Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

HELP: Maintainance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Psyc0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP: Maintainance Issues

I posted this over in maintainance as well but they are slow over there and I trust the opinions of my Socal brethren lol Sorry if I'm not supposed to double post in across subforums.

I have an 04 Z with 38k miles (low, I didn't used to drive it much). Only engine mod is an injen intake that has been on the car since about 3k miles. Regular oil changes, etc. Have been driving it daily so it has not been sitting recently. Drive belt is getting old after 6 years and needs replacing but I don't think its causing any of the problems. So thats my background, now for the issues.

1) Clutch - I've looked on here alot at all of the clutch issues, the most prevelant being the squeeking clutch that affects lord knows how many people. I've seen the DIY where you can lubricate the joint and I plan on doing it. There hasn't been any issues outside of annoyance that I know of. My issue is not this but my clutch has recently started clicking. Not the distinct pop that some people are getting but a noticable *click* *click* *click* which you can also feel in your foot on the way down. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be, there hasn't been any noticable slipping or anything so I'm not sure if the clutch is going yet, seems low miles though.

2) Loss of Power - I've also seen threads on this although the threads seem to have a common factor of the car having sat for a few months and generally is attributed to old fuel. My car has been daily driven. On the way to work today I got to a stop light and the car stalled, dash lights all turned on and revs dropped to 0. Started the car back up fine and started driving, got into first and power dropped out, foot on gas and no acceleration, no revs. Pushed in clutch and shifted into 2nd and started fine started accelerating again and same thing happened. No acceleration, no power, no revs. Pushed in clutch and back into 2nd since I was only going ~20mph at the time and started to pull over to the side of the road but car came back after releasing clutch. Continued to work (only about 2 miles away) and parked. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this could be?

I have no idea what the deal with the first problem with the clutch. For the time being there doesn't seem to be any major issues with it other than annoying sounds. The loss of power is more troubling. I'm hoping/praying that there is somehow water that got into the fuel and filling up withs ome new gas could fix the problem but short of there literally being water in the gas from the pump 2 days ago I'm not sure how that would have happened. the other guess from a family member was a clogged fuel filter, which I couldn't really see happening with only 38k miles but if thats an issue I'll change it. Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

id start with new gas first. how far away are you from MCAS Miramar?
Old 05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Psyc0

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
id start with new gas first. how far away are you from MCAS Miramar?
About an hour. I'm in south Orange County, Laguna Beach area. I'm going to fill up the tank w/ new gas and head up to LA. If it keeps doing it past today I'll be searching for other options or checking out fuel pump/filter. Not the best time to have anythign major cost wise I'm applying to med school again **** is expensive
Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Psyc0

Update

Filled up the car after work, started driving to LA. Car stalled out again, went into limp mode and lost power. Brought it into the stealership to get it looked at since I couldn't go anywhere else at this hour and I need to have a car this weekend. Diagnosis = $104 same s what the shop I used to take my Porsche wanted to charge me, came back and said it was an open circuit in the camshaft sensor. Basically, the sensor failed, started throwing codes and sent the car into limp mode/failsafe and shut it down.

Since I already invested the money into having them diagnose and I need them to reset the ECU and such to get rid of the CEL plus the 70 dollar part I am just having them do it. Reading on here had I known the code would have saved me money but as soon as I brought the car in it wouldn't start anymore. FML What a joke. If its the bank A sensor which apparently takes about 10 minutes to replace I'm going to be pissed. It better at least be the more difficult of the two. I'll be driving out of here 370 dollars poorer and 2 hours late... ugh

Last edited by Psyc0; 05-07-2010 at 02:43 PM.