Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

(SOCAL) AT vs. MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
peebrayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a MT. I drive every day from through LA traffic. 35 miles takes me about 1 hour 10 min. I prefer driving a manual over an auto to keep me from being bored. It's more fun using all four limbs than just your right foot. I mean what else are you going to do sitting in that traffic?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never ONCE been in LA/SD traffic in my Z and thought,

"Damn, I wish I had an AUTO right now...."

If anything, it keeps you more alert and allows you to apply the right amount of throttle input for you to move those small gaps in traffic.

Sometimes I'll drive an AUTO in traffic and I'm just bored to the point where I want to fall asleep and rear-end the car in front. (Don't want to start another MT vs. AT debate but that's just my experience.)

Honestly, if you're THAT worried about traffic,the Z shouldn't be on the top of your list for prospective cars.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:16 AM
groove269

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
I have never ONCE been in LA/SD traffic in my Z and thought,

"Damn, I wish I had an AUTO right now...."

If anything, it keeps you more alert and allows you to apply the right amount of throttle input for you to move those small gaps in traffic.

Sometimes I'll drive an AUTO in traffic and I'm just bored to the point where I want to fall asleep and rear-end the car in front. (Don't want to start another MT vs. AT debate but that's just my experience.)

Honestly, if you're THAT worried about traffic,the Z shouldn't be on the top of your list for prospective cars.

Ive driven both types but never owned an MT, so i wouldnt know what a daily driver MT feels about it. I know, i dont want to start another MT vs. AT thread but this is for a specific location ( L.A traffic)
Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Cannysage

I drove in LA traffic with a MT (not a z) for 10 years. first 3 years was tolerable, but I started wanting to kill everybody, after that. I have both AT and a MT z, right now. MT will only be fun if you don't have to commute daily to LA. There's absolutely nothing fun about shifting in traffic, day in day out.. but on an open road, it's the opposite. decide carefully.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM
knucklez

Daily driver? Buy a hybrid and save gas $.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Destruct

I'm 21, live in LA, and have had 4 cars in the close to 6 years i've been driving. Everyone has been MT. I can't see every buying an AT. But I do drive a company van, and have only put 7,000 miles on my Z in the year i've owned it, so I guess I dont deal with traffic with it as much as others.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
cbasil
Banned

Mt
Old 07-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Dozer

I have AT and there are dayz I wish I had MT, traffic or no traffic... Either way I still love my Z to death...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Wendy
L A d y z 3 3

MT ftw...why get a automatic sports car...wheres the fun in that?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
fairlady350z33

i had both an 06 Auto and loved how it is in traffic, and the acceleration wasn't too far off from the MT when in sport shift mode.

I love the MT, its fun, feels like a real sports car, gives me more control, but I only drive it during weekends and as a recreational car. I wouldn't want to drive it in traffic everyday, thats why I have 2 Daily drivers for that.

If this is going to be your only car, then I suggest you weight the pros and cons and make a decision. GL on your purchase.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
tsabrale
ima shirimasen

When I was in the LA area, I recall LA traffic, and when I happened to be driving my AE86 around, sometimes I wish I had an auto. But if you are basing your whole decision on the type of z from traffic, go auto. But like many others, you may regret it later.

I would suggest just test driving both and see which one you like better. Then think about the traffic question.

For me, I would go Manual all the way. I find it a great excuse not to let people drive my car. Oh you can't drive manual? Too bad, you aren't learning on my car.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:32 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

If I had to drive in LA traffic, I'd probably get an AT. San Diego traffic is bad enough, but nowhere near LA... if it was, I would have bought an AT.... ok, I probably wouldn't have but I think I would have regretted it. I've already switched my on-ramps just so I don't have to sit on the hill of the one I used to take and slip the clutch.

