Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Beware of CHP Smog Check CheckPoints

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM
calin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Myfirst06350Z
They also won't be targeting new cars so much as they would older cars
True, but I'm sure they'll check every single car that has a body kit or aftermarket wheels.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 PM
xknowonex

"Roadside Inspection--Smog Control Stickers

2814. Every driver of a passenger vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the mechanical condition and equipment of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of passenger vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring such stop.

The Commissioner of the California Highway Patrol may make and enforce regulations with respect to the issuance of stickers or other devices to be displayed upon passenger vehicles as evidence that the vehicles have been inspected and have been found to be in safe mechanical condition and equipped as required by this code and equipped with certified motor vehicle pollution control devices as required by Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code which are correctly installed and in operating condition. Any sticker so issued shall be placed on the windshield within a seven-inch square as provided in Section 26708.

If, upon such an inspection of a passenger vehicle, it is found to be in unsafe mechanical condition or not equipped as required by this code and the provisions of Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code, the provisions of Article 2 (commencing with Section 40150) of Chapter 1 of Division 17 of this code, shall apply.

The provisions of this section relating to motor vehicle pollution control devices apply to vehicles of the United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal law.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2814.htm

Vehicle and Equipment Inspection

2806. Any regularly employed and salaried police officer or deputy sheriff, or any reserve police officer or reserve deputy sheriff listed in Section 830.6 of the Penal Code, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this code or is in any unsafe condition as to endanger any person, may require the driver to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection and those tests as may be appropriate to determine the safety to persons and compliance with the code.

Amended Sec. 5, Ch. 292, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d02/vc2806.htm
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 AM
PrecisionZ
Sponsor
Precision Z Service

Originally Posted by calin
True, but I'm sure they'll check every single car that has a body kit or aftermarket wheels.
Then just slam your car low enough so it won't get up on the ramps and tell them they have to pay if they break anything lol.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More "Gestapo" BS.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:36 AM
BornSlippyZ

Originally Posted by SoarVigor
I wonder if that's even legal.
Kinda like DUI check points...unlawful search and seizure.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Black Z Eddie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan@PrecisionZ
Then just slam your car low enough so it won't get up on the ramps and tell them they have to pay if they break anything lol.
Then they give you a ticket for being too low.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Z Eddie
Then they give you a ticket for being too low.
Really? Is there even a standard of measurement for that?
Eg: Headlight to the ground, edge of rim passes chassis?

That seems pretty subjective considering some cars have lower aero than others.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
blackwidow350z

Like it was said before, if your up to date with your vehicle inspections then you have nothing to worry about. Unless your modified, but then again we know what we're getting into when we modify our Z's. Im guilty of that. You take the risk of getting a ticket. Oh well. You can always go stock.. The Cops are only doing their job and when it comes to check points, it comes from thery higher up's. So I dont blame them.
Besides, the judge will not care about what you think regarding these check points or if you try to fight a ticket that you got. If its in the Penal/Vehicle code book and you disobeyed that law, chances are you'll lose the case almost 100% of the time. So its not even worth complainting about this topic, 'you' vs 'the law', yeah right, good luck.. Its the price we pay to live in this great country...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:38 PM
350zsta

for us asian Z drivers, we'll most likely get picked over everyone else since "we are driving while asian" according to pigs. That sucks that the ck point was so close to me. I'm glad I didnt run into that.

as far as getting a ticket for being to low, i'd rather get a ticket for that then a fat fine for not passing smog. lol.

Even though ppl are complaining, i agree that this was a waste of ppl's time and an inconvience to those who were late to work or whatever bkuz of this dumb ck point.

to each his own.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Stolengoods

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not agree with the C.A.R.B. laws in California. I'm all for clean air but to ticket people for mods that may help that/those particular vehicle(s) run cleaner and more fuel efficient is just unintelligent.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Crom

Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Z Infidel

Soooo glad I moved out of Cali...well kinda. I miss the weather and scenery but the CHP and state laws are insane!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Z Infidel

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Really? Is there even a standard of measurement for that?
Eg: Headlight to the ground, edge of rim passes chassis?

That seems pretty subjective considering some cars have lower aero than others.
They used to measure from the bottom of the headlights to the ground when I had a slammed integra. I failed that one too.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As Charles Barkley would say..."That's terrible."
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Lee R

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
Simple answer is you only have to smog your car every 2 years so by law you don't have to! F' them especially if I were going to be late for some thing due to some impromptu 30 minute smog check BS.
Are you serious? Where is this law that states the other law stating you must be in smog legalities is only for a test?

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Kinda like DUI check points...unlawful search and seizure.
Yeah because I would rather have drunks two to three times the legal limit driving on my street. You do not know what search and seizure is either.

Originally Posted by blackwidow350z
Like it was said before, if your up to date with your vehicle inspections then you have nothing to worry about. Unless your modified, but then again we know what we're getting into when we modify our Z's. Im guilty of that. You take the risk of getting a ticket. Oh well. You can always go stock.. The Cops are only doing their job and when it comes to check points, it comes from thery higher up's. So I dont blame them.
Besides, the judge will not care about what you think regarding these check points or if you try to fight a ticket that you got. If its in the Penal/Vehicle code book and you disobeyed that law, chances are you'll lose the case almost 100% of the time. So its not even worth complainting about this topic, 'you' vs 'the law', yeah right, good luck.. Its the price we pay to live in this great country...
Million dollar answer!

Originally Posted by 350zsta
for us asian Z drivers, we'll most likely get picked over everyone else since "we are driving while asian" according to pigs. That sucks that the ck point was so close to me. I'm glad I didnt run into that.

as far as getting a ticket for being to low, i'd rather get a ticket for that then a fat fine for not passing smog. lol.

Even though ppl are complaining, i agree that this was a waste of ppl's time and an inconvience to those who were late to work or whatever bkuz of this dumb ck point.

to each his own.
When you don't get things your way, play the race card.

Originally Posted by Stolengoods
I do not agree with the C.A.R.B. laws in California. I'm all for clean air but to ticket people for mods that may help that/those particular vehicle(s) run cleaner and more fuel efficient is just unintelligent.
We do have beaches here!

Last edited by Lee R; 12-30-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Lee R

^ I forgot these puppies............
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee R
Are you serious? Where is this law that states the other law stating you must be in smog legalities is only for a test?
Read my second post smart guy, I know you have to be smog legal in Cali because I have to wrench all my **** off every two years Impromptu smog checks are BS, like most of the other POS CARB laws.

You must be a fcukin cop!!

Last edited by PikesPeakZ; 12-30-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Lee R

What about your second post? LOL! What does that mean?!?! LOL! You don't make sense....or shall I say cents because you seemed to miss this as well.

I'm not a cop but I'm damn sure to know what is legal or not when it comes to getting pulled over. You should do the same.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM
350zsta

looks like we got a fan boy on our hands =]

its all good though like you said.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
sleezye

Such a waste of our tax dollars

Quick Reply: Beware of CHP Smog Check CheckPoints