Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Official Socal road KILLs section! (Not rodents... racing!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 02:57 PM
350Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by frenzee
Not a kill story but hopefully worth sharing:

I was totally bored this morning and after listening to my favorite shows (the Car Guys and the Car Show) decided to go out and test drive an STi and an EVO8. Called around a couple of Soob dealer and would you believe it, I got no takers. "Absolutely no test drives allowed" was the line I got. Humm interesting...who in his right mind would buy a…oh never mind. Moving right along, called CM Mitsu and they were OK with me test driving an EVO8 (kudos to them). I told them up front that I wasn't there to buy today so as not to plant false expectations, just wanted to know if there is better bang for the buck compared to my Z and they were fine with that. So anyway, I got to drive the EVO and all I can say in I'm totally underwhelmed. Not exactly the super car everyone touts. Granted I only drove it for probably no more than 3 or 4 miles, my impression is that it is far less car and far lower performance than a Z. For example it came with Brembos but which had smaller calipers and rotors. Came with 17" wheels, not 18’s (I couldn't tell if they were forged) wrapped in Toyos. The ride quality, despite what everyone says, seemed a bit softer than my track Z and cornering stability, although decent, was below that of the Z IMO. Interior was OK for a compact grocery getter but certainly not what I would expect for a $40k car (including an $8k dealer markup if you can believe that). To be fair, it did score high in a few areas. It did have much better seats than the Z and those Toyos are far grippier and better tires than the Potenzas. And the EVO was a definite winner in the interior space department. I can see that you could actually get groceries in this car and take along more than one buddy on road trips. Ah, the good ole days. j/k. Finally it had a real, working, honest to goodbess glove compartnent. Sigh!

My biggest disappointment was in EVO's acceleration. I was expecting some sort of solid rocket boosters to ignite when I pressed that accelerator. Well, it was not to be. Far from it. I know that there was absolutely nothing scientific about this, and I didn’t clock anything, didn’t have a g-meter, etc., etc. (except my butt combo g-meter/dyno), but my honest opinion is that the EVO seemed overall to be slightly slower than my Z in straight line pulls. The problem was that power didn't come on until about 2/3 of the way up the rev range in every gear (hello turbo lag) and when it did finally kick in and only then, it felt about the same level of power as my more or less stock Z. It sure didn't feel like a low-13, high-12 vehicle. Of course, it could be me. I’ve owned a lot of cars in the past but am a neophyte to turbos. I’m sure there is a way to keep the engine revving in the boost zone all or most of the time. It just isn’t how I naturally drive. Also, I didn't really redline the engine with the poor salesman clenching the handlebars next to me (was a nice guy actually) so I could have pushed it harder, but not by much. Now if something magical happens in the last 500 RPM or so then I’ll eat my words and I’ll take this all back, but from what I saw, felt and smelled, the solid booster thing ain’t happening.

For comparison sake, immediately after driving the EVO, I jumped into my Z (with the salesman in tow) and drove the same exact course and tried to maintain similar shift technique, cornering speed, etc. As expected, the Z pulled stronger more uniformly and more predictably throughout the rev band in every gear as we're all used to seeing. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got. In fact I could have pushed the Z quite a bit harder but I have a loud exhaust and didn’t want to get pulled over so I was shifting around 4.5-5k.

So there you have it. That’s how I dealt with my Saturday morning boredom. Now I’ve got to find a way to coax a gullible Soob dealer to let me test drive an STi. More to come, maybe next weekend.
Great Comparison. Will definitely want to hear how the STI compares to the Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:38 AM
rands

i just got blown out by a mustang cobra.

was driving along at a leisurely 90mph on the 10 approaching pch (it's 1am). i pass a cobra cruising at 80. i was not looking to race, just going home. i pass him by a couple of car lengths, then he shoots by me. i stomp on the gas... car goes nowhere... oh yeah, it's in 6th... shift down to 5th. the cobra stopped accelerating and let me catch up, i get next to him, he bursts forward, and the z is not even close to keeping up.

first of all, it was alot of fun. it certainly wasn't a serious race, and i'm not sure he'd even call it a kill since the ride was so short (though it is obvious who would have won). i'm not stupid enough to think i stand a chance against a cobra. but seeing the way he dusted me, that's the kind of thing that makes a man consider getting a twin turbo installed :)
Old 12-03-2003, 07:15 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

i ohpe you went down to 4th gear before racing him
Old 12-03-2003, 02:27 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rands
i just got blown out by a mustang cobra.

was driving along at a leisurely 90mph on the 10 approaching pch (it's 1am). i pass a cobra cruising at 80. i was not looking to race, just going home. i pass him by a couple of car lengths, then he shoots by me. i stomp on the gas... car goes nowhere... oh yeah, it's in 6th... shift down to 5th. the cobra stopped accelerating and let me catch up, i get next to him, he bursts forward, and the z is not even close to keeping up.

