Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Just got smoked by a sti! I need a reflash but quick!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sensi09
STIs do well in the 1/4 mile due to their launch and AWD. However once moving, a revup will begin to pull, especially at higher speeds.

i think its all about the driver and different cars conditions would play in important factor....

im not much of a reader on statistics because during the honda years when i owned prior to my Z, the 1/4 said my civic would run in the 14 second range when i applied it on track i was in the high 15's low 16's on a quarter mile...

so i just learned not to pay attention to all the specs and let the driver do the talking

thats just me though
Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kalil47
Does anybody know where I can get my ecu reflashed? I got smoked by one of my friends stock sti's. It was not by much so I really looking for a reflash or program my ecu. Anybody know of anyone and prices?
350z isn't FI'd from the factory.. you're not going to see any gains like you would with the sti. He prolly talked up the ecu reflash.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boneout JZA80
i think its all about the driver and different cars conditions would play in important factor....

im not much of a reader on statistics because during the honda years when i owned prior to my Z, the 1/4 said my civic would run in the 14 second range when i applied it on track i was in the high 15's low 16's on a quarter mile...

so i just learned not to pay attention to all the specs and let the driver do the talking

thats just me though
I've ran numerous STIs with a stock '06 Z and would pull at high speeds.

Quarter mile times have much to do with the launch and traction off the line. The trap speeds however are much better indicators for roll on runs and how cars would compare on the highway.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

forget a reflash! i might get some 4.08 gears as my first and probably only "major" modification! i've been reading posts about it and it sounds like the car will come to life after a gear swap! kind of like how my old manual trans 4th gen maxima (14.0 @98.x mph) swept a lot of GT mustangs in it's day. the manual trans felt like it had lower gear ratios than an automatic model. i remember it revving over 3k at 80mph. i want this for my G35!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Quarter mile times have much to do with the launch and traction off the line. The trap speeds however are much better indicators for roll on runs and how cars would compare on the highway.

then you are a good driver
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VQdriver
forget a reflash! i might get some 4.08 gears as my first and probably only "major" modification! i've been reading posts about it and it sounds like the car will come to life after a gear swap! kind of like how my old manual trans 4th gen maxima (14.0 @98.x mph) swept a lot of GT mustangs in it's day. the manual trans felt like it had lower gear ratios than an automatic model. i remember it revving over 3k at 80mph. i want this for my G35!
how much will that swap run you and is it wanted if you are FI as well?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

its a v6 -vs- v4 thing... i would think that the v6 would trap a little better if the race was drug out a bit
Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 PM
erickim080387

v4?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so when you get smoked by a c6, you gonna get the reflash reflashed?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 PM
erickim080387

^lol

there will always be a faster car than you..
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by carfi179
If you want power and cheap go with Nitrous, Flash will give you .5 whp. Dont waste your money on bolt-ons they do nothing (well may be few ponnies)for our Z. STIs = bye bye to your Z.
fixed.

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 07-01-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by kalil47
Does anybody know where I can get my ecu reflashed? I got smoked by one of my friends stock sti's. It was not by much so I really looking for a reflash or program my ecu. Anybody know of anyone and prices?
your friend doesnt know how to drive his STi.. he should've smoked you but alot more than "not by much"..

EDIT: Yeah i've been driving with my friend in his stock 05 STi all morning... we had 3 decent sized guys in the car (driver included) too and his car pulls sooo much harder than any Z i've ever driven in (never driven in an FI Z) including mine and i have bolt-ons (spacer, popcharger, and high flow cats)... stock vs stock, the STi is an animal, and the Z cant hang... the end.

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 07-01-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 AM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M6SXTZ
how much will that swap run you and is it wanted if you are FI as well?
gears will run apx $500 + cost of instal kit and labor (upwards of $1,000 total). this is probably good for NA setup only. if you're going FI down the road then forget any other engine mod and go FI! lol kids these days....
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by VQdriver
gears will run apx $500 + cost of instal kit and labor (upwards of $1,000 total). this is probably good for NA setup only. if you're going FI down the road then forget any other engine mod and go FI! lol kids these days....
Unless you go supercharger then I think the 3.9's would still be nice..
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
carfi179

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
your friend doesnt know how to drive his STi.. he should've smoked you but alot more than "not by much"..

EDIT: Yeah i've been driving with my friend in his stock 05 STi all morning... we had 3 decent sized guys in the car (driver included) too and his car pulls sooo much harder than any Z i've ever driven in (never driven in an FI Z) including mine and i have bolt-ons (spacer, popcharger, and high flow cats)... stock vs stock, the STi is an animal, and the Z cant hang... the end.
Completely disagree with the comment you made, "Stock for stock STI" will never smoke a Z unless your a bad driver...been there done that (I used to DD a Evo and my friends DD evo's and STI's) and there great cars to me. AWD advantage 1-3rd gear. The slang "smoked" is getting beat by atleast 3 cars to me.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
ginobetterfly

Completely disagree with the comment you made, "Stock for stock STI" will never smoke a Z unless your a bad driver...been there done that (I used to DD a Evo and my friends DD evo's and STI's) and there great cars to me. AWD advantage 1-3rd gear. The slang "smoked" is getting beat by atleast 3 cars to me.
hmmm well ok... not SMOKE, but how about easily beat?

maybe my Z is just super slow or im a horrible driver, BUT, when im driving with my co-worker buddy in his stock STi even full of people, with the AC on even (LOL), his car still feels to pull much harder and be much quicker off the line and through the first 3-4 gears (like you said) then my Z when im alone in it AND its got the spacer, HFCs, and pop charger... i've never raced him and im not going to on the street, but if i did im almost 110% positive he will smo...err... beat me...

doesnt the STi have a 0-60 time of like 4.7 sec or something anyways, compared to the mid 5 sec for the Z??

i dont know... im actually really surprised we are even discussing the Z vs STi... i feel like stock for stock they are in a different league, the STi being the faster car... then again maybe when my buddy bought his used it was already tuned or something, thats highly unlikely though... and i know carfi you used to have an Evo so i dont know... confused

maybe you forgot what a stock Z feels like after having your turbo'd Z for a while haha
Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
carfi179

Your putting your Z down too much...Youll be surprise how quick your car is when you shift at the right point. Find an open/safe area to run him and you'll find out your stock Z can run side by side with stock evo's/sti's. I dont know if you have the HR motor?? If you do and you still get beat by stock sti then you...you know what I mean
Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by Nexx
so when you get smoked by a c6, you gonna get the reflash reflashed?
+1 , always gonna be a faster car
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
ginobetterfly

Your putting your Z down too much...Youll be surprise how quick your car is when you shift at the right point. Find an open/safe area to run him and you'll find out your stock Z can run side by side with stock evo's/sti's. I dont know if you have the HR motor?? If you do and you still get beat by stock sti then you...you know what I mean
yeah i know what your saying.. itll be fun to race him (in a controlled environment) and see what the Z can do... i dont know though.. im still 99% certain the STi will take it hahaha
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

where are you shifting?

Quick Reply: Just got smoked by a sti! I need a reflash but quick!!