Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Detroit -> LA

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detroit -> LA

Sup SoCal Z Nuts?

Over the past couple days, I interviewed for a job in SoCal. I've always loved LA and the surrounding areas and searched for an opportunity to relocate there.

So I have one critical question coming from a Midwesterner: " Will the California car ***** come crashing down on my car if I move it there? What's involved to keep the law off your modified ride? "

My roadster is mildly modified. Test pipes with Greddy EVO2 exhaust, Injen intake and Motordyne spacer. Also, what can I get away with regarding tint? (Not that I'll have the top up often. It goes down at 53 degrees or warmer ).

Any other advice is appreciated. Especially how you handle the stupid speed bumps in parking lots and neighborhoods. (I'm dropped 30mm on Sportline coils)

Thanks y'all! I hope this works out and I can enjoy this drop top year round!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Raybrant

I came here from NY.

Got HFCs, HKS Exhaust, tints and buncha intake stuff too. Nobody's bothered me or pulled me over so I say you'd be fine. Though if you're here for a long time you'll have to get registered and pass emissions sooner or later... I say borrow some cats, return some stuff to stock to pass inspection then put everything back together.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
=BANKS=
Penis ME!

It all depends what area you will be cruising around in, but you should be fine. One of my friends for some reason wanted limo-dark-*** tint on his car and has yet to be pulled over. And he's going on 3-4 years like that.

Welcome to So Cal
Old 02-03-2012, 12:50 AM
ctadashi09

only thing i see as a red flag as far as passing the smog test is the test pipes. Borrow some Cats or go to a shop that will smog modded cars and you will be fine. Most socal police wont bother you for mods unless you are driving like an idiot.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM
jnathan68

If you are not registering the car here and keeping it registered in Michigan, you shouldn't get hassled.

If you want to register the car, you will need to have it smogged in Cali before going to register it. Smogging requires a visual inspection and a smog test. As mentioned already, you will need cats to pass. Even my HFC's didn't pass (although I have heard some will), I had to put the stock cats back on. Not sure if the Injen are CARB legal but some smog stations might not pass you if they see an aftermarket intake without a CARB sticker.

After you pass the only issue will happen if you get pulled over and sent to a Referree which should be pretty rare depending on where you end up living.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Phreakdout

Thumbs up

Great responses! Thank you everyone!

I just got an offer on the job and I am countering for a little more. SoCal is expensive and I don't want to take a big step backwards! Any prayers are appreciated!

Thanks for the info. This is relieving. I might try to keep the Michigan registration as long as possible. I love not having a front plate and we don't have smog checks in the Motor City. (How Ironic! Afterall, smog isn't going to do anymore damage to that town!) I do still have my original cats and intake so I can swap those in no time when I do decide to register.

While I was there, I took a drive down 74 Ortega Highway in Orange County. That was a blast. It reminded me a little of the Dragon in Tennessee. I took it in the early afternoon on a weekday so it was pretty empty. The rental Mercedes did great on it.

One more question: Local Z Clubs! What are the hot Z Clubs in the area? I am currently the President of the Great Lakes Z Club and I believe in being very active with the clubs. I saw a million Z's in the couple days I was there so there must ba a club or two.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
PeterFromSDiego

You should be OK. You just cant make yourself stand out. Cops will stare, but thats it.

I just got pulled over doing 97 in a 70 (yeah, sucks) and the chp gave me my ticket and that was it. I have your typical bolt ons.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
AznSky

You got the offer? Congrats! But sad cuz you'll be leaving us....

Hopefully Sarah and I will be out there within the next year as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Duckeee

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you drive like an alien and your exhaust is super loud, you'll be fine. cops there see too many cars to care most of the time.

feather the throttle when you see them around.

i miss socal
Old 02-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by PeterFromSDiego
You should be OK. You just cant make yourself stand out. Cops will stare, but thats it.

I just got pulled over doing 97 in a 70 (yeah, sucks) and the chp gave me my ticket and that was it. I have your typical bolt ons.
Hmm, bright red, lowered with fairly loud exhaust. Might have to keep the cats on to reduce some of that sound. I try not to drive like a nut. I do run with the pace of traffic. In LA, it's a pretty good pace! God Bless Californians! I don't have to push them out of the way like we have to in Michigan and Ohio.

Originally Posted by AznSky
You got the offer? Congrats! But sad cuz you'll be leaving us....

Hopefully Sarah and I will be out there within the next year as well.
Don't worry Rob. I haven't accepted yet. I still have an interview with Roush on Friday. If they offer a Roush Mustang for a company car, I might cave and stay in Michigan. LOL

However, the idea of owning a Z Roadster in an area where I can drive it every day of the year in beautiful weather is pretty awesome. Plus I would be able to attend Zcon in Phoenix this September.

Originally Posted by Duckeee
unless you drive like an alien and your exhaust is super loud, you'll be fine. cops there see too many cars to care most of the time.

feather the throttle when you see them around.

i miss socal
Gotcha! Exhaust seems to be the attractor of cops in Cali. Breaks my heart as I love the sound of my roadster. As I mentioned, I'll have to be a good boy and put the cats back on. Maybe this noble change in my behavior will inspire me to stop clubbing baby harp seals and eating spotted wood owls too!