first of all, it was alot of fun. it certainly wasn't a serious race, and i'm not sure he'd even call it a kill since the ride was so short (though it is obvious who would have won). i'm not stupid enough to think i stand a chance against a cobra. but seeing the way he dusted me, that's the kind of thing that makes a man consider getting a twin turbo installed
You must have gone up against an SVT. The regular Cobra and the Bullitt and the Roush are about even with the Z althougt the Z will out handle all of them easily, but the SVT is a 4.8 liters and supercharged vehicle (low-mid 12's). I hate to say it, but the 3.5 liter NA Z is no match for it. I wouldn't mess with an SVT or a ZO6 a Viper or a GT2.

If you do come up against a regular Cobra or a GT or a non-turbo Poersche, or non-ZO6 vette, it would be driver's race IMO.

Glad you had fun and drive safe.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:02 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

i dunno about the porsche and the vette, both easily run the Z's best

stock that is
Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
i dunno about the porsche and the vette, both easily run the Z's best

stock that is
Well acceleration isn't everything you know. Porsche's are superbly build cars in just about every respect - about as perfect as a car can be built IMO. I ran up against a black Carrera 2 convetible last nite. Looked like an early 2000's model. He (or she, I couldn't see thru the dark tint) punched it first and I didn't turn down the challenge. It was from a roll (15-20). My front bumber was at his rear bumber the whole way and I was starting to gain on him but he got off onto the freeway onramp and I had to continue straight. Total distance was about 1/8 mile. Hoewver I had the VDC on and it absolutely killed me on the 1>2 shift. If VDC wasn't on and if we had started even, I would have handed him his toosh, easy.

Late model LS1 vettes are mid-13 second and earler 90's and all 80's and earlier ones are mid- to high-14 second cars. A driver's race IMO

http://www.car-videos.com/performanc....asp?dist=1320

Last edited by frenzee; 12-03-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:53 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

ive only raced a carrera 4 and my *** was handed, as for pre c5 vettes, ive watched type R integras beat them...nuff said
Old 12-04-2003, 03:49 PM
joust75

I am waiting to race a carrera 4 since there 0-60 ranges from 5.0 to 5.3 (slower than the 911, because of the extra weight)
My Z is a pretty strong one so I think it would be a good race!

I lined up against an Audi TT twin turbo( the other night with my girl in the car. They have sub 6 sec 0-60 times so I decided to race him despite my girl going "Noooooooo!"
He had no one in the car and I smoked him. Not even a contest. By 80mph I saw him in both mirrors.
That was a good victory because I have seen similar stats for these two cars. Just goes to show you, you should not be a magazine racer.

It feels good to beat a German car thats 10,000 more expensive than yours!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

the TT in audi does not stand for twin turbo
and they are in no way fast cars
sorry to diminish it but the audi tt is my favorite car to mock.
btw love the mods.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:28 PM
joust75

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
the TT in audi does not stand for twin turbo
and they are in no way fast cars
sorry to diminish it but the audi tt is my favorite car to mock.
btw love the mods.
I know TT doesnt stand for twin turbo. It stands for something obscure in german.
That doesnt change the fact that the last TT generation came in two models. 1.8 litre turbo and a 1.8 litre TWIN TURBO. The former having around 180 HP and the latter having 225HP and a large amount of torque available throughout the powerband.

225 is not alot but I have never seen a posted 0 to sixty time of greater than 5.8 seconds with this car,OR a 1/4 mile over 15 sec. so yes actually it is a fast car. Watch out. One of these will give you a run for your money in the G. Now if you want to talk the new V6 or the single turbo then fine you will own it all day but given a good driver the TT might beat a G at the strip... careful.

BTW thanks. i like my mods too
Old 12-04-2003, 09:37 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

the g got sold
Old 12-04-2003, 10:17 PM
AREITU

Originally posted by joust75
That doesnt change the fact that the last TT generation came in two models. 1.8 litre turbo and a 1.8 litre TWIN TURBO. The former having around 180 HP and the latter having 225HP and a large amount of torque available throughout the powerband.

225 is not alot but I have never seen a posted 0 to sixty time of greater than 5.8 seconds with this car,OR a 1/4 mile over 15 sec. so yes actually it is a fast car. Watch out. One of these will give you a run for your money in the G. Now if you want to talk the new V6 or the single turbo then fine you will own it all day but given a good driver the TT might beat a G at the strip... careful.
Given a good driver, 225 horsepower will not outrun 280. You should know that by now.

"All 1.8t engines regardless of engine code and regardless of car have the same block, only the ancillaries differ. The exception to the rule is the audi 225tt that has strenghtened internals and an additional fuel rail." - From the 1.8T FAQ herehttp://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=450388
Old 12-04-2003, 10:20 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

does everyone have that quote from me in their sig now
geez
Old 12-04-2003, 11:51 PM
joust75

Originally posted by AREITU
Given a good driver, 225 horsepower will not outrun 280. You should know that by now.

