? Valentino's... on Pico... if you're ever feeling like you have TOO much money ($$$)... or for a more quaint Italian restaurant try Bona Vida in Hermosa or Manhattan Beach... ($20-40)

The Pier at Redondo Beach... nothing like steamed crab and a pitcher of beer on a summer afternoon ($20)... then off to Naja's, Hennessey's or Sharky's for a drink (price depends on your liver)

The Crustacean and Typhoon near Santa Monica (both are about $25)... for something a little different.

Sherazad (spelling?) on westwood blvd... kabobs and more kabobs... if you don't like their food, all I have to say to you is... kosh-kish!!! ($15-20)

For meat lovers... there's Morton's, Ruth Chris, the Palm, Lawry's, Nick & Stef's. ($35-50... or more)

For late nite's there's Pink's, Canter's, Izzy's, Dolores's, Tommy's, any Pho cafe, any chinese cafe, Hodori and El Taurino... (each can be had for under $20)

For big fat fluffly pancakes the size of frisbee's try Leo's Cafe (or is it diner) in the SGV. ($10)

Last edited by MastaKillaZ; 03-25-2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:21 AM
brooklyn

El Tepeyac in Boyle Heights...best (& biggest) burritos in LA hands down (imo).
Old 03-25-2003, 02:28 AM
mark_wilkins

The Hat, wherever you can find them. (Alhambra, Lake Ave. in Pasadena, and Upland come to mind...)

Pastrami Dip is the thing to get... and a friendly warning: order a small fries and you'll get a pound of them, minimum...

-- Mark
Old 03-25-2003, 08:07 AM
BullishZ

BCD Tofu House and El Taurino are the BEST!

This Thai restarant called "King and I" is also pretty good. Spicy *** Pad Thai... gave me the runs!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:14 AM
DURSO

Thumbs up

Teru Sushi in Studio City, or Brothers Sushi in Woodland Hills
Old 03-25-2003, 08:33 AM
victory1

Default EL Big Taco

there's one on van nuys blvd. one of the best carne asada taco's in LA. the #13 meal is good. around $5- 10
Old 03-25-2003, 08:43 AM
RoadRagerInTherapy

Dunno 'bout you "locals", but whenever I head to Cali I always make a stop at Chin Chin on Sunset for the Wontons in cilantro-garlic sauce...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:08 AM
importriders

I second "The Hat" - pastrami of course and wet fries...mmmmm
Tommy's( the original one)
Pink's - coleslaw dog
Roscos Chicken and Waffles (Hollywood) - 1/2 chicken with gravy and onions, red beans and rice
Killer Shrimp (Marina del Rey)
Tokyo Lobby (San Gabriel)
Hurry Curry(and basically all the other places on Sawtelle)

But my all time fav is not in LA but Long Beach. Khoury's - all you can eat whole maine lobster...nuff said.

Last edited by importriders; 03-25-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:45 AM
kaiser23

For excellent deli sandwiches, Santa Monica Farms on Main in Santa Monica (go figure)

Cha Cha Chicken - Carribean food. At Pico and Pacific in Santa Monica. Some of you may know the Cha Cha Cha's in hollywood somewhere. Same place basically.

The Great Panini - VERY tasty panini sandwich place on main in Santa Monica (notice a pattern forming here?)

WildFlour Pizza - Main street in Santa Monica. Best pizza I've had in southern california.

Tony P's Dockside Grill - Admiralty in Marina del Rey. Very good seafood. Nice bar.

Giovanni's Salerno Beach - Playa del Rey. Excellent italian, and italian seafood.

There's another italian place in culver city that has probably one of the best dishes I've ever had. Penne ala Vodka. Can't remember the name of the place though.

Last edited by kaiser23; 03-25-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:47 AM
kaiser23

Originally posted by BullishZ
Spicy *** Pad Thai... gave me the runs!
Umm, too much info?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:51 AM
3 FIVE O Z

Claim Jumper! 'Nuff said.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:12 AM
jr350

The Cheesecake Factory in Marina del Rey - 200+ menu items, and reasonably priced...a really bad place for a diet!
Old 03-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Akbar, Cusine of India in Pasadena, Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey. Something for fans of Indian food, newbies or folks who don't typically like Indian food. Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Akbari, Coco Lamb, Chilean Sea Bass, Cheese Nan - all good. Dishes in the $10-15 range. One of my favorites for years.

Kuala Lumpur in Pasadena. Great Malaysian food, including curries. $10-$15 range, too.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:54 PM
importriders

Originally posted by Scott Webb

Kuala Lumpur in Pasadena. Great Malaysian food, including curries. $10-$15 range, too. [/B]
Must agree with this one too.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:31 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ruth Chris Steak House Beverly Hills & Woodland Hills. Simply the best steak in So. Cal. period. $100-$160 dinner for 2.

Kate Matallini Beverly Hills. Haven't been here for a while but always excellent. $50-$100 dinner for 2.

Agoura Sushi Agoura Hills. Blows away Brothers Sushi in Woodland Hills which is also an excellent sushi bar. $50-$100 dinner for 2.

Vito Santa Monica. Excellent Italian. $30-$100 dinner for 2. Amazing wines.

The Brown Pelican Santa Barbara. Amazing breakfasts right by the beach for about $10-$15.

El Amir Mid-Wishire. Five-star Lebanese food. $100+ dinner for 2.

Versailles Venice and Encino/Studio City. Outstanding Cuban food. Cheap.

Gee, so many more. Miss Orleans and Aunt Kizzies.
Old 03-25-2003, 02:43 PM
MugenRD1

Lawry's in Beveley Hills.. Excellent Prime Rib.

Stinking Rose * Beveley Hills & San Francisco* everything has garlic and don't forget to try their garlic ice cream.

Quick Reply: Must-Eat's in the LA county