Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

9/22 G's & Z's Dyno Day and UpRev raffle/demo - Church Automotive Testing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:16 PM
evil_tt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is still in the shop so Im out
Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah... So is mine. It may not be ready for another week.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
ping350z

Thanks Shawn and the guys from Church, the Osiris tuning software is B*tchin, I'll def be back for that. My numbers were desent for being a stock Z other than the CAI, can't wait too see the numbers when I get my Vortech kit

Last edited by ping350z; 09-22-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:38 AM
SergEK

As always Shawn hosts another great dyno day

While I attended to watch the demo for the OSIRIS I was pleasantly surprised with another great product --- Throttle Body Spacer!

I was a bit skeptical but after seeing Shawn G equipped with one I had to try it.....13 more hp at peak 6300rpm!

Best of all the part it self was purchased NEW for $87 installed! Big thanks to NISSAN SPORT MAGAZINE! Stickers are on the car! lol

To say I was shocked is an understatement as I expected maybe 5hp or so (which for the price would be nice)

My graph was higher above 5000 and on and avg hp was improved throughout the powerband. I will try to post my to graph later to show --- wow

My car was still running pretty rich (hits high 11's a/f) which has me excited to be tuned with Shawn and the OSIRIS package....with the ability to tune cam timing, air/fuel mixture and ignition timing I feel there is still a few ponies left on the table with just stock parts --- the numbers look a little high to dynojet people but I figure they may be inflated by 5% so doing some math I figure right around 266whp on a dyno jet at peak whereas it was 254whp or so with the pop charger...again an estimate but they seem to fall inline with other rev-ups....I couldnt care less as probably all my pulls will be at Church Auto for repeatability

600 including a tune seems like a steal....especially with the COSWORTH intake arriving soon (First week of Oct IMO) Which will need a bumo in rev limtter and cam timing to be fully optomized....who better to tinker with that than Shawn

Had a great time talking with everyone and hopefulle next time it wont rain! lol And maybe we can all grab some grub after all the pulls

Sorry for the phone pic...you can see the gain from 5000 rpm on

Last edited by SergEK; 09-23-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 AM
RedondoG

who won the raffle?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedondoG
who won the raffle?
vlad the guy with the black sedan.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

SergEK,

I agree that Shawn is a class act and runs great dyno days.

If memory serves me correctly your Z now has the current TB spacer HP record at 13HP. This is more than Shawn's results and the other Z that dynoed 9HP and 5lb-ft torque with the TB spacer.

Last edited by DaveO; 09-23-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Nastyboy

What brand is the TB? And where do I get it for that price?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
OCG35
Banned

^^^ Designed Chaos - I am organizing a group buy on G35Driver... tried to notify the Z crowd in the Engine & Drivetrain section but there wasn't much interest... even though it has been installed on several Z's with good results…. Many Gs have it with good results.

Last edited by OCG35; 09-23-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:26 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by DaveO
SergEK,

I agree that Shawn is a class act and runs great dyno days.

If memory serves me correctly your Z now has the current TB spacer HP record at 13HP. This is more than Shawn's results and the other Z that dynoed 9HP and 5lb-ft torque with the TB spacer.

I was very happpy with the results and even if it made 5whp I would still declare it MUST for all VQ owners....simply a great product for a great price!

Again it may not make this kind of power on all Z's but I think my revup runs really rich and it leaned it out a bit and unleashed some ponies....BIG THANKS to you for having this on hand for us at Shawn's....I love dyno days!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dammit how did I miss this..............next time I guess.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
MEECHIN

great to see everyone there.

i had to cut out at 3 to get back to the shop before 4.

always a pleasure to be at Shawn's shop.
Shawn is top notch in my books.
A great guy all around and knows his stuff when it comes to tuning.

Tuning 1500 cars a year CAN'T BE WRONG!!!!

I'll be over there soon to get my car tuned with the UpRev.

-DRU
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Zazoozle

Thanks Shawn, for an awesome Dyno Day!

This was my first one, and it was really a great experience. Everyone was so nice and helpful, and Shawn's team was so professional.

I also would highly recommend the TB Spacer - thanks Dave! I am so happy with it, and like many, I'm certainly never taking it off!