"All 1.8t engines regardless of engine code and regardless of car have the same block, only the ancillaries differ. The exception to the rule is the audi 225tt that has strenghtened internals and an additional fuel rail." - From the 1.8T FAQ herehttp://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=450388
Given a better driver 225 may outrun 280. The race is not dependent on horsepower, it is dependent on power to weight ratio and other variables. You should know that by now.
I.E. The lotus Elise with 190 HP will own a Z all day.
You should also know not to be a magazine racer by now! After all the BMW 330 w/ sport package has only 235 hp but doesnt have much of a problem gaining a slight edge on the G coupe drag racing

While the G35 does have a slightly better power to weight ratio than the tt twin turbo, given a good driver in the tt and a rookie in the G, I am sorry that G is going down! thats all I am trying to say.

All 1.8t engines regardless of engine code and regardless of car have the same block, only the ancillaries differ. The exception to the rule is the audi 225tt that has strenghtened internals and an additional fuel rail." - From the 1.8T FAQ here
I dont know why you posted this. I know it to be true but you forgot one thing. One block has a single turbo and generates 180 HP, and the other has 2 turbos (biturbo) and generates 225HP

LOL
Attached Thumbnails Official Socal road KILLs section!  (Not rodents...  racing!)-humor-owned.jpg  
Old 12-05-2003, 10:00 AM
AREITU

Given a better driver 225 may outrun 280. The race is not dependent on horsepower, it is dependent on power to weight ratio and other variables. You should know that by now.
I.E. The lotus Elise with 190 HP will own a Z all day. You should also know not to be a magazine racer by now! After all the BMW 330 w/ sport package has only 235 hp but doesnt have much of a problem gaining a slight edge on the G coupe drag racing. While the G35 does have a slightly better power to weight ratio than the tt twin turbo, given a good driver in the tt and a rookie in the G, I am sorry that G is going down! thats all I am trying to say.
You know, the good driver/rookie driver argument is used in every argument like this I've ever seen? Not everyone's a rookie and not everyone is Jack Keebler. I bet my V6 Accord can beat a TT (let's bench race THAT) if it were driven by a good driver and the TT were driven by a BAD driver. I guess riding in a G that had some real top end power all the time has corrupted me into thinking it's a sports car.

Ever noticed how rookies drive the car that you think should be slower? The 1.8T engine is uninspirational in every way except the way it looks on paper.

I dont know why you posted this.
Then read it again.

"All 1.8t engines regardless of engine code and regardless of car have the same block, only the ancillaries differ. The exception to the rule is the audi 225tt that has strenghtened internals and an additional fuel rail." - From www.vwvortex.com 1.8T FAQ

Originally posted by joust75 I know it to be true but you forgot one thing. [/B]
No, YOU forgot one thing. And two others. I took the bit straight off www.vwvortex.com's 1.8T FAQ. You didn't READ it. If you didn, you didn't comprehend it! GIve it another go-over.

"All 1.8t engines regardless of engine code and regardless of car have the same block, only the ancillaries differ. The exception to the rule is the audi 225tt that has strenghtened internals and an additional fuel rail." - From www.vwvortex.com

(Psst. Where does it say it's twin turbo?)

Originally posted by joust75 One block has a single turbo and generates 180 HP, and the other has 2 turbos (biturbo) and generates 225HP [/B]
If you read the tidbit from vwvortex, you'd understand that nowhere in the paragraph does it state the 1.8T Audi TT is twin turbo. I'll make it a lot easier and post the most obvious answer to your misinformation:

http://www.audittcca.com/faq/1048617140

Tell them they're wrong. Please. Send them an e-mail and correct them. They thing the AUdi Tourist Trophy is *gasp* SINGLE TURBO!!11!! Find me a something that specifically states that an Audi TT 1.8T, untouched by a tuner, with four cylinders has twin turbos from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails Official Socal road KILLs section!  (Not rodents...  racing!)-vwbling.jpg  
Old 12-05-2003, 10:07 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

its also over 3200lbs or alot more depending on engine choices, awd= weight so the power/ weight argument may apply to the lotus elise but not the audi TT
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM
joust75

Originally posted by AREITU
You know, the good driver/rookie driver argument is used in every argument like this I've ever seen? Not everyone's a rookie and not everyone is Jack Keebler. I bet my V6 Accord can beat a TT (let's bench race THAT) if it were driven by a good driver and the TT were driven by a BAD driver. I guess riding in a G that had some real top end power all the time has corrupted me into thinking it's a sports car.

