Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Anyone have suggestions on getaways to Catalina Island?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have suggestions on getaways to Catalina Island?

Planning on taking my fiancee there for a few days over XMas. Who has been there and where do you recommend on staying? Suggestions on things to do?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
LAKERSFAN

i would think it would be better to go in the summertime but,

things to do:

scuba diving
snorkeling - and feed the fish
horseback riding
renting a golf cart to just cruise the island
drinking

im sure there are other things im missing. ive only been twice.

have fun!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
SoCalTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are mostly closed for the winter now. You won't find much to do at Cataline... plus you'll be bored 14 hours after you get there, if you plan on leaving your room.

I'd recommend getting away to SD or even heading up to the Bay Area. There's a nice little place in Sausalito called "The Inn Above Tide". Each room has a fireplace and private balcony hanging a few feet above the bay and its probably the only place on the West Coast that you can watch a sunrise over the ocean.

Day 1, go into SF across the Golden Gate for dinner.
Day 2, take the 12 through Sonoma and either stay in Sonoma, or continue on to Infineon... I mean Napa for some tasting. about a 45m drive.

Cheers, Ted
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
John

Originally Posted by SoCalTed
They are mostly closed for the winter now. You won't find much to do at Cataline... plus you'll be bored 14 hours after you get there, if you plan on leaving your room.

I'd recommend getting away to SD or even heading up to the Bay Area. There's a nice little place in Sausalito called "The Inn Above Tide". Each room has a fireplace and private balcony hanging a few feet above the bay and its probably the only place on the West Coast that you can watch a sunrise over the ocean.

Day 1, go into SF across the Golden Gate for dinner.
Day 2, take the 12 through Sonoma and either stay in Sonoma, or continue on to Infineon... I mean Napa for some tasting. about a 45m drive.

Cheers, Ted
Wow, that little to do there? I was under the impression there were a lot of places to hike, off-road, kayak, etc.

But I'm open to other suggestions - Bay Area is nice, but it being over XMas, not sure how much will be open up in Napa. Maybe we'll do something in the Central Coast...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:45 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

John,

I took an ex-GF to Catalina some years ago. While I didn't really research much beforehand, I'd have to agree with Ted. I didn't see the appeal. I scuba dive but she didn't so we skipped that. I'm sure that would have added some fun. Could have Kayak'd too but she gets seasick watching an aquarium so we passed on that. We took the tram tour..... It was ok. There just isn't really that much to see.

On the plus side, we took a helicopter there and back. That was fun.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went there with my ex....it's cool and all, but I wouldn't want to stay there for more than one night. It's a really small place
Old 11-20-2007, 06:54 AM
SoCalTed

It's not that there isn't anything to do there, during the SUMMER. It's just that Catalina is now hibernating for the winter. all the shops are mostly closed and everyone keeps shorter hours. many of the rooms aren't even rented since they don't have the staff to clean them all. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I'm still correct.

Napa at Christmas is like any other time. Christmas DAY, ya, stuff will be closed - as it is mostly everywhere. I lived there for nearly 3 years (in Napa). Just don't do the wine train! If you are only there for one day, I recommend hitting Groth, then Silver Oak (note: closed Sundays) with lunch at Rutherford Grill.. sit outside at the fireplace & bar if it's not uber-cold. Hop across the street to Rubicon (aka Coppola winery), and check out the Tucker from the movie, as well as a beautiful estate.

Finish the afternoon by driving a bit north and taking a tram ride up to Sterling, then finish with dinner at CIA, Greystone.

--or--

plan a little more in advance and make her feel like a VIP. Anderson provides cave tours, Sterling does a VIP tasting, and Merryvale does and awesome tasting on the 2nd Sat of every month - you get to check out the "BIG Barrel" and spit your wine on the floor (actually the drains in the winery, which is acceptable everywhere, but tasting are usually near the gift shop and not the winery)

BTW.. after 3 or 4 tastings, all the talk is the same and there needs to be a history lesson, some interesting architecture or great food or it'll get old quick.

Always call ahead for special offers, tours and HOURS, since many wineries are family owned and can shut down when they want to for the holidays.