Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

12/2/07: Nissan Performance Festival

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 PM
SoCalTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T4T07 Update 10/23:

1) We want to thank the following sponsors who recently signed on to make T4T07 special for everyone:

MagnaFlow - 1 free catback exhaust for any car, except diesel or vettes
Vision Autosport of Hacienda Heights - Parts for raffle!
Street Image of Baldwin Park - Parts for raffle!

2) We've had a lot of questions in regards to the Autocross:

The autocross course will be set in an infield parking lot at California
Speedway and will be designed as much as possible to SCCA standards by an
experienced course designer. Course length will be approximately 35-40
seconds with a top speed of 50-60 mph. It would be comparable to a Pro Solo
course. Drivers can expect to get 10+ runs on the course. A timing system will be also be in place.
Autocross is $80. A helmet is required; motorcycle helmets are acceptable.

3) High Performance Driving Experience, or HPDE, aka TRACK aka ROVAL
Yes, you can drive your car on the racetrack. Here is what the course looks like:

Medium size groups of 35 cars get four 20 minute runs for $195
Smaller groups of 30 cars get will have five 24 minute runs for $295.
Price includes ride-alongs, classroom training, and all you can stomach autocross/time attack
competition. It doesn't sound like a lot of time, but you will be exhausted by the end of the day, guaranteed!

You need a SNELL approved helmet to run on the track, and rentals are available (please note in the comments during registration if you will need one (they run around $20)

4) Speed Ventures, our track/autocross partner will also be providing every T4T07 car show participant a $25 gift certificate good for a future Speed Ventures track event.

5) Please note that Paypal has been experiencing slow response times, so it may take 30 seconds to a minute or so for the checkout process to finalize. Please be patient, and don't abandon your session! We do track the info as it is entered, so we will contact anyone that looks like they had a problem. If you do not want to use PayPal, you can go through the whole registration process, entering up to 10 cars, and then mail us a check. Just stop by our forum with any questions. Checks can be made payable to: Team Transport and sent to 19745 Colima Rd, #205 Rowland Heights, CA 91748

(note: paypal seems to be working fine now!)

Last edited by SoCalTed; 10-26-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Paulie35th350z

Alright! I cant wait for this event! Should be fun! I just wish I had better rims for track so I can show my car too. Rotas , but oh well. Although the CaliSpeedway is not really as fun as Buttonwillow, Id still be in any track event thats held here since it is only 10mins away from my house

Originally Posted by Fooshe
See ya there paulie....this time, keep your side skirts on!
See you there. I saw your name on this upcoming speedventures event this Sunday 10/28 Ill see you there too. what do you mean keep the side skirts on?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paulie, I think he is good naturedly ribbing you to stay on the asphalt. A little excursion into the grass and dirt, or riding over some of the striped curbing in a couple of the turns out there could take the aftermarket body panels under the doors right off the car. I am just guessing of course. Sort of like "keep the shiny side up"!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Justin@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
yeah you can pick up an open face helmet pretty cheap.
i might actually go to this, sounds like fun

justin, think we can get alex to go? should help my laptimes alot...
Im trying to get Alex to come out. Im hoping I have a running race car by then as well
Old 10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
pimpin714style

Subscribing
Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Paulie35th350z

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Paulie, I think he is good naturedly ribbing you to stay on the asphalt. A little excursion into the grass and dirt, or riding over some of the striped curbing in a couple of the turns out there could take the aftermarket body panels under the doors right off the car. I am just guessing of course. Sort of like "keep the shiny side up"!
Thats what I thought so too before, but he said "... this time, keep the side skirts on.." I think he has seen a yellow Z before at the track and he might have mistaken me for that one because I havent really tracked the car without the kit on. Have had a few OTEs (not looking forward to more though).

Ed, I invited Steve Mitchell to come hopefully he'd bring his M-Workz Z when I was getting my alignment (new more aggressive camber settings) from him yesterday. With your USCC AWD G35 TT and Scott and Mike's RA Double down Z, this event will be LOTS of fun! This time Im gonna take LOTS of pics See you there!

P.S. Do you know or does anyone know if Cali Speedway offer tire shaving? Kinda wanna shave my NT01 for this Saturday's event.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by Justin@WestCovinaNissan
Im trying to get Alex to come out. Im hoping I have a running race car by then as well
i think i can get alex to come, weve been talking about him helping me get more grip experience for a while

we should get them to switch the auto-x out for drifting so we can have real fun, or both, who cares about the car show
Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be there fighting with Scott over who gets to drive the time attack car! Should be a fun event. Might just have to bring our time attack Evo as well so Scott and I have something to switch off between as long as you guys promise not to gang up on the outsider Mitsubishi .