You apparently did a google search and took the first paragraph you read to cut and paste here without knowing something about the car. You cant belive everything you read

Yes the Audi tt does come as a bi-turbo. You do the search to find out if you are curious because I dont care either way!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:25 PM
BIGGY

Originally posted by frenzee
Not a kill story but hopefully worth sharing:

I was totally bored this morning and after listening to my favorite shows (the Car Guys and the Car Show) decided to go out and test drive an STi and an EVO8. Called around a couple of Soob dealer and would you believe it, I got no takers. "Absolutely no test drives allowed" was the line I got. Humm interesting...who in his right mind would buy a…oh never mind. Moving right along, called CM Mitsu and they were OK with me test driving an EVO8 (kudos to them). I told them up front that I wasn't there to buy today so as not to plant false expectations, just wanted to know if there is better bang for the buck compared to my Z and they were fine with that. So anyway, I got to drive the EVO and all I can say in I'm totally underwhelmed. Not exactly the super car everyone touts. Granted I only drove it for probably no more than 3 or 4 miles, my impression is that it is far less car and far lower performance than a Z. For example it came with Brembos but which had smaller calipers and rotors. Came with 17" wheels, not 18’s (I couldn't tell if they were forged) wrapped in Toyos. The ride quality, despite what everyone says, seemed a bit softer than my track Z and cornering stability, although decent, was below that of the Z IMO. Interior was OK for a compact grocery getter but certainly not what I would expect for a $40k car (including an $8k dealer markup if you can believe that). To be fair, it did score high in a few areas. It did have much better seats than the Z and those Toyos are far grippier and better tires than the Potenzas. And the EVO was a definite winner in the interior space department. I can see that you could actually get groceries in this car and take along more than one buddy on road trips. Ah, the good ole days. j/k. Finally it had a real, working, honest to goodbess glove compartnent. Sigh!

My biggest disappointment was in EVO's acceleration. I was expecting some sort of solid rocket boosters to ignite when I pressed that accelerator. Well, it was not to be. Far from it. I know that there was absolutely nothing scientific about this, and I didn’t clock anything, didn’t have a g-meter, etc., etc. (except my butt combo g-meter/dyno), but my honest opinion is that the EVO seemed overall to be slightly slower than my Z in straight line pulls. The problem was that power didn't come on until about 2/3 of the way up the rev range in every gear (hello turbo lag) and when it did finally kick in and only then, it felt about the same level of power as my more or less stock Z. It sure didn't feel like a low-13, high-12 vehicle. Of course, it could be me. I’ve owned a lot of cars in the past but am a neophyte to turbos. I’m sure there is a way to keep the engine revving in the boost zone all or most of the time. It just isn’t how I naturally drive. Also, I didn't really redline the engine with the poor salesman clenching the handlebars next to me (was a nice guy actually) so I could have pushed it harder, but not by much. Now if something magical happens in the last 500 RPM or so then I’ll eat my words and I’ll take this all back, but from what I saw, felt and smelled, the solid booster thing ain’t happening.

For comparison sake, immediately after driving the EVO, I jumped into my Z (with the salesman in tow) and drove the same exact course and tried to maintain similar shift technique, cornering speed, etc. As expected, the Z pulled stronger more uniformly and more predictably throughout the rev band in every gear as we're all used to seeing. I could be wrong but that’s the impression I got. In fact I could have pushed the Z quite a bit harder but I have a loud exhaust and didn’t want to get pulled over so I was shifting around 4.5-5k.

So there you have it. That’s how I dealt with my Saturday morning boredom. Now I’ve got to find a way to coax a gullible Soob dealer to let me test drive an STi. More to come, maybe next weekend.
I also took a Evo out for a spin. The main lack of power feel is because it runs a 2.0 engine as opposed to even a 2.5 which Subaru has. But make no mistake...the 350Z will not even be a fun race on street or track for the Evo 8. The price now is standard MSRP so it's not bad in price either. Hell the Evo will out run the M3 (which would also not even be remotely in consideration of the 350Z). From what I've read, the Evo holds a few track records in which it beats out Ferrari's and Porsche's. So if I was concerned with performace...and just performance for a cheap price, I'd go with the Evo any day. Otherwise the M3 (if the money was layin' around) But yea, the Evo has a crappy interior, I didn't dig the exterior much more either...but it was FAST.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:24 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

weve shown proof that its single turbo, where is the proof that its twin turbo?

audis own website says it is single turbo, but twin intvercoolers
Old 12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
kaiser23

Originally posted by BIGGY
Hell the Evo will out run the M3 (which would also not even be remotely in consideration of the 350Z).
Except for the fact that I've seen more than one magazine road course test, and more than one video (including a best motoring video) in which a 350Z beats an M3 around the track. I know that the M3 is all around faster, but to say it's not remotely in consideration of the 350Z is not an accurate statement.

-Sean

Quick Reply: Official Socal road KILLs section! (Not rodents... racing!)