For me, it'd come down to practicality. If you're in traffic most of the time you're in the car, an AT would be better. If not, the MT is more fun.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by Wendy
MT ftw...why get a automatic sports car...wheres the fun in that?
i disagree with that statement...but having a girl say that makes me happy in the pants somehow...
Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 PM
suhochunsah

This question is ridiculous.... Get what you LIKE!
Who cares about traffic? I've driven to LA from Irvine back and forth through traffic hell for years in many different cars, AT and MT. Traffic itself sucks. If I was worried about shifting in traffic, I wouldn't have gotten any car in MT to begin with. You need to ask yourself "Why do I want a MT (or AT)?". Then after you come up with an answer to that, "Which one would I prefer?"
Then, "Which car suits my needs/wants?" If it turns out to be an AT 350z, go for it.
If you love MT, then get MT 350z. Done. F*** the traffic man. Either way, you'll be stuck in it. While you're stuck in it, you can either be sitting in the car you wanted, or you can sit in a car you thought you wanted and regret every time the traffic clears up. Whatever the car, whether a ferrari or a daewoo, you ain't gonna like the hell on earth, cursed LA traffic any more than the other.
Quit worrying about it. If it's stalling/pressure of cars behind you on hills/etc that you're concerned about, just learn how to shift better.
Personally, I LOVE MT. Not because it's faster, not because it's cool, and definitely not because gas mileage. Most of those reasons aren't even true anyways.
I just love shifting my car manually. Period. That was the ONLY reason why I chose a G35 6MT over an AT. Sh*t.. after I bought the car, I stalled before I even got out of the dealer's parking lot. It was my first MT car and I was a bit nervous. After I managed to pull out onto the street, I gunned it to redline and chirped going into second gear and everything was all good with a HUGE smile on my face. I NEVER regretted getting MT because it's what I always wanted.
If you look at my signature, 03 Mercedes E500 was what I was driving before the G35. The Benz will kill this G35 in every way imaginable. Even in reverse. But guess what, during the first year of having both cars sitting in my garage at ALL times, I put about 500 miles on the E500 and 18,000 miles on the G35. It's pretty obvious which car I prefer over the other... right? I didn't give a sh*t if I had to drive 3 roundtrips of Irvine-LA in ONE day. I took my G. I actually enjoy traffic much more in MT compared to AT because I got to shift a lot. What good is MT when you never shift (a clear freeway at 3AM for example)?
Although what I'm saying only applies to me alone, what I'm trying to say is that what kind of car YOU want matters THE MOST. Other issues shouldn't outweigh the primary reason on whatever car/tranny you choose.
If you stick to what you truly want, you'll appreciate the car more in all situations. I know there wasn't a single moment where I regretted my choice on MT. Traffic on uphill or not. My thought was always like "Oh crap... it's hill... there's traffic... I need to focus and improve my shifting if I don't want to roll backwards onto a Lamborghini behind me..." Never like "Man... I wish I bought an AT..." or "I wish I drove my other car out today.."
I'm really dead serious about saying not even once.

If you're still worried about driving MT in traffic, my guess is that you should probably just stick with AT.
I hope my experience and opinion help you somewhat in making a better decision for your car man..
Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Roger V

S M G
Old 07-13-2007, 04:12 PM
led

I have a manual and I drive from Alhambra to Century City to Long Beach back to Alhambra three times a week. Traffic sucks but driving home at night from school is a blast. If I had to do it again I would still pick a manual.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
UHATEIT

there are plenty of automatic sports cars out there. Those paddle shifting ferrari's might as well be automatics, same with the M3 paddle shifters.

Either way, i've driven both and bothy have their plus and minus
Old 07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
coz

I enjoy my MT traffic or no.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:12 PM
gsazabi

I have MT with racing clutch. No problem here since I don't commute on 5 or 405.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
rkd350z

if you are not going to take freeway 5, its all kool. if you do, maybe i'll think about AT. personally I have MT in Socal though. and only traffic that bugs me is freeway traffic.
also,
Z is the car that fits with MT not AT.
I'll get AT civic daily driver but my Z always will be MT.
I can't stand 5speed these days since I got used to 6 speed..

Last edited by rkd350z; 07-14-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: (SOCAL) AT vs. MT