Should be a fun, laid back way to celebrate the end of a crazy racing season and an opportunity to spend everybody's Christmas present money on my entry fee.

Last edited by SinCity350Z; 10-25-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by Paulie35th350z
Thats what I thought so too before, but he said "... this time, keep the side skirts on.." I think he has seen a yellow Z before at the track and he might have mistaken me for that one because I havent really tracked the car without the kit on. Have had a few OTEs (not looking forward to more though).

Ed, I invited Steve Mitchell to come hopefully he'd bring his M-Workz Z when I was getting my alignment (new more aggressive camber settings) from him yesterday. With your USCC AWD G35 TT and Scott and Mike's RA Double down Z, this event will be LOTS of fun! This time Im gonna take LOTS of pics See you there!

P.S. Do you know or does anyone know if Cali Speedway offer tire shaving? Kinda wanna shave my NT01 for this Saturday's event.
Jacko Luong is likely to bring his GT-R34 that was in the USCC, so with Mike B's monster Z, possibly the Evo, and Steve's great M-Workz Z we have the makings of a "corral" of fire breathers for the fans to oogle. I will pop an email to Steve Ruiz and ask if he could bring his supercharged StopTech Z06 which was also a top performer at the USCC.

I don't think that Cal Speedway has a shop that shaves the tires. Usually you arrange that when you buy them through a speedshop or distributor. Normally, unless you are going to be racing in competition, you don't need to shave them for HPDE days. You will get precious little use anyway on a heavy car like the Z. Just watch the number of heat cycles and break them in on HPDE track days, then put them aside for the couple of weeks before you are going to use them. That way you get the tread depth down where you want it....while having fun with them!!!! Furthermore, the unique wide tread block design on the Nittos gives a lot of dry condition grip even with full tread, compared to many other makes when new. Indeed, while the RA-1 from parent company Toyo is often a preferred wet weather rain tire, the Nitto NT-01 is horrendous in the wet, precisely because of those blocks.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
SoCalTed

Originally Posted by ihatethatbobbarker
we should get them to switch the auto-x out for drifting so we can have real fun, or both, who cares about the car show
Cali doesn't want any drifting or burn out contests.. they don't like the mess in their parking lots. We wouldn't be welcomed back, and the clean-up bill is pretty horrendous.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

Originally Posted by SoCalTed
Cali doesn't want any drifting or burn out contests.. they don't like the mess in their parking lots. We wouldn't be welcomed back, and the clean-up bill is pretty horrendous.
yeah, new owner sucks, cal speedway useto be so nice for drift events.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 AM
SoCalTed

just a reminder to everyone to remember to bring a new unwrapped toy worth at least $10 for the Toys for Tots Foundation (track, autocross or show)

Cheers, Ted
Old 10-26-2007, 04:57 PM
idrmofs7

so i may not beable to make this event due to my military duties **** i really want to go and want to sign up but not sure if i will be able to get my money back or not! if i for somereason have to bail out due to military reasons?! Any insight?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:50 AM
DaveO
Sponsor

It looks like there's going to be a great turnout for the race car events.

Don't forget the Toy4Tots Charity Car Show. We need a great turnout of Zs for the car show as well. I don't know why more Z owners don't show their rides. I see so many great Zs out there that fit the near stock or mildly modified class. I'd sure like to see a big group of really clean mildly modified daily driven Zs entered and judged at this car show.

Remember in addition to the normal series of trophies, there's the Nissan Sport Editor's Choice Nissan trophy, the Nissan Sport Editor's Choice Datsun trophy, the Sweepstakes trophy, and the race car trophies.

Besides all this, when you enter in the car show you'll have a prime--no door dings--parking spot next to the garages and the race car action. If you're racing we'll find you or you'll be able to park in Race Car Coral with easy access and egress.

And don't forget Nissan Sport will be checking out the mildly and heavily modified Nissans / Datsuns / Infinitis for potential use in our magazine or on our website. That probably won't happen if you're not in the show.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Eagle1

Smile

Originally Posted by idrmofs7
so i may not beable to make this event due to my military duties **** i really want to go and want to sign up but not sure if i will be able to get my money back or not! if i for somereason have to bail out due to military reasons?! Any insight?
I think that this is going to be a very heavily subscribed event. That can be good news in this situation, because a replacement can be quickly found. The Cal Speedway run with the Roval is typically one of the hottest tickets around for the HPDE people, because one does not get many opportunities in a given year to run it. The advanced and high intermediate run groups are almost always a sellout, and quickly. The low intermediates also run strong, and I know that there is very high interest already (one of them is already totally sold out for one day on this event!!!!!) But the first timer or beginner groups sign ups (folks with five or fewer times on track day experiences) always tend to be low in numbers and a greater challenge to fill up. There are a lot of reasons for this, anxiety and general lack of information and understanding about HPDE being a significant one. So low turnout and participation is a real issue. Given the huge cost of renting a track like Cal Speedway, the insurance, corner workers, fire truck and crew, ambulance and paramedics crew, tow truck and crew, security team, etc......every space for a driver/car is important. One cannot have an oversubscription and just put the cars on the track. It is absolutely limited to set numbers for safety and fun for the number of cars on the track at any one session. Since there are practical limits to how much money one may charge and still have people come....it is a tight window to make it work financially.

