Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

tire choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM
918 Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire choice?

im between a few tires right now. im getting in to auto X and going to start tracking the Z so i wanted to get some tires that had some good grip but wouldnt put a whole in my wallet. the wheels are 17x9 +22 all around and tire size is 275/40. the tires im between are the avon tech m500 ($81), the sumitomo htr z3(120/installed) or the general uhp (115). im not looking to spend a lot of money so im trying to choose the best of these 3. all were rated pretty high in dry cornering and traction from tire rack. your help is appreciated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp?removeIndex=1|74WR7HTRZ2&width=275/&ratio=40&diameter=17

for some reason i cant link it. copy paste old gangster way
Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
toyn2time

I got tired of spending an a$$load a few times a year on goodyears, and I tried the General UHP. Gotta say I am impressed. I am not saying they are as good as the Goodyears, but for the money, you can't beat it. One of my good friends bought the Kuhmos and hates them.....just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:56 PM
918 Z

thanks, i ran kumho 712's on my spec-v and hated them. i was considering the spt's but they dont compare for their price. anyone else have experience or know about these tires?
Old 02-09-2008, 04:30 PM
HR Autoparts
Sponsor
HR Autoparts

only kumho i would recommend would be the mx, grip decently, more pricey, and wears out faster is all.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah get the MXs. Relatively cheap and superior to your other choices.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
TimeAttkZ

Falken Azenis rt-615 FTW.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Mike@JTuned

Toyo Proxes R1R blows all tires mentioned out of the water in extreme performance UHP. No question.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 PM
ANXIOUZ

Wait...you're running 275/40's all around?

And the cheapest tires I was seeing for my rears at that size was well into themid $100's.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Toyo tires ftw !!! I am currently running R1R's and these tires are amazing !!!!

If I weren't on these I would be on R888's or RA-1's....

Since they are for track and you have 2 sets of wheels just invest in some Toyo R1R's or R888/RA1s, you won't be sorry
Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 AM
onyxaltezza

Kumho MX's are a great choice. Performed very well for me on the track on my MR2 turbo, running 215/40/17 up front and 255/40/17 in back. Stiff sidewalls, and predictable.

Hankook RS2 are definitely not a bad choice either. And Im eager to try the Falken FK452's. We recently got them on my gf's car and Im impressed. I have heard nothing but good things about the Falkens, so I will be trying those next.

-Aaron
Old 02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
IP Gthreefive

i have toyo RA-1 on my track 17" wheel set and next tires are R888's...
Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
918 Z

thanks for all the suggestions. im getting a price on some mx's and will see where i go from there. if anybody else wants to chime in please do

Last edited by 918 Z; 02-10-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your choice depends on where you wish to get the best performance. The selection between a track/road course tire and an autoX tire is very different.

For the autoX you need a tire that will grip when cold. By the time you can heat up the tire...you are through the course.

By contrast, most of your road course tires will take a lap or more to warm up properly to get the best grip. And you will get greasy on the autoX rubber as they heat up.

And then there is the issue of whether you are going to have these on dedicated track rims, or be driving them on the street.

And finally there is the compromise of cost....how much performance are you going to be comfortable with giving up at the alter of the retail register?

I am not even going to touch upon comfort, ride quality and noise, or wear/durability.

With that in the background, I would highly recommend a set of the Toyo RA-1 or Nitto NT-01 if you want a DOT-R performance tire, and are not going to be running them on the street much, and your preference is leaning to the track/road course, and you want some durability and thus "value" in the ability to have more track days on the tire. They are made by the same company, just different brands. Slightly different approach...the Nitto has stiffer side walls and a quicker modular rebound on corner exit, and wider tread blocks. The plus is a bit better grip in dry weather, but the siping necessary will give a more pronounced "buzz" noise on the road. The Toyo is way better if there is any wet, indeed is often a preferred racing rain tire.....and basically do not drive the Nitto in the rain! And they are light in weight like the Michelin Sport Cups, but a lot cheaper.

IF you want to stick with a street tire, then the Falken and Kumho are pretty good on price. THe Yokohama Advan Sport is grippy, but pricey. However sometimes you can get a good deal if the dealer has them in inventory and wants to unload them. I had a friend go for a set of BFG G-Force TA-KDW NT and the dealer Matched Price with the Yoko's to get them out the door, so not bad. Think of the technique for bargaining up to a better quality set for the same price.

Good luck, have fun, be safe out there!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeAttkZ
Falken Azenis rt-615 FTW.
x2
Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Mike@JTuned

Originally Posted by Eagle1
Your choice depends on where you wish to get the best performance. The selection between a track/road course tire and an autoX tire is very different.

For the autoX you need a tire that will grip when cold. By the time you can heat up the tire...you are through the course.

By contrast, most of your road course tires will take a lap or more to warm up properly to get the best grip. And you will get greasy on the autoX rubber as they heat up.

And then there is the issue of whether you are going to have these on dedicated track rims, or be driving them on the street.

And finally there is the compromise of cost....how much performance are you going to be comfortable with giving up at the alter of the retail register?

I am not even going to touch upon comfort, ride quality and noise, or wear/durability.

With that in the background, I would highly recommend a set of the Toyo RA-1 or Nitto NT-01 if you want a DOT-R performance tire, and are not going to be running them on the street much, and your preference is leaning to the track/road course, and you want some durability and thus "value" in the ability to have more track days on the tire. They are made by the same company, just different brands. Slightly different approach...the Nitto has stiffer side walls and a quicker modular rebound on corner exit, and wider tread blocks. The plus is a bit better grip in dry weather, but the siping necessary will give a more pronounced "buzz" noise on the road. The Toyo is way better if there is any wet, indeed is often a preferred racing rain tire.....and basically do not drive the Nitto in the rain! And they are light in weight like the Michelin Sport Cups, but a lot cheaper.

IF you want to stick with a street tire, then the Falken and Kumho are pretty good on price. THe Yokohama Advan Sport is grippy, but pricey. However sometimes you can get a good deal if the dealer has them in inventory and wants to unload them. I had a friend go for a set of BFG G-Force TA-KDW NT and the dealer Matched Price with the Yoko's to get them out the door, so not bad. Think of the technique for bargaining up to a better quality set for the same price.

Good luck, have fun, be safe out there!
The RA-1 is an older DOT-R, whereas the new Proxes R888 is the newly designed DOT-R and it's already proving to be hard to beat in competition.

The Proxes R1R will be THE street tire to beat in the extreme performance UHP catagory (140 - 200 UTQG) . The RT615's and BFG KDW's DO NOT compare whatsoever.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
ppw350Zunit

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
x2
+3
Old 02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike@JTuned
The Proxes R1R will be THE street tire to beat in the extreme performance UHP catagory (140 - 200 UTQG) .
The R1Rs are likely great tires, but there are a lot of quality tires in this segment, so I'm wondering how you can say it will be "the street tire."

I've read some reports where people say the R1Rs are superior to the RE-010Rs and the ADVAN AD07s, but these people were sponsored or affiliated with Toyo in some manner, so their reviews don't hold much weight IMO.