Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Going with Paddles

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM
ZgoodLife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going with Paddles

Hello fellow Z maniacs.

I would like to know if there are any techs out there that have worked or have experience with Paddle Shifters. Turbo Tim planted a bug in my head about paddles, and now I want it for my 06 AT ZR TT.

I found 3 after market companies who sell Paddle Shifters, which I will be calling first thing Monday for more info. Prices range between $600-1400.

The 2007 Infiniti g35 has an option for Magnesium Paddle Shifters, so I wonder if it would be compatible for use with Z's.

Please chime in.

Thank you
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have all the tranny upgrades?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 AM
ZgoodLife

VB upgrade next week, and Im seeking out some tranny experts for advice.
Torque converter possibly. I was reading a thread in FI about Level 10's tranny upgrade.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
THE TECH

Level 10 is terrible. I'd definitely look into other options.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM
ZgoodLife

Thanks Tech, will do
Old 04-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Cannysage

level 10 isn't bad, but it's old school.. go with sp. paddles aren't going to do anything for performance.. sounds like a pain, getting it installed.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
ZgoodLife

If its too hard, then I will scrap the idea. Im doing for asthetics mainly.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by Cannysage
level 10 isn't bad, but it's old school.. go with sp. paddles aren't going to do anything for performance.. sounds like a pain, getting it installed.
Why wouldnt paddles do anything for performance? If that was the case then the guys in F1 wouldnt be using them. It is not going to give you more horsepower, but it can help on the track....I would be interested in these, but does anyone know if there is some way to match RPMs while downshifting with something like this. I read somewhere that the BMW M6 (I think) had a computer system that blipped on the downshift to match RPMs. If there is no way to do this then I am not sure about it, but I have definately thought about this and would love to drive my car at the track with paddles. Left foot brake right foot for the floor!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
dubtunited

since this topic got brought back up...

any updates on what you've found out about this...just curious
Old 05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
Why wouldnt paddles do anything for performance? If that was the case then the guys in F1 wouldnt be using them. It is not going to give you more horsepower, but it can help on the track....I would be interested in these, but does anyone know if there is some way to match RPMs while downshifting with something like this. I read somewhere that the BMW M6 (I think) had a computer system that blipped on the downshift to match RPMs. If there is no way to do this then I am not sure about it, but I have definately thought about this and would love to drive my car at the track with paddles. Left foot brake right foot for the floor!!!!!!!!!!!
you're missing the point. OP has an AT, already. How would he gain performance by just having paddles, intead of a shifter in the center console?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Paddles on an automatic is completely different from the SMG of BMW.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
ZgoodLife

too much to fu#k with the tranny in order make after market Paddles. I wonder if 07 G magnesium paddles would fit the Z without messing with the tranny too much .
Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 PM
pushing4wardbac

What are you talking about?? messing with the tranny to add paddles? It is just an electric signal should be able to make a shift button if you want. I can't see it being that hard.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

i think your going after something that will only lead to headaches and electrical problems. With how complex the electrical systems are, i would not put anything on that wasent directly made for that vehicle. As for the paddles giving you a better track feel the problem is that SMG transmissions are designed to rev match on down shift and have a computer to handle the up shifts. the nissan system is too slow to react and make the paddles useful on upshift or down shift.

Last edited by Jarred@Z1; 05-09-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 AM
khyber

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Paddles on an automatic is completely different from the SMG of BMW.
Agreed. Why does everyone seem to think paddle shifters lead to faster shift times? Paddles don't do it, certain types of transmissions do.
-Max
Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
9kFever

F1 cars transmissions equate in no way shape or form to an auto Z transmission.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Navygolf13

I didnt mean that the F1 transmission was the same as the Z. I was saying that there is a way to increase your track times by limiting the time shifting, as well as not having to use three petals. That was my point....I dont know how it would work, but I think that there is a way to do it. I just dont know the ins and outs of it and what the benefits would be....trying to figure out how to go faster on the track is all.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Pooplet

just leave it alone, the z triptronic is fast enough.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

uh.. are you tryin to go to a sequential or clutchless paddle shifting system..

or just getting an aftermarket steering wheel with two paddles that basically does what manually shifting your automagix?

if you're interested in the latter,

check out Aspec Products' and have them order you the Works Bell paddle shifters

http://www.worksbell.co.jp/wb&np/pad...ter/index.html

but i dunno how much 'faster' you can shift with it, but it looks good-

Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt mean that the F1 transmission was the same as the Z. I was saying that there is a way to increase your track times by limiting the time shifting, as well as not having to use three petals. That was my point....I dont know how it would work, but I think that there is a way to do it. I just dont know the ins and outs of it and what the benefits would be....trying to figure out how to go faster on the track is all.
My understanding of the paddle shifter is that there is a separate unit attached to the transmission that is activated by the padlle shifters. The mechanism would use hydraulics to actuate shifting. There is alot more involved in a true F-1 style system than the shifter on the steering column.

Quick Reply: Going with Paddles