Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

I almost died tonight in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:04 AM
rodney35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol karma..
Old 09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
ReV74

+1 Karma.....now every time you pass an accident say in your head, " I hope their OK"
Old 09-22-2007, 11:30 AM
wynd d z33

say your prayers every night now ..... glad you and your car are ok

lastnight i was sh*i*t*ting on my friends rsx with semi good azenis' s*h*it was unstable but never lost control
Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM
r_seng

glad your ok. but remember, karma can be a b*tch!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Dozer

Glad everything worked out... It was pouring and dangerous last nite... saw 5 wrecks on the way home from Santa Clarita. I broke loose in 3rd getting on the on-ramp (TCS helped) and did a lil hydro-planing in the #1 lane on the 5... Be careful out there and drive safe.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Shiftwell

Thanx again everybody. I'm gonna get new tires for sure, I new more grip. As for karma I'll never make fun of a serious accident again. I can't get that whole moment out of my head, it was like a scene from a Die Hard movie.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Tubbs

The Flying Spaghetti Monster was looking after you, it seems.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you're ok man.... took me half an hour to drive home from a friend's house last night when it usually takes me less than 10 mins, cuz i know it's almost time for new tires and didn't want to risk the freeway.. kept it under 40 on the streets and was fine.

i'm waiting for the slew of 'i totalled my z' posts this winter.. and it's not just socal drivers who can't drive in the rain, it's also the people who live in snowy areas.. tsk tsk.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Blazemaster

Does anyone here have any experience with the Varis Air Duct? After driving in the rain for the first time since I've had it installed, I feel that my car has been a lot more sluggish today. I've heard people say that the duct does not allow water to get into the intake, and seen many people with it on their Z.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 PM
r_seng

04 base here. i was at life plaza last night when it started to rain. then all of a sudden i get flashbacks of all the "totaled my Z in rain" threads, scared the living chit outta me. drove home 15 below the limit the whole way.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL

Originally Posted by oneDIRTYz
glad you're ok man.... took me half an hour to drive home from a friend's house last night when it usually takes me less than 10 mins, cuz i know it's almost time for new tires and didn't want to risk the freeway.. kept it under 40 on the streets and was fine.

i'm waiting for the slew of 'i totalled my z' posts this winter.. and it's not just socal drivers who can't drive in the rain, it's also the people who live in snowy areas.. tsk tsk.
+1 I remember that last year...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by monokuroboo
+1 I remember that last year...
you should see all the people on s2ki. A car thats prone to oversteer plus dry weather tires equals problems. I still miss my s2000 though. The z's handling doesnt compare
Old 09-23-2007, 12:29 AM
evil_tt
Banned

Damn man, glad to hear you came up on top. I remember when I was a kid and my mom was so scared driving me home from school in the rain cause she'd hydroplain in the van.....and to this day It scares me some times when you feel your stearing wheels jiggle really fast when it hydroplains over puddles on the free way
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 AM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju

wow...a "brown trousers" moment...

good to hear you're ok.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Kal_El

Originally Posted by ReV74
+1 Karma.....now every time you pass an accident say in your head, " I hope their OK"
+1, and sincerely mean it!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 AM
jaspendlove

Glad that everything turned out all right. In the winters on snowy days, I will go out in my other car and start to spin out so I can keep all the training fresh in my mind. So when something like what happened to you, happens to me, I can take control of it
Old 09-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

February 17, 2005 - Thursday

"Lesson learned the hard way,"i almost died last friday

most people hardly learn until its too late, our system of life is usually based on "Trial and error" and "monkey see monkey do", that actually happened on the 11th of February just last week. WE all know that the Toyota Supra just isnt a good car to drive in the rain but i really had no choice because im very impatient, i think i learned a new sense of being patient from now on. Despite various warning from my brother Mike, I was driving our pride and joy which yields over 400 horsepower *untuned* in the rain like a normal car, hey i figured its going to be traffic on the way home from irvine to glendale and the tires got at least 80-90
thread on them. While being stuck in traffic for so damn long almost 2 hours, I decided to bump my music and just drive. Anyway as i hit the 2 GLendale freeway interchange from the 5 it starts to clear up and i know this freeway like that back of my hand, this is where alot of previous victories from street racing occured. So im driving normal actually hit anywhere between 50-75 mph in the rain, it wasnt pouring so much but i noticed i was leaving traffic behind. Just an exit away from home i lane changed about 60 mph and the car started to hydroplane uncontrolably to the right, being that the Toyota Supra is rear wheel drive with alot of horse power i downshifted instead of breaking steering into the direction of the slide, i started to do a 360 in the rain and at full speed headed towards the center divider, i downshifted to 3rd this time and countersteered away from the center divider heart pounding and cussing at the same time... the car still hasnt come to a halt and another full 360 took place and i down shifted to 2nd gear and by the time the car stopped i was facing traffic head on. Everything went in slow motion and by the time i stopped spinning the whole freeway stopped for mewe were just facing each other at around 7:30 pm on a friday night where there were alot of cars. I manage to kinda start the car and drive my dumb *** home feeling stupid and lucky at the same time, I know God had my back that time and it did totally bring a wake up call to me. I have a detachable steering wheel meaning no AIRBAG and i have a jimmy rigged sparco harness not a regular seat belt on a stock chair.. chances of me surviving were very slim but i managed to pull through, you may have good tires, or be a heck of a good driver but conditions and your surroundings might get the better of you. Thanks God my foolish self a lesson, you bet i was in church on time the next day.

taken from my myspace blog...

FR's arent the greatest cars in the rain and depending on your tire setup and your speed also consider the road surface conditions you can be in for one hell of a ride

now i usually dont punch it pass 60 in the rain and avoid using my Z if possible

BTW i had over 85% threadlife on my HANKOOK/ Ventus tires on the Supra so the thread life was there...

glad youre okay though bro
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Originally Posted by Blazemaster
Does anyone here have any experience with the Varis Air Duct? After driving in the rain for the first time since I've had it installed, I feel that my car has been a lot more sluggish today. I've heard people say that the duct does not allow water to get into the intake, and seen many people with it on their Z.

i have the Varis airduct connected to a dryer house that just rams into my airfilter, i usually point the dryer house down in the rain but im sure rain does get in there a bit but for your car to even suck up rain you gotta honestly submerge that b*tch in water so its not a huge possibility....

maybe your airfilter is just dirty, having a fresh clean one does make a pretty good difference
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
diwun67

I lost it in the rain earlier this summer except I got t-boned while I was sideways by a lady whose lane I slid into I was only doing 30mph, I shift to 3rd and the tires just broke lose and INSTANTLY spun around. It had just started pouring too...
Originally Posted by John
The 350Z is a VERY stable car in the wet - so there's very little excuses to be had...
I would think the short wheelbase makes it tail-happy
Originally Posted by Zilvia
God always checks a cocky ****.......
+1
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
ColecatZ

I had the same thing happen, caused by bad tires. Negative camber smoothed the insides while tread was still decent on the outs.

I wasn't as fortunate and clipped a guardrail but concidered that luck being that I was in traffic at about 50mph and made 2 full rotations.

Sad thing was I had 2 new 285's in the garage fixing to go on..

Glad you are OK and noone was hurt.

Quick Reply: I almost died tonight in the rain