It is not my money to give away, so you have to just send an email to Aaron at this address: Aaron@speedventures.com and ask him directly about whether he would be willing to flex on the cancellation policy for this special circumstance you have due to military duty obligations. My guess is he can work something out for you as long as you can give him enough notice for him to call someone on a wait list and get them to take your place. If you get notice for duty a day or two in advance, you may be ok as a special exemption due to your circumstances. I don't think he can do this as a regular exercise or he would never know who was coming or not.

Everyone should remember, this particular event is putting very special emphasis on the "first timer" experience, and safety safety safety. It is going to be a very focused HPDE day courtesy of Nissan Sport Magazine, who has teamed up with Speedventures to deliver an intensive teaching program, two + hours worth in the classroom in the morning, in a respectful and comfortable set up.

Every "newbie" is going to then have an assigned instructor for riding shotgun with them for four on track sessions and in car guidance. Twenty minutes each session. Plus opportunities to themselves ride next to instructors in their cars when they get track time in the advanced "Red" racing group...which will be quite an adrenaline surge. (Let's be real here folks....a lot of people would pay more money than this course costs just to get a chance to ride with some of these instructors a couple of times! A twenty minute session on this track in a fast car with an expert driver is pretty comparable to a non stop twenty minute roller coaster ride....like ten times through the coaster without ever waiting in line or stopping at the station!!! Watch what you have for breakfast.) Nobody will need to feel intimidated by the image of teeming throngs of experienced racers speaking jargon and code and being impatient. To the contrary, this is an event where the advanced drivers are showing up with the specific intent of helping the newcomers have a great introduction, and to raise money and toys for underprivileged kids through the Toys 4 Tots program with the US Marines, part of the Team Transport annual (fourth year now!) charity program and car show.

We just want to get fifteen or twenty prospective enthusiasts to participate. We will have Nissan Sport Magazine folks there taking pictures and probably doing a few interviews for articles with the first times too, so please wear a clean shirt and comb your hair in the morning. :-)

And we already have some "hot shoe" gals that have signed up for this, which really makes me happy. I can share with you that about ten years ago my mother, who was 70 at the time, took a racing school course at Russell Racing up in Sonoma. And pulled the fastest lap times in the group she was with, all of whom were at least twenty years younger, and some forty years younger. Anybody can come out and have a good experience, as long as they are healthy, fit and have good eyesight and judgment. If not now...when?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:05 AM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great event coming up. I've always wanted to track my car, the layout looks fun too!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 AM
SoCalTed

Originally Posted by idrmofs7
If you need to cancel for military duties, I will refund your $$.

edited.... if registered for the car show. Aaron would most likely work with you on the track side, but you'd need to talk with him per Eagle's post.

Last edited by SoCalTed; 10-29-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
SoCalTed

Where can you go and see a Ferrari F430 & 360 run amidst a pack of Z06's, BMW M's, Audi RS4, three flavors of Porsche and 3 of the top 5 Ultimate Sport Compact Challenge cars? Maybe you'd rather see how a tricked out Cobra does vs a GT500 and a Cadillac CTS-V? Then you need to check out the High Performance Driving Experience at the 4th Annual Toys for Tots Charity Car Show. Domestic, German, Italian, Japanese, all learning how to put their supercars through it's paces.

T4T07 would like to welcome Valley-Hi Nissan as our Family Fun Zone sponsor! Thanks to Ness Cohen at Valley-Hi, there will be a 4 kiddie bouncers, including a 5-in-1 combo slide/basketball jumper, inflatable boxing, a velcro wall, a 43' slide and the Dino K2 Challenge (a 22 ft. tall / 30 ft. long /15 ft. wide obstacle course with climbing wall for all ages!!) Valley-Hi Nissan has also confirmed that Santa will be there for photos and Christmas wishes. Santa's helpers will also be there & more than happy to take pictures with daddy.

There's just over two weeks left for registration, so get your cars into the last show of the year! New categories created as registration grows. From stock to wild, there's a category for you!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
idrmofs7

thanks guys for the imput!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I'm in.

Quick Reply: 12/2/07: Nissan Performance Festival