-Melissa
Old 09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
ssnake86

I had a great time at Church Automotive on saturday! Shawn is a great guy and stayed ultra late for me to get done installing my 5/16th ISo thermal Plenium spacer and TB spacer courtesy of DaveO so we could dyno it. I highly recommend anyone to Shawn Church for dynoing tuning! Props to DaveO as well for installing my plenium and TB spacer as well

Now on to the bad news...I wasnt nearly as successfull as Melissa or Sergio were with there TB spacers.

My first baseline pull was 257hp, and then got 2 more pulls of 257, and then one pull of 264 after cooling down the plenium with water.

The very first pull with the TB spacer AND the plenium was 261hp, a messely 4hp gain! After cooling it down with water, we pulled 268. We did about 5 more runs. 268, 268, 265, 268, and then 268 again. We didnt cool it down with water on any of these runs, just let it idle inbetween runs.

So is this a 4hp gain or a 11hp gain? One thing thats forsure is the car is very consistent with 268 and runs much cooler, most likely courtesy of that Iso thermal gasket.

Now the plenium spacer alone is supposed to at least give 10 hp, and from everything Ive read its very very consisnt with that. So I'm going to assume all my gains are from the plenium and not the throttle body spacer. Hopefully the TB spacer didnt cause me to loose any hp.

One thing I noticed was with Sergio and Melissa they both had popchargers, I did not. I think they were both rev-up engines as well(sergio was for sure, not to sure about Melissa though.) Maybe I will get more out of this little bumble bee mod once I get my popcharger on there. Maybe DaveO can chime in and say wether or not an intake has shown any signifigant impact on the way the TB spacer performes.

I'll be back up to chruch Automotive to have my car Osiris tuned and dynoed with the intake, HKS exhaust, and RT HFCs in a couple of weeks, so we'll see then. Hoping to pull at least 295-300hp on the dynapack.

Last edited by ssnake86; 09-24-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
ssnake86

Sergio are you comparing your hot baseline run to the run your cooled pull with the TBS? I thought you told me you gained like 5hp...not 13...

Originally Posted by SergEK
As always Shawn hosts another great dyno day

While I attended to watch the demo for the OSIRIS I was pleasantly surprised with another great product --- Throttle Body Spacer!

I was a bit skeptical but after seeing Shawn G equipped with one I had to try it.....13 more hp at peak 6300rpm!

Best of all the part it self was purchased NEW for $87 installed! Big thanks to NISSAN SPORT MAGAZINE! Stickers are on the car! lol

To say I was shocked is an understatement as I expected maybe 5hp or so (which for the price would be nice)

My graph was higher above 5000 and on and avg hp was improved throughout the powerband. I will try to post my to graph later to show --- wow

My car was still running pretty rich (hits high 11's a/f) which has me excited to be tuned with Shawn and the OSIRIS package....with the ability to tune cam timing, air/fuel mixture and ignition timing I feel there is still a few ponies left on the table with just stock parts --- the numbers look a little high to dynojet people but I figure they may be inflated by 5% so doing some math I figure right around 266whp on a dyno jet at peak whereas it was 254whp or so with the pop charger...again an estimate but they seem to fall inline with other rev-ups....I couldnt care less as probably all my pulls will be at Church Auto for repeatability

600 including a tune seems like a steal....especially with the COSWORTH intake arriving soon (First week of Oct IMO) Which will need a bumo in rev limtter and cam timing to be fully optomized....who better to tinker with that than Shawn

Had a great time talking with everyone and hopefulle next time it wont rain! lol And maybe we can all grab some grub after all the pulls

Sorry for the phone pic...you can see the gain from 5000 rpm on
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Zazoozle

Originally Posted by ssnake86
One thing I noticed was with Sergio and Melissa they both had popchargers, I did not. I think they were both rev-up engines as well(sergio was for sure, not to sure about Melissa though.)
My 05 Zr enthusiast is Non-revup ...And yes, my only other engine mod was a popcharger until I got the TB spacer. I had 263.1 with just the JWT, and got 272.3 after Dave put the TB spacer in.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

I had a great time at Church Automotive on saturday! Shawn is a great guy and stayed ultra late for me to get done installing my 5/16th ISo thermal Plenium spacer and TB spacer courtesy of DaveO so we could dyno it. I highly recommend anyone to Shawn Church for dynoing tuning! Props to DaveO as well for installing my plenium and TB spacer as well

Now on to the bad news...I wasnt nearly as successfull as Melissa or Sergio were with there TB spacers.

My first baseline pull was 257hp, and then got 2 more pulls of 257, and then one pull of 264 after cooling down the plenium with water.

The very first pull with the TB spacer AND the plenium was 261hp, a messely 4hp gain! After cooling it down with water, we pulled 268. We did about 5 more runs. 268, 268, 265, 268, and then 268 again. We didnt cool it down with water on any of these runs, just let it idle inbetween runs.

So is this a 4hp gain or a 11hp gain? One thing thats forsure is the car is very consistent with 268 and runs much cooler, most likely courtesy of that Iso thermal gasket.

Now the plenium spacer alone is supposed to at least give 10 hp, and from everything Ive read its very very consisnt with that. So I'm going to assume all my gains are from the plenium and not the throttle body spacer. Hopefully the TB spacer didnt cause me to loose any hp.

One thing I noticed was with Sergio and Melissa they both had popchargers, I did not. I think they were both rev-up engines as well(sergio was for sure, not to sure about Melissa though.) Maybe I will get more out of this little bumble bee mod once I get my popcharger on there. Maybe DaveO can chime in and say wether or not an intake has shown any signifigant impact on the way the TB spacer performes.

I'll be back up to chruch Automotive to have my car Osiris tuned and dynoed with the intake, HKS exhaust, and RT HFCs in a couple of weeks, so we'll see then. Hoping to pull at least 295-300hp on the dynapack.
ssnake86,

Is your Z an 04 or 04.5?
What other mods do you now have?
What did your AF chart look like?
Has your Z's throttle response and/or gas mileage improved once you've put a hundred miles on it?

From my limited observations there appears to be some correlation between high air flow rates and the throttle body spacer--as well as the MD spacers.

Last edited by DaveO; 09-24-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
ssnake86

Originally Posted by DaveO
ssnake86,

Is your Z an 04 or 04.5?
What other mods do you now have?
What did your AF chart look like?
Has your Z's throttle response and/or gas mileage improved once you've put a hundred miles on it?

From my limited observations there appears to be some correlation between high air flow rates and the throttle body spacer--as well as the MD spacers.
i'm pretty sure its a 4.5. The vin is E**T**061131, or something like that. I can go out to the car and look if nessesary. What difference would this make?

My AF is 1-1.5 points above where it should be. It was at like 15 or 15.5, but shawn said that dyno reads 1 point high. Before putting the MD spacer and TBS on the A/F went down to 14.5 at 2k rpm from 15.5, and then went back up to 15.5 at about 3.5k rpm. After putting the mods on it was at 15.5 across the board untill 6,000rpms and went down to 14.5.

It was bone stock. Remember my car was bone stock before you/we installed the plenium spacer and TBS? I am talking to the same dave right?

I havent noticed any difference in throttle response or gas mileage.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
DaveO
Sponsor

i'm pretty sure its a 4.5. The vin is E**T**061131, or something like that. I can go out to the car and look if nessesary. What difference would this make?

My AF is 1-1.5 points above where it should be. It was at like 15 or 15.5, but shawn said that dyno reads 1 point high. Before putting the MD spacer and TBS on the A/F went down to 14.5 at 2k rpm from 15.5, and then went back up to 15.5 at about 3.5k rpm. After putting the mods on it was at 15.5 across the board untill 6,000rpms and went down to 14.5.

It was bone stock. Remember my car was bone stock before you/we installed the plenium spacer and TBS? I am talking to the same dave right?

I havent noticed any difference in throttle response or gas mileage.
Same Dave! I thought I remembered your Z was stock before we installed the spacers. The 04.5 VQ engines changed to ULEV (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles). As you suspect, you're probably running lean and need to tune the ECM to get the gains from the spacers.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 AM
OCG35
Banned

If anyone is interested in the Throttle Body Spacer mentioned in this thread, it is on G35Driver in the "Review" section under Engine and Drivertrain.

Quick Reply: 9/22 G's & Z's Dyno Day and UpRev raffle/demo - Church Automotive Testing